Quantcast

04 Arctic Cat 500 starting problem

A friend of mine has a 2004 Arctic Cat 500 (Suzuki Engine). The last ride it went on was 18 months ago and has sat since. At that time it would back fire once in awhile, then run fine. Drained the gas and replaced with fresh the other day. Tried to start it without success. Tried 3 times with either and it ran approximately 3 minutes each time. Removed carburetor which was green inside and cleaned thoroughly. Did not fire even with either. Replaced spark plug. Didn't help. Timing is good, compression is 60 PSI, Intake pipe has no holes. Ordered new carburetor. Anyone have any suggestions other than blowing it up?

Hazard

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 (Kawasaki engine) that I leave sit for about 7 months a year, as I am elsewhere. It, at first, won't start. This has been typical for about 6 years. Then, I pull the plug to make sure I have spark. At one time, I thought the fuel pump was at fault, so I replaced it (no difference). I replaced all the fuel and vent lines, so I could see if fuel was getting to the fuel pump and on to the carb. What I found, was, even though fuel was traveling to the carb, it apparently was not priming the carb enough, or at all, to allow it to start. The solution, now for first startup, has been to take the line off the fuel pump to the carb and blow fuel down it. Works every time now. Another thing you could do, is blow on the line from the fuel pump back to the fuel tank. It could be that, after sitting for awhile, the fuel filter in the tank is clogged enough to sufficiently dis-allow fuel flow to the fuel pump.

Also, beware of cracked and aged fuel and air lines. They definitely will prevent starting and/or cause erratic running problems, which was the main reason I replaced all my lines.

Let me know if you have luck.

Edited by data89
another thought

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Clydaho
      2022 Sector 550, 414 miles on it and the gas gauge reads empty.  I topped off the gas and it didn't change.
      There is no fuse that I could find.  No access at the gauge cluster.
      Wiring on the top of the tank looks good, properly connected.
      Could the sending unit in the tank be stuck or broken?
      Has anybody removed the tank lid?  Any tricks?  
      Any other ideas?
      Thanks for any help,
      Clyde
    • By ethie
      Hi All
      I have a 2012 Coleman 500 Outfitter that keeps fouling out the plug within 10-15 minutes 
      not sure where to start
    • By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV