Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4WD Light On, Oil Burning

pwozzy00

OK i had an 05 king quad 700 up untill last year, i owned it for 3 years and it was the best machine i ever owned. i sold it only because i was buying a house and needed the money to put down, after getting settled in and finances back in order i had to go buy another one. unfourtinatly i jumped on the first " Good Deal " i came across and man im paying for it. bought an 07 king quad 700 with 1300 miles on it, came with a plow, winch and a nice wheel kit for $3,500. i jumped on it took it for a test ride and mechanicly everything seemed good, cosmeticly it is pretty scratched and you could tell it was well ridden but everything seemed to work just fine

I took it home and rode it for about a week with no problems and decided to get some beefier springs, some skid plates, and a few misc parts for it as well as change all the fluids since the guy i bought it from i doubt did much maitenence.

after putting it all back together my 4wd light is on on the display but the 4wd will not engage. the light just stays on and if i put the dif lock switch up it just blinks??? it was working perfectly before i took it apart but i did nothing with any of the drive train, checked the dif fluids but they seemed clean and full so i left them alone. any suggestions, ive tested the switch and relay and both seem to be working ok

next problem

I changed the oil and now every time the machine sets for 2 or more days it smokes like crazy when i start it. it will do this for 10-15 seconds then clears up and has no sign of burniung anything or smoking or anything, only at first when it sits for a few days. its definetly an oil smoke, i checked to make sure i didnt over fill it and double checked everything...im lost....

any help with either problem would be great

I would get more input on this but with a car if it smokes on start up and goes away it's valve seals in most cases which lets oil leak into the cylinder. Some one on here may know something other than valve seals. Did you happen to unplug any connections while changing out the springs. look at your front diff and follow any wiring comming from it and make sure it's connected good.

yea thats kinda what i suspected with the oil but it was just weird how it didnt do it untill i changed the oil

as far as the 4wd, ive traced everything, all plugs are where there supposed to be, pulled all of them apart and cleaned them and put in some die electric grease, pulled apart the switch box on the throttle and made sure it was all in tact and cleaned, unplugged the battery, tested power coming to and from the relay and everything seems to be doing what it should, i just dont know much about the difs on these and dont want to start pulling that apart unless ive got some advice to go by.

i downloaded the service manual but thats not much help as far as troubleshooting the 4wd

I have an 02 prairie 650 in 03 kawasaki added a belt light to let you know when their was a problem with the belt. Mine on the other hand flashes between 2wd & 4wd. If the Suzuki is anything like the prairie. Also check the front actuator if it has one on the front diff. On the prairie I was able to take mine off and start my quad and flip my switch to see if it rotated. I ended up having diff problems instead. I have over 2,000 miles on mine. I'm sure someone will be able to help you better than me on here so don't give up.

Great machine, I used to own a 2005 700 myself. I'm not sure about the light except that if it wasn't happening before, it's probably a direct result of the replacement parts. How much higher is it sitting and is there any info at the aftermarket parts website on this happening?

As far as the oil, I agree that in a car, valve stem seals were always to blame on gm motors especially, and in this case, have you checked the air filter? It's sucking oil into the combustion chamber.

* Added full year into thread title along with issues.

the springs are highlifter springs and after installing them i put my stock wheels back on and parked it next to my buddys stock 06 kq 700 and its only about an inch taller but is definatly a much nicer stiffer ride.

as far as any other aftermarket parts it was just misc stuff like hand gaurds, HID headlights, and moose alluminum skid plates but nothing that would have any mechanical effect on anything

ive gone up and down the 4wd electronics and im not seeing anything that may have come unpluged, pinched or shorted out in any way. Ive heard other people on different quads have similar issues and they said theres a way that it may have not fully engaged before the machine was shut off and it confuses the system and theres a way to jump a 12v power to the actuator to get it moving again but i dont know where to start as far as doing that

My prairie got stuck in 4wd it ended up being a shaft & the gear that engages inside the diff. My switch and everything else was working but my 2wd 4wd light switched modes like it should but the quad stayed in 4wd. Like I mentioned I pulled my actuator I did forget I jacked it up off the ground all for wheels and ran the quad as it was running I flipped the switch to see if the actuator was working. I know it sounds like a lot to go thru but I was able to see that the actuator was working. It ruled out everything but the diff. My actuator has a small block of metal that slides a collier the block was worn down but was not the problem. I could manual slide the collier and it stayed in 4wd. Thats what I went thru to find out it was the diff.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

ok I have played around with the electrica etc seems fine I take out bolts for actuator and when I pull it out not all the way a it hits mount you here it disengage light goes out on dash.

press button and it trys to engage again but not?

some one poste some ware could be dirt in actuator? is there awayto get actuator out with out removing whoe diff?

Ive never taken one out. Manual says it comes off after diff removal. Can you pull the actuator out far enough to disengage the shaft from the diff? Good news on the lights at least. You`re getting close to the answer. There is an electric motor on it that looks like it can be removed. Don`t know whats in there. Could be springs, shims, and switch contacts that might fall lose. Your call if you want to try that.