Quantcast

raptor 660 starter issue

redneckyankee

i never seen a starter set up like this , use to work on car's but this looks crazy to me . my starter spins and makes a grinding noise, well not really a grind i cant describe it . ok pulled starter and it works fine, i took off side cover and it looks like it dosnt hit the other gear to turn over the engine. some guy told me a starter clutch ,what the heck is a starter clutch and how do i install 1

Edited by redneckyankee

ur starter clutch is bad,it is located on the left side of ur bike behind the side cover,u will also need a balancer puller to remove the fly wheel,it's not that hard to replace,go to thes site and it will tell u how to replace ur one way,as well as parts needed,i have done a couple of them,make sure u replace the 52 tooth gear...................L&A Designs One Way Yamaha Raptor 660 Starter Clutch

message me if u have any questions....good luck

One suggestion, do not use a conventional 2-3 jaw puller to remove your flywheel. There is a specific puller made for removing the flywheel on your machine, and they aren't too expensive. It screws into the flywheel and has a bolt on the inside that screws in and pushes your flywheel off. You can get away with using regular generic pullers sometimes, but I have personally seen flywheels ruined by using the wrong tool. I definately agree that it sounds like your starter clutch is the problem.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Charlesbrown
      I’m looking for a top end kit for a Yamaha. I would like to see how well the engine runs before spending $6-$7 hundred on oem. Niche has complete kits from $1-$2 hundred.  Anyone have experience with Niche or similar Chinese companies? 
    • By p5200
      The studs in the sprocket hub are stripped out. The hub is probably walloed out also. Probably will have to have a new sprocket hub. I doubt I have the ability nor the tools needed for this job. Thanks for all suggestions/opinions! 

20240225_155255.mp4   20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4  
    • By Admin
      Does anyone use GPS, whether on a device or app to record their ATV trail rides? I have been thinking about a section where our members can upload let's say a .gpx file and share their rides on a google map for others to see where there are riding areas. Not sure if this is something of interest or how much it would be used, so just trying to get an idea.
      Importing routes from files like xml, lmx, tour, freshroute, gpx, kmz, kml
    • By p5200
      Can someone please tell me what size socket I need to remove the valve cover? Thanks! 🙂