Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

STEP MONSTER

2003 yamaha kodiak 400 2x4 blows 30 amo fuse when key turned on

There is obviously a dead short.  Was anything new wired into the bike ? Or maybe an old plow wire that was left there ? Accessories that were incorrectly installed or left on the bike that’s causing it ? 

I would start unplugging the plugs on the starter relay and any other plugs you have. Put a new fuse in and look for when the fuse pops as you re connect each plug.  Start there and see if you can trace it back.  

Also look for anything that stands out like a bundle of tape on the harness that may have been touched or any damage that may have been caused by maybe someone that put a ratchet strap on the fram over a part of the wiring harness and crushed it.  

Process of elimination. 

Get a few extra fuses!!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

There is obviously a dead short.  Was anything new wired into the bike ? Or maybe an old plow wire that was left there ? Accessories that were incorrectly installed or left on the bike that’s causing it ? 

I would start unplugging the plugs on the starter relay and any other plugs you have. Put a new fuse in and look for when the fuse pops as you re connect each plug.  Start there and see if you can trace it back.  

Also look for anything that stands out like a bundle of tape on the harness that may have been touched or any damage that may have been caused by maybe someone that put a ratchet strap on the fram over a part of the wiring harness and crushed it.  

Process of elimination. 

Get a few extra fuses!!!!

@Frank Angerano makes a good point, check over your wiring get some extra fuses! Something is shorting out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Monika Novakov
      1988 Kawasaki 220 Bayou trying to remove generator/ starter 1way clutch cover to be able to replace 1way clutch. All bolts are removed case cover is dripping what oil that remains...but I can't get the cover to come off..what am I missing? Thx in advance.
    • By Ed Zeppeli
      So I fired up the quad the other day and let it idle for about 5-10 minutes and it ran great then died.

I go to check it. No lights on dash, nothing.

Check the main fuse and it's blown. Key's off/out. Put in another and it blows immediately.
      Pull out the meter and see that on the non-load side of the fuse holder there's continuity to ground.
      Check all obvious things. Wiring diagram. Connectors. Frayed wires. Bad grounds.
      Battery measures ok at 12.8v.
      I'm dreading taking off the front plastics but I suspect the regulator/rectifier. The wiring diagram shows the red wire (the suspect wire) goes to the ignition switch and the regulator/rectifier.
      Anyone else experience something similar and/or have any troubleshooting tips that may save me the grief of removing the plastics?

Thanks much,

Warren
    • By stinky
      I have an Outlaw 110 that will struggle to turn the engine over. Jump starting doesn't help other than the battery will drain LONG before the bike eventually starts, so is required. If you keep messing with it long enough it will eventually magically begin to crank fine and sometimes finally start. Once we finally get the bike to start and warm it up thoroughly, it will turn over and start just fine the rest of the day like nothing ever happened... next day it won't turn over again.  Internet research has found lots of people saying they replaced starters, starter clutch, wiring, etc. but with only about 50/50 success rate for their particular problems... and I never found anybody describing a problem like mine, so I'm looking for advice/experience. Would rather not just start blindly throwing parts at it. Does anybody have any thoughts/ideas?
    • By Richard Barlup
      I have a honda trx200 and it starts fine when I use the starter button but won't start with the pull cord.     

• By gouletp
      Hi. When I press the starter switch, the solenoid clicks and the starter doesn't turn. The battery is good (about 12.6 volts).  I tried shorting the two big bolts on the solenoid with a screwdriver.  I got sparks and the starter didn't turn.  I tried running a booster cable directly to the starter post but all I get is a bunch of sparks.  I connected the positive side of the battery to the post or bolt on the starter.  I connected the negative side of the battery to the frame,  Did I connect everything wrong?  I don't know why I get the sparks.
      Thank you
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Dimelol
      I have a 2003 Kodiak 450 that i purchased a while back with around 300 hours on it. It has never ran right from the beginning. Initially i thought it was just a carburetor issue because it was all clogged up from sitting for months. It has been cleaned, rebuilt, and taken off probably about 10 times troubleshooting this problem. I have quadruple checked everything including float height ect and it is set correctly, the jets are also brand new, needle and seat have been pressure tested as well. So after all of that I am convinced that the carburetor is not the culprit. I have an issue where the idle is very choppy, almost as if it is misfiring with a rich condition on top of that. I can use a brand new plug and run the machine for just a few minutes and it will be a dry and and coated in black carbon build up. The exhaust also has a strong smell at idle. I had trouble restarting it when hot for a while, but i adjusted the valves and it seemed to solve that issue. They were both way out of tolerance (tight). The weird thing is, outside of idle it seems to run pretty well. 
      So with all that being said I have ruled out the carb/valves/compression and moved on to the ignition and this is where i have a few questions about factory specifications. I guess the main question I have is, how strict are these tolerances? And could them being off by this amount cause the issue I am having? Do all three of these parts really need to be replaced? I would like to know before I spend the money on these new parts, and it not fix my problem. Below I will list what the specs were in the service manual along with the reading i got.  This is my first experience testing ignition components. I just found it odd that all 3 are out of spec according to the service manual.
      Spark plug cap resistance: 10 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: 8.90 kΩ
      Primary coil resistance: 0.18 ~ 0.28 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: Fluctuated between 0.4 - 0.5 Ω
      Secondary coil resistance: 6.32 ~ 9.48 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within the specified range.
      Pickup coil resistance: 459 ~ 561 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within specified range.
      Rotor rotation direction sensing coil resistance: 0.085 ~ 0.105 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F) 
      My reading was 0.3 Ω
    • By Admin
      1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
    • By Admin
      View File 1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
      1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 06/29/2019 Category Yamaha ATV  
    • By Admin
      View File 2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 450 Owners Manual
      2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 450 Owners Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 06/29/2019 Category Yamaha ATV  
    • By Admin