Quantcast

Can-Am 2-up seat conversion to my Honda Rancher

I just bought a 2018 Can Am 570 Outlander and was hoping to try to find a way to convert a Can Am 2-up seat that I picked up on Craigslist  to my new machine in some fashion.  No way to do it without the seat sitting up 8-9 inches above the main seat. Scrapped that Idea but decided to try to convert it to my Honda Rancher.  Also in a way that would allow me to remove it quickly and allow access to my battery compartment if necessary. Here's what I came up with.  

Since the seat has two fork like protrusions on the front underside I needed to come up with something that they would lock into. On rear underside there is a spring loaded handle that allows it to lock onto a 3/8" round bar.  I wanted the bar that the front part of the seat locked into to also be removable so I came up with a design for the bar that would slide onto the front side of the rear rack and pin into place using the rack itself as the mounting base. Then I welded a couple pieces of 3/4" pipe to the rear part of the rear rack with a piece of 3/8" solid bar stock onto the front of the two pieces of pipe that were welded to the rear section of the rack.  The forks of the seat lock into the front bar, the pipes at the back not only support the rear part of the seat but act as a centering guide for the two locking mechanisms that lock onto the 3/8" bar stock. When it is locked into place it is extremely solid and has no way of coming loose except when I release the spring loaded handle. And it actually doesn't look too bad when installed either.imageproxy.php?img=&key=01ee6617cc17ea3c Plus, the front side of the rear seat acts as a back rest for the small of the drivers back, pretty cool.

20180526_221223.jpg

20180526_221230.jpg

20180526_182929.jpg

20180526_221447.jpg

20180526_221428.jpg

20180526_221536.jpg

20180526_182916.jpg

20180526_182911.jpg

20180526_221709.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 2

• Ajmboy changed the title to Can-Am 2-up seat conversion to my Honda Rancher

Thanks,  

Always fun to see a thought come to fruition, wasn't exactly sure how it was going to come out but I couldn't let the 2-up seat pass by and not try to put it to use. I had been looking at them on line and they were between $565.00 to  $585.00 USD. So when I saw this one on Craigslist for $60 I jumped on it. I bought $20 worth of metal and the welding didn't cost me anything but time.  Having a jump seat so to speak made for the Can Am and I'm modifying a backrest from an office chair to mount to the rear rack of the Outlander. When done it will look good and will be easily removable as well.  We don't always ride double on our machines and it is nice to be able to take those things off with the least amount of effort. Will post some pics when it is done as well.  But for now here is some pics of the New Can Am.  I found it on Craigslist as well, it only had 50 miles on it, and still under warranty, The guy got into trouble with his wife for having so many toys, He wanted a new ski boat and she said something had to go so he decided that the brand new 2018 ountlander was the item he would part with. Plus he brought it all the way from Boise Idaho to me, (500miles) saved me 16 hours of drive time. Looking forward to getting out with it, trails open up here on the 16th, hope to have my seat back before th en so I can get my back rest finished up, The upholsterer is doing the back rest as well.  My brother brought over his little Suzuki Ozark, this is how my 570 would probably look parked nose to nose with an Outlander 1000😁

20180416_194723.jpg

20180421_213458.jpg

20180518_093517.jpg

20180518_093524.jpg

20180603_172448.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...