Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Keith Proudman

Honda 2013 420 reverse problem

My 2013 Honda 420 occasionally won't go into reverse. I don't think it is in the transmission as it does not make a click or noise. I think it is in the lockout. Someone told me when I ride near the ocean the salt can get on something. Any ideas?

I don’t think it’s the ocean. How does that bike go into reverse ? Is the reverse procedure done by squeezing the left brake handle while pressing the R button and shifter down ?

It’s most likely in the contact device that allows it to engage. Maybe a bad switch ?  

What model bike ? 

Yes and then bush the down shift button. It is a semi automatic. Sometimes it works great and other times there is nothing no noise of a solenoid trying to work.

You may have to get access to the two wires on that shift button and put a tester on it to see if it works.   Or replace it if in doubt.   

If it’s an intermittent problem it’s prob something relatively minor.  I would start to go through the system from top to bottom starting at that shift button down. Could be broken or damaged or loose plugs on the wiring.  

Make sure all fluids are up to operating level so that no safety switches are locking it out from time to time. 

And look for any damage that might have happened like something hitting a wire or cable? 

Is this a rancher ? What kind of bike ? 

It could also be a solenoid. All kinds of solenoids go bad all the time. I would be suspect of corrosion first if it goes anywhere near salt H2O that effects a lot more that you think and it will dissolve connections faster than you can shake a stick at it!!  Has it ever been wet w/ salt H2O? If it has did you wash it down ASAP? It that's not your issue, you can fix it relatively easy with a multimeter. Get a wiring diagram and then find the connector for your suspected switches, hook up the meter between the 2 pins for the switch you want to check, press the button. If your meter reads 0hms when you press the button its good, anything else and 'd start with that. Start the bike and leave it running (you can only shift into reverse if its running) if you can access the reverse solenoid connector disconnect it and connect your multimeter to the leads(have the meter in 0-24vdc mode) activate reverse, you should have 12-14vdc at the connector. If you do, your solenoid is bad. If not work your way backwards through the wiring diagram till you find the problem.

• Like 1

At the bottom of the engine in the rear where the Reverse cable goes down to  there is a lever attached to that cable. Put it reverse and see if that cable is moving the lever far enough. If not you can adjust it from the top left section of the cable with the threaded part of the cable.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken that unit the reverse cable can be adjusted. if you pull back the rubber on the perch there should be an adjustment on the cable. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mike Iadonixi
      Hi my son's 2005 Honda recon engine is seized any ideas on what or where to get another engine 
      Thanks to you guys i fixed my other son's four wheeler last month
      any help would be greatly appreciated
      Thanks
      Mike
    • By Wayne Starz
      I have a 2005 Suzuki Vinson 500cc automatic 4X4. I can only shift it in to park & High gear, it will not go in low or reverse, what's the issue & the fix?
    • By Ajmboy
      I saw this article on Motosport and thought it was pretty good. Anyone add anything?
        You might think hopping on-board an ATV and going for a spin is just as easy as taking your regular 4-wheel car for a ride around the block. After all, both have four wheels. How hard could it be?
      In many respects, you're right. Some adventure riders choose quads over their two-wheeled counterparts of the dirt because there's less chance of crashing and it's easier to learn. ATVs also offer more manageability for younger riders to get acquainted with outdoor riding than a dirt bike.
      However, beginner riders on ATVs tend to make the same mistakes that result in crashes, roll overs and injury that could be avoided with some instruction and know-how. If you're looking at a fun family outing by renting ATVs or want to get into the sport take advantage of the following points and avoid the same mistakes so many other first time ATV riders make that end their day early or before they barely get started.
      1. Nerf Bars
      Get Nerf bars. These are not soft cushy add-ons that are cousins to the football you use during backyard football games. In many respects, Nerf bars are gigantic foot pegs. Don't bother with traditional foot pegs because you'll constantly slip off and because of the "I feel safe factor" that comes with riding a quad you'll also have a tendency to let your feet drag when riding. That's a recipe for getting one or both of your feet caught in the back tire resulting in serious injury. Nerf bars allow you to stabilize your feet and get maximum control over the ATV

Rest your feet easy on Nerf bars
      2. Rolling Over
      Believe it or not, it's fairly easy to roll an ATV over. And you don't want to be on the bottom of that sandwich.
      The most common way of ending underneath a quad is looping out. That's done by hitting the gas and having little to no experience with the power of an ATV. The front spikes up like an out of control stallion, throws you onto your back like a bucking bronco and then pins you like a UFC Champ.
      The second way is when you're having a bit too much fun sliding around in mud or other slick conditions, the tires finally do what they're designed to do and grip the ground but the rest of the bike, with you on it, keeps going.
      Finally, those who think they've found their bearings take aim for a steep slope and try to conquer it only to end up upside down or in their attempt to arch alongside said steep hill, tumble over the side.
      3. False Sense of Security
      This goes somewhat hand-in-hand with the roll over capability that many riders fail to appreciate therefore they also neglect wearing proper protective equipment. Don't think wearing jeans, t-shirt and sneakers is adequate protection when riding a 4-wheeled machine powered by a gas engine that doesn't have seatbelts. You need a helmet, goggles, gloves and riding boots at a minimum. Once you start ripping it on the track or trails add a chest protector, neck brace, knee brace, etc.
      4. Throttle Control
      Everybody wants to skip the kiddie stage and get right into hair-raising speed when it comes to riding ATVs. OK, most everybody. But for those who do so many put on the cloak of invincibility and think a quad is merely a mini car that finally enables them to release all sorts of pent up childhood inhibitions.
      So they jab their thumb into the throttle with the expectation of a controlled roller coaster ride. Instead, they loop out and end up underneath the quad or manage to stay seated only to careen off course and introduce their 4x4 to a large tree. ATVs normally have a thumb throttle and most have an automatic clutch so the clutch is one less thing to worry about. So go slow and figure out how much "thumb" is too much and get used to the speed and power an ATV delivers before really going for a ride. Oh, one more thing, learn to take your thumb off the throttle!

It's not to hard to loop out on an ATV
      5. Loading the ATV
      Never, ever ride an ATV up a ramp into the back of a pick-up. If you want to know why just go to YouTube. If you want to know how to load an ATV check out this fine piece of quality information on How to Load a Motorcycle, Dirt Bike or ATV into a Truck.
      The bottom line to riding an ATV the first time is treat it like you would anything that comes with a modicum of danger. Careless behavior endangers you and others but with common sense and a willingness to learn you'll enjoy of lifetime of riding quads.
      For additional information on riding and/or maintaining ATVs see:
      10 Quick Safety Tips for ATV Trail Riding Tips for New ATV Owners Choosing the Best ATV for Beginners 10 Things That Alter Your ATV Performance Written By: AndrewT

• By DrtyGrlKristin
      I'm curious what all the ladies ride on this site and why!
      I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino 700. Just added a new roll cage, dual exhaust and some other things. Here are a few pics:

I chose the Rhino because my arms and wrists get way too tired on a quad. I haven't tried a bike, but, I don't think my coordination would be good enough to handle that!
      I LOVE my Rhino though!!!!!!! It's the perfect machine for me.
      So, how about you????
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      Recently, Jonathan has been repairing & reassembling a client's 1983 Big Red Honda ATC200E. In this video, he gives an overview of how he approached diagnosing the ATC and creating a plan for the project.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Wali
      I was riding my 400ex one day and when i shut it off to put it in the garage i tried to start it put again to drive it into the garge and it wouldnt start.I put a compression tester on it and its like 30 psi with out throttle and 0 psi WITH THROTTLE.
      when i put my finger over the hole it fell likes its pulling my finger in more then its pushing it out 

Has good spark.When i took it into the shop the said it had 1oz of oil in it and a tiny pit of metal shaving(TINY BIT LIKE 30 flakes)
      When i try to pull start (push start/roll start) it made a not normal sound  and wouldnt stay running.
      If my bottom end is blow why would it still turn over fine,
      Are my valves siezed or not working properly 
      or is my timing off causeing valves to not open in correct order with fire 
      PLEASE HELP all help is appreciated 
    • By Trenton
      Hello. I am a new member as of today. I had a quick question to ask. I recently was driving mt HONDA RANCHER 2004 GPSscape 400 and my display stopped working. I was driving the atv and all of a sudden the speedometer and the service lights went out. Also the lights stopped working. I am still able to shift gears, change from 2wd to 4wd, and can still select if I want EPS or Auto. I have checked my fuse box and have changed a few of them around. It did not change anything. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what had happend. Thank you for your time- Trenton 
    • By Ineedabrew
      Hello all,
      I have brought an 84 TRX 200 back to life and unfortunately whomever dug into it first removed the two trim pieces that go around the gas tank.  I was thinking someone on the site may have an old parts bike with these pieces lying around.....  If so, drop me a message and we can make a deal.  I just want to complete the bike!
      Thanks,
      Jason

• By Connor Tuftin
      I have a 1988 300 Honda FourTrax, All wheel drive.
      My brother and I were fixing up this quad. We put a brand new battery and fuses in and it was running fine until we put the quad into reverse. As soon as it was put into reverse all of the electrical cut out and power wasn't making it to the head unit anymore and both of the brand new fuses popped. We figured there might have been a short from the starter or solenoids, but they are all working properly. At this point we don't know where to start looking for where the short could be. I'm just wondering if anybody has had the same issue or knows of similar issues that could cause these electrical shorts?
    • By ezduzit
      New to me xpress i believe shuts down when put into reverse, but if i hold the override button it will remain running. 
      This is not normal operation based on my scramblers i've owned before. She also grinds when i attempt to select high gear and wont engage. lastly she runs great in low gear . I dont know how to fix this or where to begin my troubleshooting. 1994 polaris 300 2x4 thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions