Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

Kawasaki Bayou 300 with a problem

kenny

I have a 90 model 300 bayou bought new and taken very good care of. Always ran great and has given no trouble. It has developed a knock or rattle at low rpm when under a load. It starts fine and makes no noise at idle or when it is reved up. A frend that's a mechanic said it was the clutches so I had him put new ones in, didn't help. Carb has been cleaned, cdi box checked compression ok valves adjusted,stator checked and nothing helps. I don't know what else to look for. It sounds to me like the spark goes crazy and changes the timing, or like a bad fuel knock. This is a super good machine and has never been abused.I would appreciate it if someone could give me some ideas of what else to look for.

Thanks....Kenny B

Dream Car Giveaway

I am moving this thread to the Kawasaki forum so hopefully you will get some help from people who own or know something about the Bayou.

I have no idea it sounds like you have check most everything. DirtDemon "Josh" is probably the most knowledgeable on the list he will probably see this and chime in. I will ask my father-in-law he is very knowledgeable too. We have had a couple of those machines they are very tough. I still have a 96 Lakota my wife rides which is pretty much the same motor.

Edited by Sc0tt
added a statement about moving the thread.

A knock and a rattle are two different sounds. If I heard a rattle, I would be looking for anything that may be hanging loose and making noise, possibly a tranny bearing wearing out. A knock is more typical of a low end problem, like a work crank or crank bearings. A bad wrist pin bearing could make noise too. I hope for your sake, it is something rattling loose outside the motor, but I think it is most likely an worn internal part or parts. Good luck.

BTW Scott, thanks for stroking my ego a little, mighty nice of you.:wink: