Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

220Bayou

My First ATV 2002 Kawasaki Bayou 220

Hi everyone,  I'm about to get my first ATV, 02 bayou 220.

Neighbor said I could have it if I fix it, Carburetor problems, and needs a new ignition switch. last ran 2 years ago, said he changed the oil in it twice a year and never ride it hard.

Hope I got me a good ride.

• Like 1

Hey @Muleman good luck with the bike.  Should be fun working on it and getting it running.  I’m currently working on the same bike so any questions you have I may be able to help you with as well as the rest of the member base her at Quadcrazy.  

Good luck and feel free to post some pics. 

• Like 1

One question, I know the 220 supposedly has 5 gears, is it auto shift or manual? Or does it depend on the year model.

Every bike is obviously difrent.  If yiur bike is the same as mine which it should be then you should see a gear shifter on the left lower side ? 

If so it’s all the way down to neutral and up for first, second and so on.  Then reverse is when it’s in neutral there is a round knob on the left front plastic under the handle bars.  You turn that and hold it while pressing gear shifter down and it will go into reverse.  

• Like 2

Exactly what @Frank Angerano  said, and should be what we used to call semi-automatic. You have to shift but with no clutch. Bayou 220 is a great atv, it was my first utility quad after I moved away from an older sport 87 yamaha warrior. Here's a much older picture of me and my bayou back in 2002 or 2003..

Good luck with it, make sure you download the manual here:

* Topic moved to Kawasaki ATV forum and re titled post to include ATV info.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ajmboy said:

Exactly what @Frank Angerano  said, and should be what we used to call semi-automatic. You have to shift but with no clutch. Bayou 220 is a great atv, it was my first utility quad after I moved away from an older sport 87 yamaha warrior. Here's a much older picture of me and my bayou back in 2002 or 2003..

* Topic moved to Kawasaki ATV forum and re titled post to include ATV info.

Soooo, you were young once :P  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Got the new ignition switch for it today from RM atv,

gonna go pick it up tomorrow, our schedules didn't match up today.

Edited by Muleman

Ugh I know the feeling.  Im waiting on a part for my bayou now that’s not going to be here until Friday which kills me bc I have the weekend full of other stuff to do!  FML!

One thing I like about Rocky mountain ATV, you can choose your shipping speed, compared to Babbitts or Partzilla.

but there's always amazon, 

Posted (edited)

Yep, I shy away from buying any internal engine parts or stuff like that from ebay, i don't know  why but i do.

Edited by Muleman
  • Like 1

Well, the plan was to pick up the Bayou today, we both had time to meet,

I wake up this morning, swallowing over a big lump in my throat and and I can't breath or talk. I feel somewhat better now but we didn't meet up.😩

Everyone I know is all banged up with a cold or some shit.  Hope ya feel better. I found a few bikes this week that I’m going to look at. Ones a bayou 300.  Sitting for a while.  Guy wants $750, not happening. The other is a worier 350 not running but a ton of extras and wants $500 to get it gone. He said it’s his sons and been sitting for a few years in a garage.  Going to try and grab both for $1000.  Busy weekend ahead trying to wrap up the one bayou and pick up two more! The wife is going to flip!!!!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

F7900EBF-F7B0-4D50-A032-C612894506F8.jpeg

27DBC9B9-5B0B-4232-888D-872C62C208C8.jpeg

• Like 1

I think I would rather have a mad wife and 2 bayous  than a mad wife and no bayous.

Hahaha I’m willing to sacrifice that. She’s easily swayed with a new pocketbook! 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Everyone I know is all banged up with a cold or some shit.  Hope ya feel better. I found a few bikes this week that I’m going to look at. Ones a bayou 300.  Sitting for a while.  Guy wants $750, not happening. The other is a worier 350 not running but a ton of extras and wants $500 to get it gone. He said it’s his sons and been sitting for a few years in a garage.  Going to try and grab both for $1000.  Busy weekend ahead trying to wrap up the one bayou and pick up two more! The wife is going to flip!!!!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

F7900EBF-F7B0-4D50-A032-C612894506F8.jpeg

man I hope you get the bayou.. and then put it on a train for $50 to me and I'll cover your time replacing the plug and test driving for me :D for what I paid with my mickey mouse'd (damn near duct taped) '93 300... my wife would at least understand the economic thought process!

how are you finding these, craigslist seems limited and others I spend more time figuring out how to search local areas and then the bikes and usually end up with makeup ads.

Edited by pokerl0w
too much cervesa, read this wrong

@pokerl0w Too much Cervesa lol it’s all good.  I read the email alert and seen your original post 🥴

I actually missed out on that bike.  I was going last Saturday to look at it both of the bikes and by the time Saturday came around it was gone.   The guy let it go for $600 bucks.  I should have moved faster on it and I usually do! Shame on me. But if it was a 4x4 I would have gotten in my truck the second I found It.  I once found a Honda fourtrax at 9 pm, the guy just posted it that night.  I called him and said how much so he said make an offer.  So I said $100 as a joke and he responds and says can I do $125 😳 I said yes but I need to pick it up right now.  He said fine! Hence I found a 2001 Honda fourtrax 4x4 for $125. (Not running)   I spend a considerable amount of time and have learned where and how to look for bikes as well as having alerts sent to my phone whenever certain posts go up. I put a lot of time in.   Some posts are fake and scams and most are real.  I’ve learned to spot the fakes straight away.  

But one other thing.  I also know the value of a bike as a part out.  That bayou would have made me my money back just in plastics and metal racks.   I am looking everywhere every day and always come across these bikes.  That’s how I do it ! 

lol @ email eagle eyes

well then my beer was correct, you didn't get it heh

we need some alert system for new bike postings. I can't spend my better time searching when I'm trying to figure out part names still ffs. it's just all metal n oil. parts is parts. but time kills me. I realize my garage is not setup for these projects. takes me about an hour just to get setup to start breaking something apart.

as with my first 300 .. be nice if I had the smarts to do this on a cheaper bike. what I have learned on this bike I could have done with on a cheaper and then I bet I'd have picked this 300 apart quick and either passed or saved myself $400+ (talked him down)... now,  I figure I'll enjoy this enough to make enough back in fun learning and ending up with better bikes/deals in the future.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:51 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Every bike is obviously difrent.  If yiur bike is the same as mine which it should be then you should see a gear shifter on the left lower side ? 

If so it’s all the way down to neutral and up for first, second and so on.  Then reverse is when it’s in neutral there is a round knob on the left front plastic under the handle bars.  You turn that and hold it while pressing gear shifter down and it will go into reverse.  

Thanks for this info!

• Like 1