Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

07 suzuki vinson 500 fuel shut off?

Tazman6789

ive read the owners manual and it doesn't mention any where a fuel shut off for transportation or storage. on the carb the fuel settings mine has is "on", "prime" and "reserve" but no "off" is it suppose to be this way? what should i set this to when im transporting or storing my atv?

My '07 Arctic Cat DVX400 has a fuel petcock that's like your Vinson's.As long as you have it in either "on" or "res" during storage/transportation you'll be fine.It's setup for when vacuum is applied it opens and allows fuel flow.If it's like mine it gets the vacuum from the carb.When it's in the "prime"position it flows with or without vacuum.Hope this helps

no no no There is no off the only way gas can flow thru is if the motor is running so it dont matter were its turned to

Incorrect, the prime position allows fuel to flow straight into the carb without the engine running, otherwise, if your carb is empty there would not be any way to get fuel into the carb since there would not be sufficient vacuum created by just cranking the starter.

Hey Cyrus, maybe your tank is empty smarty pants. When you turn a vacuum operated petcock to the prime position, it functions just like a gravity feed system. If YOU would like to do some research, read this description of how a vacuum operated petcock works. Pretty much the same thing I said earlier just in more detail.

Below is a description from drpiston .com, and here is a link to another site that will tell you the same thing.Petcock Operation

The petcocks are vacuum operated petcocks. This means that they have a little diaphragm and valve set-up in them which responds to engine vacuum and allows fuel to flow only when the engine is running and supplying vacuum. This is is how things work when the petcock lever is set to the "on" or "run" setting. So we see that the "on" setting is actually the "off" setting when the engine is not running. So if the engine quits for any reason (as in a "down" situation), the petcock(s) will automatically close and prevent the fuel from flowing out.

These petcocks also have two other lever settings:

The "prime" setting bypasses the vacuum function and allows fuel to flow at all times, even when the engine is stopped. The purpose of this setting is to allow the carb float bowls to be filled when the engine is not running. Note that if you run your petcock(s) on the prime setting all the time, you lose the safety feature provided by the vacuum petcock. Note also that on this setting, fuel is prevented from flowing out through the carbs, into cylinders, etc.) only by the float valves in the carbs, which close when the carbs are full. Should one of these float valves stick open or leak, you then get flooding through that carb.

The "reserve" setting is used to access an additional amount of fuel when you start to run out. Here is how this works. These petcocks have inlet towers which stick up into the tank. In the "on" position, fuel flows down to the petcock through an opening high on the tower. So when you "run out of fuel" you actually have some more fuel sitting in the bottom of the tank which lies below this high inlet. When you turn the petcock lever to "reserve", a lower inlet near the bottom of the tower opens, so you can gain access to this last bit of fuel in your tank.