Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

JacobSlabach

Bayou 220 running issue

got that 220 I'm 'servicing'..........  well it turned into a guts and oil job....  I cleaned the carb and it wont idle cold, but idles too fast when warm.  also misfires and burns rich cold (white smoke out of the exhaust)  I'm going to order a new carb since the old one is leaking and beat up (some one was tinkering)  I'm wondering about the valve clearance and timing...?  Maybe a factor?   What should the clearance be on the valves?  How should I check the timing on this bike?  (this is a mid 90s bayou 220 2x4)

Is the carb that beat up that it’s byond repair? A valve adjustment would prob help for other reasons but not this problem.   The timing is pretty straight forward as your 300 is. Cam sprocket and T mark on the flywheel.   Double check that the choke is not stuck.   And also check for good spark and a fresh plug. 

Also my 220 ran best on a 1-1/2 turns out on the air fuel mixture screw.  

heh forgot to conclude this thread too.  The carb was beat up so I couldn't do much with it- the bowl was warped or something and had all kinds of crap that the carb cleaner wouldnt touch inside..  ordered a new one for $30- adjusted (remember aftermarket carbs usually like leaner settings than eom.  runs great now.

The new rebuild kit comes  with a float.  Some good air pressure will clean anything out along with a set of brushes you can get on amazon.  I hear ya on the new cheap carb but they are just too much trouble with the adjusting.   

Carburetors Carbon Dirt Jet Remove Cleaner, 13 Cleaning Wires Set + 10 Cleaning Needles + 5 Nylon Brushes Tool Kit for Welder Carb Chainsaw Spray Guns Torch Tips Firing Hole Stove Burner Holes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8LZ2PG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_86.JCb8G8A1C4

• Thanks 1

thanks.  I had already replaced it and got the bike back to the guy- he says it runs perfectly now.

just wondering tho:  How much would you charge for a tune up and what do you include with your tune up?  I charged this guy $120 and changed the oil, sp, carb, checked timing and valve clearance, cleaned up the guts of his bike good, and realigned his front end.  Is that fair or too much or too little?  What would you charge and what would you include in a tune up?

haha yea same here.. havnt had any people asking me to fix their stuff for a while but i enjoy it when they do.  just love working on stuff

9 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Another blast from the past! 
I too love working on things but love it more when you get paid!! 

yea haha money dont grow on trees.  the guy did pay me for parts and labor on this and the big bear he brought me to rebuild for him.  those were his only atvs and havnt heard from him since so i guess that good?  lol