Quantcast

1997 Sportsmans 500 - drive belt pulley grinding on housing

Deerslayer

The drive belt pulley has been grinding against the belt housing for quite some time (long time). I was able to adjust the bracket at the bottom of the housing to keep it from grinding under normal operation but under high torque conditions it grinds and especially during shutdown of the engine. I have been unable to find a spot in the adjustments that works for all operation. Has anyone else dealt with this? I am thinking that there might be something amiss in the engine mounts or something. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike, thanks for the response. The belt has very little time on it and is in good shape. You can see where the drive pulley is hitting the housing and causing the grinding noise. I can loosen the alignment bracket underneath the housing and it will cause the pulley to hit the housing continously. I bought the sportsman new in Oct 98 and have just under a 1000 hrs on it with virtually no trouble other than a couple electrical issues and this issue which I just have put up with over the last few years. it is mostly annoying and does not cause any performance issues. Still runs like a champ!

• 2 weeks later...

I see allot of the belt covers shrink with age or after getting hot you might pull it off and heat it up where its rubbin with a heat gun I use a spoon lookin tool to push it back out. sometimes its to far gone and has to be replaced they are about 120.00 new.... Polarisatvrepiar.com Good luck, Todd

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mga
      I have to replace all 4, how much is involved?  Will they slide out of the front yoke? Or, do the boots just slide over the wheel end?

• By joelhofer
      Hi everyone Merry Christmas! Am a newbie here so I can’t access the service manual till I have 10 posts, how much torque when bolting down the top end on a Bayou 300 4x4? On the 4 long bolts
    • By Params_sweden
      Hi!
      I got my KLF300 running again with your help a couple of months ago, at that time it was the ignition coil that had failed. It has been in use since then without issues until two weeks ago.
      When the new issue showed I was going at about 10km/h and it suddenly slowed to a halt. I started it again after that with choke and I drove it 400 meters and parked. Next time it was really hard to start, and since it was low on gas I thought that was the problem. It didn't get any better with a full tank, so I assumed it was the cold weather, and adjusted the pilot slightly.
      After that it I actually got it started again with full choke and some slight gas, I drove about 300 meters and then it slowed down to a halt again. After that, it hasn't started again.
      The compression is 165psi. The spark has good intensity, the ATV has functioned before with the same spark "intensity"/light. I *assume* that it has gas as well, there is definitely gas on the spark plug when I remove it
      I have checked the carburetor slightly, the float works, diaphragm looks ok, but I haven't disassembled it to really look for dust and such in all the small places.
      My theory right now is that it might've been some dust in the gas tank that went into the system, it's just a theory
      I'm thankful for all the help and pointers I can get, don't hesitate

/ Pär, Sweden

• By Jhb12686
      Hello I appreciate the welcome into the group. I am beyond frustrated with this desperate search for parts. I have a 2013 XY power sports UTV 300. I had a catastrophic failure in my rear differential which resulted in the destruction of almost everything inside. I have located everything I need to completely redo the rear end. But I cannot find a short side axle shaft with six splines etc. it's an offset differential and one shaft is longer than the other and I need the short one. The tip of it broke off (pic). Any help in getting another shaft for this thing would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys

• By BOHUNTER
      Hi  all, I have just come into possession of a 85 lt230 shaft drive but I cannot find any clutch adjuster on it anywhere....
      Can someone help me out here or do I have to replace the clutch...
      Tia