Quantcast

which quad for me?

I ride a 07 CRF250R motocross bike right now and am looking for a quad that I'd just use for trail riding. I rode my dad's DVX400 and I'd like just a little more guns than that. I would prefer reverse and good top end pull, but they're not a must. I had in mind either a outlaw 450, 500, or 525, any 450 race quad, or possibly a stock banshee. Are these good choices for me? We're looking to spend a little over 3k at the most. Suggestions?

i'm not a big fan of polaris ATV's, although my buddy has a regular predator w/a little motor work, and it's pretty quick. My stock banshee was nothing but problems, also not very good on gas, not to mention having to mix the gas sucks. i would go with a 400 with some mods or maybe the 450, but dont top it out in the trails for long at all, or you're asking for problems. (buddy just blew his up at Black River Falls) if polaris is yo thing, go with that, i ride a stock 400 ex, and have no problem keeping up tho! Good luck in your search!!!

A 450 or larger would be the only thing as fast or faster than a stock Banshee. The Banshee really comes alive with a set of good pipes though, the stock exhaust is garbage. I might go as far as to say that a piped Banshee would be as fast or faster than any stock 4-stroke on the market, if not, it would not take much more to make it so. Banshees are good machines, a set of good pipes is a must though, and they are not the best handling quad by any means, but they do much better with some wider a-arms, a wider axle and some decent shocks. For the money you are looking to spend, I would look at some TRX 250R's, they handle great in stock form, have ton of aftermarket availability, and can be made very fast for very little money, downside, no reverse, but still one of the best quads available still today. If you can find a good 450 for that price you shouldn't be disappointed, but most of the models that come with reverse are going to be newer and not likely to be in your rice range.

I have an LTR 450 and I love it. It's a little wide for some really tight trails, and lacks ground clearance with the 20/18 tire combo. I went to a 22/20 tire setup, and dropped the front sprocket 1 tooth to compensate for the larger tires. It has worked really well for me, it only has a cherry bomb and K&N intake and it is comparable in to a CRF 250R in quickness and speed. I ride with a girl who rides the same bike and she can never get by me on the logging roads we ride on, but I can take the curves at full speed and drift the sharper turns, where she cannot. The YFZ is also a good choice, probably the machine I would have chosen myself, had I not found such a good deal on my LTR. Whatever you get, make sure you look it over very well. 450's are very high strung machines, if not properly cared for they can be an expensive disaster waiting to happen. I love my 450, the old two strokes are so much cheaper to work on.

okay, I was reading and looking at many reviews and specs on the yfz450 and ltr450. Everyone raves about how the yfz450 is one of the best quads ever made, but then the specs came. 4.4 inches of ground clearence and I ride trails? the ltr has 9.4 inches and is fuel injected. that was the icing on the cake for me, I'm gonna go for a LTR450!