Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2003 yamaha kodiak 400 2x4 blows 30 amo fuse when key turned on

STEP MONSTER

There is obviously a dead short.  Was anything new wired into the bike ? Or maybe an old plow wire that was left there ? Accessories that were incorrectly installed or left on the bike that’s causing it ? 

I would start unplugging the plugs on the starter relay and any other plugs you have. Put a new fuse in and look for when the fuse pops as you re connect each plug.  Start there and see if you can trace it back.  

Also look for anything that stands out like a bundle of tape on the harness that may have been touched or any damage that may have been caused by maybe someone that put a ratchet strap on the fram over a part of the wiring harness and crushed it.  

Process of elimination. 

Get a few extra fuses!!!!

• Like 1

• Ajmboy changed the title to 2003 yamaha kodiak 400 2x4 blows 30 amo fuse when key turned on
15 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

There is obviously a dead short.  Was anything new wired into the bike ? Or maybe an old plow wire that was left there ? Accessories that were incorrectly installed or left on the bike that’s causing it ? 

I would start unplugging the plugs on the starter relay and any other plugs you have. Put a new fuse in and look for when the fuse pops as you re connect each plug.  Start there and see if you can trace it back.  

Also look for anything that stands out like a bundle of tape on the harness that may have been touched or any damage that may have been caused by maybe someone that put a ratchet strap on the fram over a part of the wiring harness and crushed it.  

Process of elimination. 

Get a few extra fuses!!!!

@Frank Angerano makes a good point, check over your wiring get some extra fuses! Something is shorting out.

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By p5200
      Hello folks, I have a Polaris 500 Scrambler. Not positive I need a new battery.  The folks I got the ride from said they put a new battery on it right before selling it to me. It's been a couple cold months before I tried starting it. After jumping it now, I let it idle plus revved it quite a bit for about 20 minutes. Then I shut it off and tried to restart barely turns over and that's it? Am I not giving it enough charge time maybe need to actually ride it? The battery on it is a Continental CTX9-BX. I lf a new battery is needed would maybe Amazon have a decent one? Thanks!
    • By GTX-Racer
      I am looking for a front battery cover for a Suzuki Quadrunner 250 (year unknown).  It has the headlight on the handle bars and no speedometer.
    • By StayTheTrail
      Hey everyone!
      Ya'll have been so great and welcoming to our new Ambassador program, we wanted to be sure that Quad Crazy was getting info directly from us about the Stay The Trail educational program too.
      The program was started in 2003 with the purpose of educating the public about responsible trail use and fostering a sense of stewardship among OHV enthusiasts.
      The "Where To Go" section of our website is another great resource for anyone looking for trail info. We host all of the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) and overlay them on the Google mapping system. We want this site to be the place you go to for trail maps as you plan a run. The MVUM maps show what trails are open for what types of vehicles. If a trail is not on these maps, it is not an open trail.
      We attend events and set up at trailheads throughout the season to ensure that folks are getting the info and education they need to be responsible on public trails. We have posters and brochures that quickly review these guidelines (all of the Etiquette info can also be found on the website).

Very soon, we will have a HUGE announcement about mobile mapping options!
      Sam and Matt are going to be around on the forum, keeping everyone updated on what is new with the program and answering questions. Feel free to ask us any questions!
      Oh – and don’t forget to follow us on FACEBOOK!
    • By Gwbarm
      I have a 1987 TRX 250,  it has been  very reliable except for this starting issue. I have replaced the starter and gears numerous times and still having problems. I think the last time was maybe 2 years ago and this Quad is used very little. Starter works fine, when you go to start it it goes clunk, clunk, clunk, blah and usually starts. If it doesnt start after blah, it not going too. Like i said earlier, last time i replaced the starter and gears and virtually no change except it would start everytime, but it always sounds like something broke right before it starts. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem with the 250. One other note, the kickstarter does not work, and never has as long as i have owned it, could that have anything to do with it.
    • By alexwv1863
      I recently had to replace the starter on my Kodiak. It cranks super easy now but it's make this high pitched squealing sound. It sounds like bearings that's not greased or something. I didn't take the starter apart to look it over before installing it. So it could need greased. Should I take it back off and do that, or could it be something else I should look at? It didn't make this noise with the old starter. 
  • Similar Tagged Forum Content