Quantcast

2004 CanAm Outlander 400 - Stalls Above 900'

rainforest

Hi Folks,

This is my first post...

I have a 2004 Outlander Max XT that stalls out above 900 feet (yes, 900, not 9,000'). It progressively gets worst the higher you go.

I have consistently returned to the same location / elevation and it always "acts up" above 900' and gets worst up to 1,900'. I have cleaned the carb and replaced most all seals & jets with a rebuild kit.

When it happens, I am completely on my own. It will not start again without a 1/2 hour+ wait unless...

I can sometimes manage to temporarily get it running in short (15 second - 2 minute) bursts by:

1. Draining the carb

2. Waiting a few minutes

2. Spraying starter fluid into the carb

3. Starting it, then slamming it into gear

4. Going like heck (wide-open throttle)

5. If it starts, it will then give me a short burst until it succumbs/stalls again

6. Repeat until I drop below 800-900', then it runs fine

I was thinking of putting in after-market jets, but I would rarely go above 2,000' around here and possibly up to maybe 5,500' in other parts of the state (Alaska). So I am here at this forum looking for a few suggestions.

FYI - I live at sea-level or there-abouts and there are no dealers anywhere close.

Thanks for your time.

• 1 month later...

Howdy, I joined this forum hopeing to find answers/solutions on the same machine with the same symptoms. Looks like we are in the same boat and looking for answers. The only thing I can think may be the issue (if these machines are equiped as such) would be a computerized altitude adjusting system that adjusts the air fuel mixture according to altitude. This si a friends machine and I'm not near it at this time but would appreciate anyone's inpute. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have a 2009 Can-Am 400 and it too is stalling at higher altitudes. I do believe it has something to do with the computer. After all, it works lovely at lower levels. So that eliminates any mechanical problems. From what I can find out its been programmed to operate at sea level or handy there abouts. Need to address this matter with Bombardier and find out solutions.

I think I may have solved the stalling problem with my 400 Can am. I removed the 5/30 oil that was in the bike and I put in a heavier grade 15w/40 dinosaur oil not that synthetic crap. I changed the plug to a colder range and I went for a full day yesterday in the mountains and I didn't have a single issue with stalling out. Rode it in rode it out trouble free.

• 2 months later...