Quantcast

2006 Arctic Cat 400 transmission shudder

Does it feel like it is slipping at all? Does that thing have a high and low range? If so, does it do the same thing in high and low? Could be a clutch problem, could be a problem with the gears themselves, could be a bent shift fork or shift cam or any part of the gear switching mechanism. You may find that the problem gets better by changing the oil. I would do that first and when you drain it, check for any metal chunks or flakes in the oil. When you fill it back up, use good oil, we have an AC guy here who is pretty knowledgeable, I'm sure he will chime in with some more helpful stuff. Good luck.

Guest S-Hardy

Yeah it sounds like you my have some clutch problems changing the oil might help out you might want to check on using maybe a little thicker oil I would call and ask the dealer. It been a older mod like that it might need something a little thicker because the clutches have some wear on them .

thanks for the replies, I too was wandering about the clutches, the bike has about 126 hrs and a little more 900 miles, I left the bike with the local dealership for the last two weeks and came away from that experience totally unsatisfied. I talked to a local indepedent tech on 6/10 that told me more in 5 minutes than the dealership did in two weeks. I delivered the bike to his shop on 6/11 and they thought they would have an opinon by 6/13. So, thanks again for responding, I'm taking the bike into northern New Mexico in september and don't want it to break down on the back side of Greenie Peak

• 2 weeks later...

hello all, I want to throw out a thank you to DirtDemon and S-Hardy, appreciate ya'lls replies, got the cat out of the hospital today and went for a short ride this afternoon it sure felt a lot better. The tech adjusted the clutch pkg, he said it wasn't really ready for a new clutch yet, I was pleasantly surprised at that, I was sure I was going to hear that I needed a new clutch

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By McG75
      1996 4x4 Timberwolf rearend width. Can someone with some knowledge of these machines answer this question for me please. Are all 4x4 timberwolves this narrow in the rearend? These tires are so close the right one actually rubs the muffler.  Thinking about seeing if there are any spacers out there for it. I need at least an inch more clearance. 

• By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!