Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

CDI ignition

So quick question. Has anyone tried the cdi box in the oven trick?  I have posted a topic last week on my 1990 Honda fourtrax. Picked the bike up cheap. Bike had no spark so I went right to the obvious suspects. Cdi, stator, coil etc.  Stator coil was coming back with good readings but still had my doubts and also wanted to change it for the learning factor.  Anyway no good. No spark and the new cdi is two weeks away.  So I remember watching a video on YouTube about putting the cdi on the oven on 250 degrees for ten min! Somehow draws the moisture out if any! I tried this today and to my surprise the darn thing came right back to life. 

So anyway just curious on the input on this. Would you change the box ? I resealed it with silicone? It's still working great and the bike is performing very well. 

Just curious on everyone's input. 

Thanks. 

I've  never  tried it. Glad  it worked  for  you;  but  I'd  keep  that  new   box handy.  As  long  as you're  riding with  at  least  one  buddy  and  not too far  off the beaten  path I'd  leave  the resurrected box in the  machine.  It  may  live on forever  or  it  may   die tomorrow,  but that  can  be  said  about  just about  everything.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Charlesbrown
      I’m looking for a top end kit for a Yamaha. I would like to see how well the engine runs before spending $6-$7 hundred on oem. Niche has complete kits from $1-$2 hundred.  Anyone have experience with Niche or similar Chinese companies? 
    • By opnea
      Where do yall ride at in South Florida other than the MX track on Krome Ave?
    • By marlon smith
      1990 kawasaki bayou 300c idles fine but pops out exhaust and intake when trying to excel, will not take throttle past 1/4 , any one had this problem?
      have replaced carb twice, same thing, fresh built engine cylinder head, same as before, new spark plug, flywheel key is good, pulser test good, good spark
    • By Tuzz
      Bucking started about a month ago and works ok after 1/2 hour warmup.  Today while working on it i discovered that if i put the ignition switch in LIGHT position it runs fine right from the start.
      I'm stumped!  Any idea why this could be?  

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off!