Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Tazman6789

07 suzuki vinson 500 fuel shut off?

ive read the owners manual and it doesn't mention any where a fuel shut off for transportation or storage. on the carb the fuel settings mine has is "on", "prime" and "reserve" but no "off" is it suppose to be this way? what should i set this to when im transporting or storing my atv?

ive read the owners manual and it doesn't mention any where a fuel shut off for transportation or storage. on the carb the fuel settings mine has is "on", "prime" and "reserve" but no "off" is it suppose to be this way? what should i set this to when im transporting or storing my atv?

My '07 Arctic Cat DVX400 has a fuel petcock that's like your Vinson's.As long as you have it in either "on" or "res" during storage/transportation you'll be fine.It's setup for when vacuum is applied it opens and allows fuel flow.If it's like mine it gets the vacuum from the carb.When it's in the "prime"position it flows with or without vacuum.Hope this helps

no no no There is no off the only way gas can flow thru is if the motor is running so it dont matter were its turned to

It is a vacuum setup , it sits for a while it losses pressure. Now during transporting you might lose some threw the over flow line. About a ounce or two of gas. I have an 02 Ozark that is set up the same way.

Also , dirtdevil96 thank you for the reply and reminding me of the setup.:yes:

no no no There is no off the only way gas can flow thru is if the motor is running so it dont matter were its turned to

Incorrect, the prime position allows fuel to flow straight into the carb without the engine running, otherwise, if your carb is empty there would not be any way to get fuel into the carb since there would not be sufficient vacuum created by just cranking the starter.

hey dirt demon way is it i have my tank in my hands and turn it to every postion and gas only trickle out IT DOES NOT DRAIN IN PRIME so please do a little studying on how suzuki vacum is set up before you give people advice! I work for a suzuki/yamaha dealership/repair shop!

Hey Cyrus, maybe your tank is empty smarty pants. When you turn a vacuum operated petcock to the prime position, it functions just like a gravity feed system. If YOU would like to do some research, read this description of how a vacuum operated petcock works. Pretty much the same thing I said earlier just in more detail.

Below is a description from drpiston .com, and here is a link to another site that will tell you the same thing.Petcock Operation

The petcocks are vacuum operated petcocks. This means that they have a little diaphragm and valve set-up in them which responds to engine vacuum and allows fuel to flow only when the engine is running and supplying vacuum. This is is how things work when the petcock lever is set to the "on" or "run" setting. So we see that the "on" setting is actually the "off" setting when the engine is not running. So if the engine quits for any reason (as in a "down" situation), the petcock(s) will automatically close and prevent the fuel from flowing out.

These petcocks also have two other lever settings:

The "prime" setting bypasses the vacuum function and allows fuel to flow at all times, even when the engine is stopped. The purpose of this setting is to allow the carb float bowls to be filled when the engine is not running. Note that if you run your petcock(s) on the prime setting all the time, you lose the safety feature provided by the vacuum petcock. Note also that on this setting, fuel is prevented from flowing out through the carbs, into cylinders, etc.) only by the float valves in the carbs, which close when the carbs are full. Should one of these float valves stick open or leak, you then get flooding through that carb.

The "reserve" setting is used to access an additional amount of fuel when you start to run out. Here is how this works. These petcocks have inlet towers which stick up into the tank. In the "on" position, fuel flows down to the petcock through an opening high on the tower. So when you "run out of fuel" you actually have some more fuel sitting in the bottom of the tank which lies below this high inlet. When you turn the petcock lever to "reserve", a lower inlet near the bottom of the tower opens, so you can gain access to this last bit of fuel in your tank.

YOU ARE CORRET Please accept my apology i am in school for repair and work for a yamaha/suzuki dealership and a little young 35 [still wet behind my ears lol] so alot of times i THINK i know what im saying sorry Cyrus

Apology accepted Cyrus, even after you have been wrenching for years, you will still learn something new on occasion, I have been working on stuff from the time I could hold a wrench and there are still many things that I don't know. BTW, you aren't that young, you got me by a couple of years.:wink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.