Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

So last year wen i was trail riding on my 84 250r, the cdi went to he'll.. So last week i bought the identical 1 for it on ebay. Well 2day i installed the cdi, started her up. BUT....... the motor started to wind out. so i hit the kill switch, and the motor kept running, so i shut fuel off to kill motor. So if any one sees a problem here,let me know.. :mad:

Over-revving 2 strokes are often caused by an air leak. This causes a lean burn condition. Start with intake manifolds or boots, then base gasket, crank seals..

Search the net for "leak down testing".

well.... went to kick the 250r ovr. found i have no compression. took apart top end, looks like ill b replacing piston AGAIN:aargh::realmad::confused::skeptic:

i had a an 1985 yamaha 125 that had a cracked case and it did the same thing because it was sucking air... sometimes it wouldnt shut off with the kill switch either. A stethescope is a nice tool to help find air leeks. Yamaha sells a nice RTV silicone that works to seal air leaks until the repairs can be made, but isn't meant for a permanent fix.

After you replace that piston, make sure you do a leakdown test like MWKE recommended. Air leaks can lead to quick devastation. Also, when you replace one ignition component without replacing the rest, you probably need to adjust the timing. Or, you could just put a CR 500 motor in it.:yes::yes::yes:

Edited by DirtDemon

had 1 uv my buddies say it wast running off lower half uv motor and it was running off uv crank case oil.... Make sense?? it was smokin like an s.o.b..

If you have a bad tranny side crank seal, the motor will suck oil in to the crankcase. If the stator side seal is bad, then you will have an air leak. You will probably need to replace both seals and check the crank bearings and journals too, a sloppy crankshaft could have caused the seals to go bad creating an air leak and thus burning up your top-end.

thanks. had my buddie that owns a atv business order up all new gaskets. hope that will cure problem.

I dont believe I have ever had the New 81 R I used to have open and Since then I dont believe I have seen one opened up.....However,,,,,I thought all you had to do to time these bikes was to advance or Retard the stator....There should be 3 hash marks on the plate right???

Please Correct me if Im wrong,,,Ive never seen a timing light used on a Trike before....

Yes, you are wrong. It says in my manual to use timing light. How else would you check it by sound? The timing sounds good...Duhhh

Saul from airfools cryed the same, 3wheelerworld cryed, 3wheelerorg cryed, I don't care what these geeks say. Like I want to sit on the computer to hear some tweekers mouth going off. I could be in the garage.

Wow,,,,,Sounds like everyone but you is wrong....

Scan your manual and show me.......

Im looking right at mine....Nothing is mentioned about a light......

One more thing.....Keep the language here PG-13 like your age....Or if you want to talk trash take it to the G-Spot.....

Unfortunately, he is sort of right. A timing light is the only sure fire way to check timing on any motor. On certain machines, if the CDI, stator and coil are not all part of a matched set, it can affect timing, and should be checked with a light. If you know you have a matched set, you can usually count on the marks scribed in the stator plate, but a light is the only way to be sure.

Also, TrikeMaster, there is no need to be inflamatory here, this is a friendly forum, so please cool it down a bit. You can correct somebody without acting like a douche in the process.

Edited by DirtDemon

Never in my adult life have I ever seen anyone time any bike with a light, including me...

Like I have said before....Please scan me a Manual where it says you must use a light to time it.

I pulled my 1986 Tri-Z Manual off the Shelf......Looked up the timing procedure and this is what it says....

Ztiming.jpg

That is the procedure for adjusting the timing. If there is any error made in the process, or the guage is out of calibration it could result in an incorrect adjustment. Therefore it is best to check the timing with a light before and after the adjustment is made. Here is what my manual for says for checking the timing on a CR 500. The same process is described for adjustment as you have specified in your manual, but mine says to check the timing with a tach and timing light.

IMG00008-20091219-1952.jpg

Edited by DirtDemon

I have actually had vehicles run worse because I timed them with a light, as a motor wears, mods are made or other conditions change, the optimal timing changes a bit. So, that being said, a good ear is sometimes really a better way to time an engine than by setting the timing according to the manufacturers recommended settings. But, if you want to know exactly where the timing is, a light is the best way to check it.

The only reason I brought that up is because I never heard of it until my brothers trike blew up 3 times in a row and we couldn't figure out what was wrong. We had the manual the whole time, but didn't read the fine print...lol It shredded and spit out the Brand New Copper head gasket....lol

It was so funny because we were at the desert and we were so determined to ride we tried using high temp red inplace of the copper head gasket. bought us a whole 15 min. of ride time...lol

15 minutes is 15 minutes, I can't say I wouldn't have tried something just as desperate. I once bolted a spring post back on my clutch center from the back so I could ride the next day. I knew it was a bad idea, I even had a new one ordered up, but my friends were going out and I couldn't stand it. It worked fine all day, but I was constantly worried that it was going to give.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• early 2000s trail boss 325 4 stroke fuel issue

I wanted to ask this question before I pull this thing apart and dig into the carb. Very seldom used for a couple years but took it out the other day and it ran like crap. Blows black smoke on throttle (unburnt fuel) and sound like a multi cylinder engine with a misfire. Won't rev very high on full throttle but seems to be smooth at about 1/3 or less throttle. Choke doesn't seem to do anything and thinking perhaps it's stuck closed. If I turn off the fuel and let it run for a minute It will rev like normal under full throttle until it stalls out from no fuel but as soon as I open the fuel line again it goes right back to running rich/flooding.   Any help or ideas would be great. Trying to avoid tearing it apart and rebuilding the carb but the only thing I can think is the choke is stuck cause with the fuel off it will rev just fin seemingly as it's emptying the float bowl.

By Brian Haley, in General ATV Discussion

• 2 replies
    • 1994 Polaris Trail Boss 250 Grinding Into Gear

Hi Im new on here, so please bear wth me, I have a 1994 trail boss 250  we rebuilt the motor , adjusted the carb, and all that good stuff, now it is grinding when trying to get it into gear , reverse works fine, but not forward,idle is good.has no electric start wiring is all messed up.i do need a manual please

By Trish A Hommes, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 3 replies
    • 2005 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 won't start

Hi guys, trying to get a quad running again. It was running fine but the electric start did not work. My uncle was using it and the pull start snapped. So I replaced the pull start and electric starter motor. Now it just cranks and cranks but will not start. I have spark, I have fuel to the carb, I know this is a 2 stroke with a separate oil tank, what else should i check?

By TheJester517, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • STOLEN ATV: STOLEN 2019 CAN-AM MAVERICK TRAIL DPS 1000

THANK YOU EVERYONE IN HELPING US LOCATE THE STOLEN 2019 CAN-AM MAVERICK TRAIL. At 3:22PM on Sunday September 30th a 2019 Yellow & Black Maverick Trail was stolen from our dealership Ray C’s Extreme Store. We have information of at least three perpetrators using two vehicles (truck & car) pictured here. The Maverick Trail was tracked via Railroad Tracks to the 100 block of Youngs Road in Attica. Then continued North to Attica Road. The post STOLEN 2019 CAN-AM MAVERICK TRAIL DPS 1000 appeared first on Stolen 911. View the full article

By StolenATV, in Stolen ATVs

• 0 replies
    • Hey Men Just bought a Grizzly 700

Just bought a Grizzly 700. Very smoth and powerful.

By David Gallion, in General Talk - Anything Goes!

• 4 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By wylde1
      I would love to take one of these for a rip.
      http://www.atv.com/atc-250r-two-wheel-missile-kit-conversion?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=fb-feb2017&utm_medium=cpc
    • By mywifeknowseverythin
      I couldnt get any of the pages to work. Just looks like the site is not there anymore...Is this just me?
    • By cadet85
      hi i have a 1984 honda big red 200es cdi unit for sale,it was orderd from the honda dealership brand new got it and wasnt the problem looking to sell for 100.00 brand new perfect condition let me know if ur interested thanks
    • By cadet85
      hi i have a 1984 honda big red 200es cdi unit for sale,it was orderd from the honda dealership brand new got it and wasnt the problem looking to sell for 100.00 brand new perfect condition let me know if ur interested thanks
    • By GeoD
      Is the Yamaha Rhino destined to go the way of the Honda ATC?
      Commentary by Jon Crowley, UTV Guide
      June 1, 2009
      I was interviewed last week by a freelance reporter who is writing an article on the Yamaha Rhino and I got to thinking about the future of sport UTVs. Are Yamaha Rhinos, as well as other sport UTVs headed in the direction of the infamous Honda ATC three-wheeler from back in the 1980’s?
      If you remember way back when in 1982 (it really wasn’t that long ago), Honda introduced the ATC 200 Big Red. The ATC was a great machine, but as popularity exploded, so did the accident rate.

Honda ATC Three Wheeler
      The increase in accident levels lead to an investigation by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). In 1986, CPSC statistics suggested that most accidents were due to improper rider behavior that ignored manufacturer warnings. No inherent flaw was found in the three-wheel design.
      Honda's owners manual and product warning labels stressed the importance of proper operation to its customers. Through a national industry safety campaign, there was a 33 percent decline in recorded CPSC injury statistics between 1984 and 1988.
      Nevertheless, in 1988, ATV manufacturers entered into a 10 year agreement with the CPSC. Under the agreement ATV manufacturers made a $100 million commitment to expand safety programs. Additionally, even though three-wheel ATC sales were dropping off, manufacturers agreed to stop distributing ATCs in the U.S.
      If history is bound to repeat itself, the sport UTV is headed in a similar direction as the ATC three-wheeler. The Yamaha Rhino is currently the biggest target, and Yamaha has worked out an agreement with the CPSC to “repair” existing Rhinos. Yamaha is facing an onslaught of lawsuits from users that for the most part have tipped their vehicles over and have been injured or killed.
      From what I have seen in reviewing many of the accidents, a lot can be blamed on users not following manufacturer guidelines for proper use. For example, here are the two most recent accidents that happened in May 2009:
      13 Year Old Dies in Rhino Rollover
      Father Dies, 5 Children Injured in Rhino Rollover
      The accidents are tragic, that is for sure. But if you look past the typical inflammatory reporting that blame the machine, you will find that in both instances, many guidelines were completely ignored that would have either prevented the accident or surely lessened the severity.
      In the case of the 13 year old boy, he was not wearing a seat belt, he was under 16 years old, the Rhino was new (lack of experience), he was not wearing a helmet and there was no adult supervision.
      With the father that died in the roll over, the Rhino was carrying one driver and 5 children as passengers in a two person vehicle. No one had seat belts on, and the father was carrying his one year old son on his lap.
      If I am reading the tea-leaves correctly, I can see that improper use of sport UTVs will soon affect the types of vehicles that manufactures are allowed to build. Will the CPSC step in and limit how powerful side x side vehicles can be? Will helmets become mandatory equipment just like they are in California for ATVs? Will manufacturers be forced to add even more safety equipment? A riding lawn mower with doors, window nets and roll cages that create a safety bubble around occupants isn't too far fatched if you get where I am going here.
      Even though the vast majority of side x side vehicle owners use their vehicles without incident, all of these lawsuits, the bureaucrats at the CPSC and our efficient lawmakers are going to force manufacturers to limit how much fun we can have in our beloved UTVs. That is the sad truth.
      There are many more accidents involving bicycles per capita than there are in UTVs. If you apply the same logic to bicycles, manufacturers would have been forced to include a protective bubble around all bikes sold in the U.S. many years ago. But there are a few critical difference between bicycles and UTVs. First off, people have long ago accepted the fact that you may fall off your bicycle. And secondly, there isn't a specific manufacturer (aka cash cow) for a class action lawsuit so the lawfirms aren't interested.
      Just because you have an accident and then see an advertisement on the TV or on the internet from a lawfirm talking about accidents in a Rhino doesn't mean there is a problem with the vehicle.
      Here are a few guidelines to remember to help keep you safe in a side x side vehicle:
      Always wear your seat belt
      Always wear a helmet
      Don't drink and drive
      Keep arms and legs in the vehicle at all times
      Abrupt maneuvers or aggressive driving can cause rollovers even on flat, open areas
      Children under 16 should never drive a side x side vehicle
      Beyond following the guideline provided by vehicle manufacturers, use some common sense and take responsibility for your actions. Be sure to learn the limits of your vehicle and your driving ability.