Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

1983 Honda 185 ATC Stopped running while I was riding?!

ksulkar13

1983 Honda 185 ATC ----It made a puffing sort of noise and died and didnt start back up again I was gonna 1 Check for spark 2 Replace sparkplug 3 Check gasflow 4 clean carb 5 shoot some starting fluid in the carb

Edited by ksulkar13
Year

Dream Car Giveaway
  • 3 months later...

A thumb over the spark plug hole will tell you if you have "some" or "no" compression.

"no" compression, without any accompanying clanks or clacks makes me think the piston has a neat hole blasted through it (from detonation).

However, it is a Honda. Never heard of them doing that.

Does this engine have the weird gizmo that lifts one of the exhaust valves when you kick it to make it easier to start? If that was stuck open that would explain it.

Seems like if the timing chain had slipped enough to cause this you would be hearing awful noises.

check it for spark. I had a 185 quit and it was the electronic ignition box. The dealers price about gave me a stroke but I found a new one on ebay for $45. It's still running...It's a little guy about the size of a flasher and it's up by the coil. :mad:

I would recommend a book to adjust the valves cuz that compression release can be a little tricky.