Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

How to get a VARY stuck bolt un stuck

I have a dura blue X-33 axle on my 450r and i am trying to move the hubs out to make it +2 per side but the bolt holding the hub on on the left side is COMPLETELY stuck (its the type of axle where the hub is a clamp on style and a bolt goes though the axle and hub to a nut on the other side)

so i have tried almost everything i can think of to get this bolt un stuck and so far nothing has worked.. i have tried a 3ft pry bar, a impact gun, heating it up and then doing both of those, and so far not even the slightest bit of success :aargh:

so any tips on breaking it loose?

Use lots of PB Blaster, and give the bolt a good smack from the nut side to try and shock the threads loose. You might try a better impact gun, most common ones only generate around 350 ft/lbs of torque. I use one that makes about 750, not too many bolts will stay on with that thing whacking away it them. If the nut don't come off, the bolt will snap and you can get the hub off, just replace the bolt.

I have learned dealing with ald cars that if its a nut / bolt combo sometimes its easier to crank the impact all the way up and just tighten it until it snaps.

If its just a bolt then place a larger bolt over the head of the stuck bolt then weld the crap out of the inside. The heat will break it loose and a larger bolt gives you more meat to work with. Its worked for me on probably 100 bolts on ford flathead heads for 20 years. 65 years of water and antifreeze really gets them stuck and the later flatheads have 24 bolts head bolts.