Quantcast

2008 artic cat 500 auto 4x4

Im having some issues when putting it into gear( High specifically ) It doesn't seem to go in all the way and makes like a grinding noise and won't engage. I have to take back out and try again. Seems to happen if the engine rpm's are revving. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or similar, and what I can do about it. I only have 200 miles and 26 hours on the machine just doesn't seem right. thanks

This happens alot when you rev above idle and try to change gears. Two common problems are if your idle is turned up too high from the winter riding season (carb) or if the autochoke/efi is still set to let the bike warm up.

I believe the 500 is still a carb model if so then adjust the RPM.

Adjusting Engine

RPM (Idle)

NOTE: The idle RPM is not adjustable on the EFI

models.

To properly adjust the idle RPM, a tachometer is necessary.

To adjust idle RPM, use the following procedure.

NOTE: The idle adjustment screw is located on

the right-hand side of the carburetor.

1. With the transmission in neutral, start the engine

and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

2. Turn the idle adjustment screw clockwise one turn

past the recommended RPM setting; then

The other thing would be to check that the pod reads the correct gear and not displaying an error.

Here is a link to the service manual:

http://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/arctic-cat-atv-forum/8558-need-service-manual-here-they.html

Edited by swampcat07
Added step by step for checking idle.

• 4 weeks later...

The 2005 auto carb has a extended throttle adjustment. It will look like a rubber hose about 4 inches long with a knob hanging off the back side of the carb.

Turning clockwise will increase rpm, Counter Clockwise will decrease rpm.

Why is it doing what is doing.

When the engine is at it's proper rpm the Centrifugal Clutch is fully disingauged and the is no ingaugement of the bikes drive system. As engine rpm increases the Centrifugal clutch starts ingauging the drive system, the belt starts rotating and the trans starts turning.

The transmission on these bike are a streight gear geartrain and the there are no synchronizers in the system. So with the rpm's raising everything in the trans is moving and your trying to a move a non-rotating gear into a rotating gear. With out a synchronizer the gears will never mesh.

Why has your engine rpm gone up? More than likely it is a varnish build up in the idle curcuit. The varnish has restricted the idle curcuit causing the engine to be running leaner at idle. The lean condition causes the engine to increase rpm.

I would recommend running a good fuel system cleaner in gas. It is also a good idea to run a good fuel stablizer designed to work with ethonal. Todays gas sucks.

• 2 years later...
Im having some issues when putting it into gear( High specifically ) It doesn't seem to go in all the way and makes like a grinding noise and won't engage. I have to take back out and try again. Seems to happen if the engine rpm's are revving. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or similar, and what I can do about it. I only have 200 miles and 26 hours on the machine just doesn't seem right. thanks

I have a 08 arctic cat 500 an mine did the same thing just took it and got it fixed what it was the teeth on the gear had broke off