Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

rexy1989

Honda 400ex - Rear Brake Issues

i thought i had bent my back disk brake because the pads are making a grinding sound every quarter turn and the caliper was wobbleing so i took it off to replace it and it was not bent ..........could i had bent the actual caliper or was it knocked out of place ?.......are either of these possible if so witch is more likly?

Check the caliper mount though i doubt it. It might be the brake rotor or hub mount itself. Its not hard to replace the rotor or hub.

Also I have a big problem with mud caking up inside the caliper. Make sure the caliper is clean and the slide pins are gunk free.

If the noise doesnt bother you leave it..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

ok ill def make sure the caliper is clean i bought new rotor and pads im going to throw them in although i dont think the rotor is the issue ill keep you posted thanks

rexy1989

i thought i had bent my back disk brake because the pads are making a grinding sound every quarter turn and the caliper was wobbleing so i took it off to replace it and it was not bent ..........could i had bent the actual caliper or was it knocked out of place ?.......are either of these possible if so witch is more likly?

I`d check your Rotor first !! Calipers are hard to bend or break

i replaced the rotor and pads and cleaned the caliper def helped with some but not all the noise ....as far as my caliper wobbling i tightened the bolt that holds the lil mount to the caliper and with the new rotor and pads everything seems the roll nicely.....but decided to roll the quad while the caliper was off and there is still a noise ....... so the issue must be worn out or blown axle bearing i'm assuming ?

rexy1989

Its possible its the carrier bearings making the noise. Did you verify that the rotor hub is true?? If the rotor hub is bent the rotor will bend when its bolted onto it. How bad is the noise?

Last thing would be to remove the rear axle and spin each carrier bearing individually by hand to see if they are making the noise. If no avail post a video of the source of the noise

hey thanks for the help after finally getting around to fixing the problem it ended up being a blown bearing in the carrier it had a lone star dual bearing carrier in it witch i was not aware of because i bought it used ...3 of the 4 bearings were in ruff shape but still solid i believe thats why there was no play in the rear end ....there was also a crack in the carrier i imagine from the previous owner beating the bearings in so i have ordered an entire carrier assembly just waiting on it once i install it make sure 100% everything's good to go ill let you guys know thanks again for the help

rexy 1989

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.