Quantcast

Well, is this ready for the junk yard?

p5200

Was going to adjust the chain. Needless to say I gave up on that idea real quick. That whole axel may have to come out. I'm still looking for a you tube on replacing that sprocket hub online with no luck so far. I'm sure that was like that when I bought it. I'm hoping I will be able to replace that myself. 🙂

Some models the nuts holding the sprocket on are on captive bolts, not studs. They look similar to what cars have for the wheel nuts.

Are you sure they are studs ? If they are the captive bolts they might just knock out with a hammer and the new ones get drawn back in with a nut and some improvised spacer.

• Like 2

I think, they are the splined type like on car or truck wheels that you have to hammer in. The nuts are on the other side and you can grab the nuts and rotate the whole stud/nut inside the sprocket hub. I don't know how I could get the nuts off when the whole thing turns. If the three holes are messed up I assume, the hub assembly will have to be replaced. A new hub price isn't bad it's just whether or not I can get the old one off. Thanks Mech! 🙂

If you can get the nuts off, by splitting them perhaps, then you might be able to pick up some car studs of a slightly bigger diameter that would pull into the hub.  To split the nuts you need something solid and steel under the stud and nut, like a big block of wood with a hunk of heavy metal on it, then you use a cold chisel to cut/split the nut in line with the stud, length-ways along the stud. Once you've cut in a bit and spread it slightly on one side turn the nut and do the same on the opposite side. If you cut enough the nut will fall off in two pieces with a bit of wrestling, or it will come loose enough to be spun off.

I may have to try that tomorrow.I found a post on a different forum. They said they had a heck of a time getting the old hub of. Said they had to apply heat and do a lot of banging. They said the new one wouldn't go far enough to hit the splines. Someone told them Appling the heat might have caused the axle shaft spline to swell. I'll get out there in the morning and see what I can do. Thanks Again! 🙂

The old hub can probably be repaired or modified to accept other bolts.

It will come apart P52.. If you open that pdf you have, go to the right section for servicing that area of the bike, then choose to print just those few pages as a pdf, it will be a small file You could then post that small file here in the page for us to check over.

Yeah not sure why but they are always stripped out, remove the wheel , remove the 3 bolts holding on the sprocket protector, 3 more nuts hold the sprocket on the hub, wet them good with PB blaster and hold the back side with vice grips or something similar to get the nut off then you can better evaluate your hub, im sure it can be saved .

• Like 1

To print a part of a pdf P52 you do what's called "print to file", you don't need an actual printer. It just sends a copy to your documents or whereever you want to save it to.

Open the pdf and check/note what pages you want to make into a new pdf and then choose print, when the printer page opens up you choose "print to file",  then you can choose print all, print current page or print pages, so go something like 101-112, or individual pages 101, 102,108,109,110,111,112. Choose preview and it will show you what it's going to look like, then hit the print button on the preview page and choose where to save it to.

Split the nuts off.. It's a common mechanics way of either loosening seized nuts or getting them right off if needed.

And if you can see the back of the bolts then it might be easy to get them right out. Worst comes to worst you put bolts from the sprocket side and nuts on the back..

I don't know about anyone else but I haven't been able to see your videos or that picture P52.. It might be that you need to save them as some other file type before uploading them..

Doh.. Tried again and the photo did open.. As you were...

• Like 1

You'll get the hang of it. It's handy for posting just a few pages.. wiring diagrams etc.

I looked in manuals I have and it seems to be fairly common build. All you'd need to do to get the old bolts out would be undo the nut that holds the sprocket hub on and slide the hub along a bit. If it's seized on the splines it might be a bit trickier. Then I'd try wedging it first off, and if that didn't work I'd pull the wheel hub etc and use metre long threaded rods to improvise a puller to pull the hub off. I always have two in my workshop so I'd get a third and put one through each bolt hole and use some old steel plate or puller hub I'd have. You might be able to use the sprocket with something behind it against the axle so the sprocket doesn't bend.

Threaded rod from the engineering supply shop's fairly cheap and handy to have.

• Like 1

I understand, most of the ones i have seen have been loose enough that i could get a hold of the backside to hold while i got the nut off, i can see the last photo you posted, but the ones before have looked like this

IMG_4624.thumb.jpeg.ce0b7e4a4c196951bcedaa17860f40a6.jpeg

been trying to figure it out, not just your photos but videos also from others, i just thought one of my settings got chaanged.

Anyway in that case you need to cut the nut off.

In the pictures it looks like if you take the chain off and rotate the concentric adjuster, and then rotate the axle, the bolts might just get past that housing and come out. And it looks like the access to the nuts is good enough to support and split the nuts off too.

I'd do that and then figure out how to fix the problem. Nuts and bolts may be a possible cheap fix till you get the rest of the bike sorted and feel ready to replace the sprocket hub.

Position it so the link is on the sprocket and then hit the ends of the link pins with a hammer lightly. That should push the link through the near-side plate and across enough to get a screwdriver in behind the other side and lever the link right out.

Back side of stud sure won't be using regular bolts with heads. There's a clip holding the sprocket hub in place along with a ton of rust I'm sure. I think, if the wheel hub on end of axle was removed the hub would slide off. Here's photo of retaining clip.

20240226_141439.jpg

To get that clip out you are going to have to slide the axle over slightly to expose the clip I think. That means undoing the big nut on the other side. A pipe wrench or big cresent will do that.

That clip looks like it's been moving against the hub, and so hopefully the hub has been moving slightly as well and won't be seized on. I'd start spraying lube on that hub now so it might soak in though.