Quantcast

Winch question

Airborne

Hey guys , i think i made mistake when purchased my machine when i thought id be fine with a manual lift moose plow set up .

plow is great , takes a beating , very satisfied however the manual lift for it just kicks my as* after 4 hours or so. Lol 

so im looking at changing over to a winch , no biggie im definitely going to do it , 

where my question is , when looking at winches i came to the divide in the trail ...nylon rope ,or old style cable ?  I will be,only using this for plowing that is all , i use choke cables and tug straps for other work ...... somwhat do you think guys , its not a price issue , im looking for longterm dependability.... i questioned the rope getting wet while plowing , maybe no biggie not sure. ..

thanks guys.  Airborne 

That’s a great question.  I just received the mounting plate for my bike. I’m going to throw it on this weekend along with the winch..  I personally think the metal is better for just that reason alone of getting wet.  I  think you have more options if and or something  happens to the cable. You can always cut it and add a Crosby clip  and boom you are good to go. Don’t think you can do that with the nylon.  

On my winch i had cable and it broke 4 times in one winter of plowing. I Switched it out for synthetic rope and it has not broken in 2 years of heavy use. I personally like the rope better because when it brakes it will just fall to the ground. With the steel cable it will snap and fly back at the operator. 

Colin

I have teen agers and shovels. Hasn't let me down yet. Lol
But on a serious note, I use synthetic rope as well. Just for the spring back if it breaks with steel cable. Had that happen to my hand on a tow truck. Not pretty. Still going strong for 5 years.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for great input guys

1 minute ago, 06kfx440 said:

I have teen agers and shovels. Hasn't let me down yet. Lol
But on a serious note, I use synthetic rope as well. Just for the spring back if it breaks with steel cable. Had that happen to my hand on a tow truck. Not pretty. Still going strong for 5 years.

Lol , yes i have an 18 yr old but no way hes going to shovel ove a mile into the woods lol , he does clean the decks though lol , im thinking the synthetic is a good bet , if just for the safty 

What I did was take the 1/4 cable and replaced it with a high tinsel rope. I didn't find it at harbor freight but I used a climbers robe because even if a pulley bearing seizes it will still go up and down and be okay. If I remember. I went to atomicclimbingholds.com

• Like 1

I agree. I can pull big wires thru conduit with synthetic rope. The only downfall that I've seen is when you coil it up, It takes form of the wind. When you uncoil and in the relaxed position it winds back to that form.

That's why I use climbers rope. It won't bind up