Quantcast

New to quads in desperate need of help please ltz 400 starting nightmare

Marcus

Hi guys new to this had a few mx bikes in the past and always fancied a quad so bought myself a 2004 ltz 400 bored out to a 450 only bought it last week and 1st time on it yesterday 

so everything was running smooth was just getting used to driving it on the road was out for maybe an hour not thrashing it just taking my time then all of a sudden started sort of bogging lost all power and cut out I don’t have a clue what it is tried starting it but nothing the starters going and every couple of seconds get like all I can describe is like a compression stroke  the petcock was set on prime and I didn’t notice whilst riding I don’t no weather I may have flooded the engine 

I have took the spark plug out tested it it sparks great no problem 

I took the carb off nothing give it a quick looking over nothing seems to be wrong with that although when I put the choke on and try start fuel comes out of the over flow :S 

the air filter was soaking with petrol 

any help would be great please guys my 1st day on the quad has not been good 

With the fuel  shut off, try  removing the spark  plug  and   spin   it  over  for   a few seconds to  dry out the  cylinder if  it  may  have  been  flooded. Dry out the  air filter.  With the air filter off so  you  can see what's happening , try  turning the  fuel   on and starting the engine.  It's  possible the  float  had stuck allowing the carb to  overfill and flood the  motor  out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marcus said:

Hi guys new to this had a few mx bikes in the past and always fancied a quad so bought myself a 2004 ltz 400 bored out to a 450 only bought it last week and 1st time on it yesterday 

so everything was running smooth was just getting used to driving it on the road was out for maybe an hour not thrashing it just taking my time then all of a sudden started sort of bogging lost all power and cut out I don’t have a clue what it is tried starting it but nothing the starters going and every couple of seconds get like all I can describe is like a compression stroke  the petcock was set on prime and I didn’t notice whilst riding I don’t no weather I may have flooded the engine 

I have took the spark plug out tested it it sparks great no problem 

I took the carb off nothing give it a quick looking over nothing seems to be wrong with that although when I put the choke on and try start fuel comes out of the over flow :S 

the air filter was soaking with petrol 

any help would be great please guys my 1st day on the quad has not been good 

are you saying the starter is not rolling the engine over ? 

Thanks davefrombc I will try that and let you no 

The starter is roping the enngine over ever so slightly just getting slight little juggers and little puff out the exauhst but nothing like it should 

and sorry about posting it multiple times new to this site didn't really no what I was doing :S 

Think I may have found the problem  as I was about to strip it down i noticed the petcock isn't working when the fuels off it's still on. Constantly on  I filled the tank 5 minutes before I broke down I think when I have filled it the pressure of the full tank has caused the petcock to fail as it's been in storage for a while since before I bought the quad the quad was sat for 5'mins then when I have drove it 2 minutes later it cut out I think it had flooded itself im ordering a new one tonight then hopefully problem solved 

just how do I go about clearing the engine now if it's flooded  just try turning it over a few times with no fuel ???

Easiest way to  clear  it  is to  pull the  plug  and spin it over  for a few seconds.  The  petcock failing open  shouldn't make it  flood though.The  float in the carb is  what limits the fuel  flow into    and the level  in the  carb. If the  needle sticks   slightly open  then   the vehicle  will  flood. . You  should be able to  leave the  petcock open  for   days on end without it  flooding.  You  may  have a float  or bad  needle and seat  for the  float,or something as  simple  as a small  piece of crud  stopping the  float needle from  fully closing off the  fuel when the carb is full.

• Like 1

I’ve ordered a new one anyway was hoping that would solve it I will pull the plug and let it spin for a little tomorrow then try again with the plug in 

suppose I’m gonnna have to strip the carb as well not looking forward to that I did it once with a yz125 I had and messed all the jetting up :( 

lets hope it’s just the float sticking   

Thanks for all the help Dave 

About all I  can suggest  is  to  make  sure you're getting  spark,  ( you could try  a  new  spark  plug)  and fuel.  If it's getting  both  it should run. If there's no  spark ,  you'll  have to  start  checking ignition  components .   When  you checked the carb out , did you  turn  the  idle  air  screw  in  and  out ? .  It should  be set about   1 1/2  to 2  turns  out  from  lightly  seated  to  start.. After it  is running  you  can tweak  it   for best performance , not  bogging or stumbling when you go  to  accelerate  from  idle.

Edited by davefrombc

New spark plug still nothing can't get my head around it there's a bare wire hanging out if the wiring loom don't no what from will hve to split the loom to find it but all I can think is maybe it's touched the frame and shorted something I am completely lost if that isn't the case I'm sending it off to a mechanic better empty the money box 😏

Just giving you guys an update not many people on here seem to update on when they have found the problem so I Sent it off to the mechanic he did a compression test and nothing he said straight away it will be your valves or rings  he's started work turns out a valve had  dropped and the piston has bent it so he's on with fitting a new one trying to get it sorted for me tomorrow fingers crossed that's all it is 

what a nightmare !! Can't wait to get back onit