Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Bigredneck01

1998 Honda TRX 300 - Sunken Fourtrax

ok i got a honda foutrax trx 300 4x4 1998 for free the guy i got it from sunk it and it has ben setting up for a while what all do i need to do to get the motor to run i got spark and all electricall parts working and has compression but im not shure the exact amout of compression maybe valve adjustment??

change the oil, dump the gas, add new gas and go from there. you got spark, so what about fuel? spray some quick start in the carb to see if it bites. maybe have to do some carb work only ...

ok i will change the oil and the gas tank is all dryed up but for now i just have a go cart gas tank on it cause all i realy wanna know is how bad off the motor is and i did put some gas in the spark plug hole it hit one time but im thinking the carb is stoped up so it dosnt have enough fuel to go through i will look at that this weekend and see what happens thanks for the help

New engine and throttle bodies an clutch and tranny. Actually it would probably be better to just replace all the guts since you don't know exactly defective.

thanks for reply i realy am just seing what exactly i can do with this engine just to atleast get it crank one time i got it for free and realy dont want to spend the money to get a new engine but i am glad u did mention clutch and throttle body i havent even looked at that yet thanks for the help

Hopefully you wont need to change the guts, but you never know. I would try and change the oil and gas. I've sunk many atvs, but if they are not dried for a while, it could be an issue.

I've hydro-locked my pistons and had to remove the spark plugs then crank it to remove the water. But still good afterwards! :yes:

Well i did get the motor to crank for a minute but i just thru gas in the slark plug Hole i still need to clean the carb out real good and possibly order a rebuild kit for it but it will crank every now and then im guessing fuel issue but im not shure and motor looks good it didnt look bad at all

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Brother Buddy Gardner
      Hello everyone! I recently purchased this quad for a mere 300.00 and it is pretty clean for the year. I bought it from a guy who bought it in a storage unit. He didn’t know anything about it. I got it home and noticed it did not have an ignition coil for the spark plug. I bought the ignition coil, a new battery, new CDI box, new starter relay, new safety neutral relay, new carb and so on... I got it to turn over, but when I pull the plug and check for spark I have nothing.. it has a non factory starter button that works when I push it and turns the engine over no matter if the key or stop switch is on or off..not sure what that’s all about, but it does turn over..just no spark at the plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    • By Red1
      Anyone know a good place for parts/plastics? I've seen junk for sale on eBay and overpriced. 

I need the left side cover (triangle plastic) for my 1985 250es

• By 1911Neil
      I had a quad fall in my lap a couple weeks ago. The only things I knew about it was it was a Kawasaki Bayou 220, was in pretty rough shape and was free. I couldn't say no to a fun little project. I've been looking a different ATV forums gathering quite a bit of info and decided this was the one I wanted to join.
      Thanks to this forum, I found the VIN under about an inch of mud and cross referenced it to be a '98. It had been sitting outside for at least 5 years and was told it ran when parked, but had no brakes. Squirrels or mice had been chewing on the handlebar controls and it's generally just kind of beat up.
      So far, I've gone through the carb (not near as bad as I expected), freed up the brakes (will probably need new cables), replaced the spark plug, air filter, petcock and put a new battery in it.
      The gas tank had been empty and looked clean so I put some fresh gas in it and tried to crank it today. I got a neutral light, but the starter button did nothing. I tried pull-starting it and it wouldn't fire. I checked the plug and wasn't getting a spark. I started digging and found some potential issues and some definite problems.
      I have a wiring diagram I found on here but it's just a picture or scan out of a book and hard to read. I don't see a reference to a black/yellow wire, which is my first problem.
      First, it that a factory crimp? One of those wired looks like it goes to the connector in the 2nd pic. Is that just a spade lug type connector? I pulled on it with some needle nose pliers but it didn't seem to want to come off. In the 3rd pic, should there be a fourth wire?
      I've read through and bookmarked the threads Andrew Baker and Arizona have going but I figured I needed to start with these obvious issues first. I have lots of pictures, so if there is something else you want to see, just ask. If I don't already have a pic, I'll take one.

• By Randy1951
      Quad starts fine and revs fine in my back yard. On a test ride it falters badly. No power. I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb, cleaned the fuel tank, installed new fuel filter, changed fuel line and cleaned the air filter. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Chase Cook
      Hi I was riding my Honda the other day and I gave it gas for about a quarter-mile just flooring it and then it started to lose power. I pushed it about a mile home which was a pain in the butt but when I got home It still had gas, compression and spark. Do you think the timing jumped possibly?
    • By goldenroot
      View File 2005-2006 Honda TRX500FE/FM/TM Fourtrax Foreman Service Manual
      Manual  covers the following models:
      2005 Honda TRX500TM FourTrax Foreman

2005 Honda TRX500FM FourTrax Foreman

2005 Honda TRX500FE FourTrax Foreman 4X4 ES

2006 Honda TRX500TM FourTrax Foreman

2006 Honda TRX500FM FourTrax Foreman

2006 Honda TRX500FE FourTrax Foreman 4X4 ES

Submitter goldenroot Submitted 04/19/2020 Category Honda ATV  
    • By goldenroot
      Manual  covers the following models:
      2005 Honda TRX500TM FourTrax Foreman

2005 Honda TRX500FM FourTrax Foreman

2005 Honda TRX500FE FourTrax Foreman 4X4 ES

2006 Honda TRX500TM FourTrax Foreman

2006 Honda TRX500FM FourTrax Foreman

2006 Honda TRX500FE FourTrax Foreman 4X4 ES

• By Arnold Schimberg
      Hi Guys
      I have 88 4trax FW , it has a booster circuit
      In the cdi control fed from a leg in the alternator. 
      MY Honda service manual says you will get no spark without this circuit on this model. 
      Can someone explain a little about this please ?    Thanks
    • By Guythis448
      Looking for help on wiring up stock wiring harness specifically for a '88 Honda TRX 300 
      If anyone could drop a link or send me a PM it would be much appreciated