Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jef_In_Arviat

2009 Outlander MAX - Gas in the oil

I just dug my Outlander out of The snowbank last weekend (yes we're just in the transition from Skidoo to ATV Season)

I did my spring once over and changed the oil a few days ago and noticed there was gas in it. In fact instead of 3L of used oil there was 4.5 L of liquid....

After driving for a few days (maybe only 10 - 20 km) I rechecked my oil and it smells like there is some gas in it again.

Any suggestions on where to begin my trouble shooting?

Thank you

Jeff

there is one way in for fuel from cylinders but it have to be very high mileage on the engine and u feel less torque

there is one way in for fuel from cylinders but it have to be very high mileage on the engine and u feel less torque

Are you referencing worn piston rings?

Jef_In_Arviat, do a compression test. You may be getting some blow by gases into the crank case.

try to change the oil for now

I agree, change that oil and make sure you use ATV oil with all the correct additives.

The only way that I know fuel can get into the crankcase on an EFI machine is blow by. Worn rings, damaged cylinder wall, or a damaged piston will allow compression to leak by the piston and into the crankcase. In a machine as new as yours, this is not common, but still possible. Using the wrong oil, not changing the oil, not cleaning the air filter are all things that can speed up engine wear. If the machine has been neglected, things can wear down pretty quickly. I would start by doing as Ajmboy suggested, do a compression test.