Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

sparkplug

1999 Polaris 500 Diesel / starting issue

Hey here's a topic you don't have everyday.  Wanting to buy a quad on Craigslist ( 1999 Polaris 500 Diesel ). Guy bought with intentions to get running well he has no time for it now. PO said it ran one day and not the next. Current owner said it looks to be ridden hard in past. Im wondering what issues it has about starting?  Most likely has a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.  ( i thought all diesel engines had fuel filters ) Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with these models? Thanks

I was checking out eBay for a fuel pump and there isn't much but there's some switches that could cause it not to start ( safety switches ) like a thermal switch and a couple other switches. Easy fix i know but just no experience with diesel engines.  $1200 hundred bucks is the asking price, and it comes with a winch & plow so it's a 4- wheeler. they only made these for 3 years 99, 20 & 2001 Thanks for reading. 

I wasn't aware either till i saw it on Craigslist.  Now there's another one on Craigslist. Same issue. Im just interested because I drive a semi-truck for a living, and it's weird.  It's a Polaris 500 Diesel it's got huge letters on side of tank DIESEL. 

I have a polaris diesel ATV. I think it is a 1999. Runs great. Had 2 batteries but replaced them with a single utility tractor battery. No problems starting, even in sub-freezing temps. Only issue is when going from 4wd to 2wd the front end seems to stay engaged/locked, making it difficult to steer. Also had some issues with shifting to low, but some tweaks to shifting rods have resolved that. A fantastic working machine. 

May be a joke to some, but truly is a beast of a machine (especially for those that want a work machine). 

May be a joke to some, but truly is a beast of a machine (especially for those that want a work machine). 

I'm in the middle of putting a 99 diesel into a 2009 frame....

I bought the engine (nothing with it) by mistake (thought it was a different engine till it was too late to back out) and it sat here... a week ago I found a free to me 2009 500 with a locked up engine...

so far everything will be simple to swap out... mounts are in the same places, hoses hook up the same, and the clutch will swap as well.  Its good to read you like yours, I'll try to keep you updated on how this one turns out.

• Like 1

Got it to run today, just needed the injector cam/throttle linkage freed up... Got it in place, what a pita working the engine/transmission in that hole... I'll have to move the two front small suports a little forward and move the mounting brackets a little but everything should work out well... Also will have to change the drive belt to be a little longer.  Dayco has a wonderful page that list lengths/widths if anyone ever needs it.... Maybe even do a new thread once its complete... But its not like your going to find a lot of Polaris diesel threads on here...

• Like 1

Fyi - mine had 2 batteries. Switched them out to 1 bigger utility tractor/mower battery. Never had an issue starting, plus a lot cheaper than the stock mc batteries. 

• Like 1