Quantcast

Out and about in 2017

Had a very long winter and now a very long Hot DRY summer which I have a feeling will hamper the rest of our riding season as our state has 23 forest fires going right now and makes me a little nervous about going up into the mountains, Have only been out twice this year which really sucks but know one thing for sure am looking for an ATV with PS and IRS. Love the reliability of the Hondas but they are kicking our but when we go out.  The Solid Rear Axle is a killer for the wife, and she's not liking the manual shifts so much this season.  Don't want the issues that I've read about with CanAm and sorry but Polaris is not even in the running, everyone that I know that has one has nothing but trouble with it. So not sure what direction to go for sure.  So here's a few pics from those two rides, can never get enough of being in these mountains.  The trail that we were on in the last few pics was a new trail to us so that was fun, found out that it runs for about  25 miles, as the crow flies, into two other drainages and that will be a blast to explore, love the new trails.

20170715_103922.jpg

20170715_124612.jpg

20170715_162002.jpg

20170715_174251.jpg

DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG

20170730_152226.jpg

20170730_161520.jpg

20170730_171101.jpg

20170730_174556.jpg

20170730_171202.jpg

20170730_184836.jpg

• Like 2

Actually I have, I think that they both look like great machines, the people that had them for sale wanted a bit more than I could afford, I haven't had any encounters with the forest service yet about riding two up on a single so could probably get a way with either one.  I will continue to look though.  Thanks for the comments on the photos, I am very blessed to live where I live, going to twist the wife's arm and see if I  can get here to go out again today to hit another new trail, we'll see.

Look   up  Kymco..  They  are Taiwanese,  not  mainland  Chinese... They  used to  be  with  Honda  before  they  went  on their  own.  They  build motors  ans clutches  for  other  big name brand   Quads . They  also  build parts  for  BMW  cars.   Kymco  happens to  also  be the official  scooter  and  ATV  supplier  to the  NHRA. 

Kawasaki  and others   use  Kymco  built  parts,  and   Kawasaki  also  rebrands   a Kymco  scooter ..  They   are far  from  being  a  junk manufacturer.

But  call  them  junk  as  you  wish, but those  that  condemn  "Chinese "  manufactured  parts  and  equipment really  should  learn where  far too many  of their  Good  ole   USA  brand tools,  machinery,  electronics and many other things  are  made. Kymco manufactured clutches   are  used  in several CTV  applications. 

No,  I  don't  own  a  Kymco, nor  do  I  have any investment  in them or  any  other   Chinese  or  Taiwanese   companies , but  I  really do think    people , especially in the  US  need to  learn  where  a  lot  of the  parts  and  equipment  they  buy  that  has  old  time  American  names on it and have  American  parent companies should  learn  where  so  many  components   are  made  and  how  many   items  they  buy  with  American  brands on them  are actually  rebranded from  an  off shore  manufacturer;  many  of them  unheard  of  outside their home country.

A  lot of  junk  does  come out of   mainland  China, but  a  lot  of top  notch  things do  too.. Unfortunately   the  same can  be  said  of  Canadian  and  American  manufactured  products.  The  country  of  origin  doesn't  necessarily   determine whether  a  product is  junk or  not.

Edited by davefrombc

davefrombc, 

I wasn't myself calling Kymco  junk or crap, that is just what I have heard and read a few people say, in fact I got online and did some research, they do look like a decent machine and I myself read that they were associated with Honda. Too bad they don't make a 2 up machine. We do not have a dealership around here for them but there is one dealership that carries CFMoto

Far too  many  sniff at   Chinese ( and  Taiwanese  or  Korean ) made products  and declare them  junk  without   having  a clue  what they  are really  like.. and  at  the  same time  tout  some  name  brand North  American  products....... that  are in  fact  manufactured  in the  countries  they  sniff  at ..   LOL. . Kymco  is  a good example of  just one of those companies.

Americans  aren't the only  ones to do  it  by the  way ..  I'm  afraid  Canadians  can  be  just  as  prejudiced  against  Asian  manufactured  goods that  come from  anywhere  other than  Japan......  and  I  can  remember  when everyone  was saying   if it was  made  in Japan  it was  junk..... Until  the  Japanese  started  putting  American  and Canadian  made  cars especially to  shame  for quality. Optics  and electronics  both  saw  many  Japanese brands   become far  superior  to   offerings made in  North  America.  We're  seeing    the  start  of  a repeat   of that  with  today's  China  too . . Still  lots  of   junk, but  also  a  lot  of top  notch products .

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By 1998Zuki250
      What are your riding location preferences? Mud Park? Personal Trails? Public Land?