Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Gramps

2000 yamaha kodiak 400 2 wd start key turns blow 10 amp fuze

Hey folks, thanks for the add.  I purchased a 2000 kodiak a few days ago.  The seller claimed an electrical problem which he didnt care to investigate.  I thought it was going to be easy...and initially i found a blown 10 amp ignition fuse, and a blown headlight fuse... changed them and tried to start, but when I turned the key to run, the N light came on for an instant and the fuse popped...I unplugged all other connections to the wiring harness I could find, kept the ignition harness hooked up and tried again...the fuse blew again...I then disconnected the outgoing harness from the CDI and this time the with the switch turned the neutral light comes on and I can enable the start switch and hit the starter button and the motor turns but does not actually start, i can also turn on the headlights and taillight in this configuration, however, when i hook up the out going side of the CDI, and turn the key, the fuse blows....HELP?  any ideas to get her running?  I have not removed the gas tank to look under it for frayed wires, but so far, no frayed wired.  With the input side of the CDI plugged in, and all other wiring harnessed connected the starter will turn, but engine wont turn over.  As soon as I plug in the outgoing (8 plug) harness into the CDI and turn the key, the fuse blows.   Thanks!  Gramps 

Welcome to Quadcrazy! I would think your going to have to trace each of the 8 wires on the outgoing side to its destination and inspect for damage. If no luck finding damage or a shorted wire then try to disconnect each of the wires one at a time and see if the fuse holds.  Process of elimination here I think.  Get some extra fuses! 

• Like 1

I have a 2000 big bear 400. My problem is Exactly like yours. Previous owner was riding it and it quit in mid ride. He replaced the main fuse in the fuse block and it kept blowing. I traced the wires from the switch after reading the the schematic many times. I got frame power,as you did but after replacing one fuse, smoke came from the CDI. All frame electrical circuits work fine. I’m hoping a new CDI will cure the problem, but considering the cost, I’m afraid the problem might be elsewhere causing the CDI to go bad. I was hoping I could learn on the forum how often the CDI units fail. Any help will be appreciated!  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Shawn Hendershot
      Got myself another project. Got it running only to find it has a transmission problem. now I am trying to rebuild it but problem is the bolt that holds on the pull start recoil gear. Any ideas if this is left threaded or right threaded. Left loosy or righty tighty. 
      Thanks.
      Hender
    • By Gunny
      Yup, another tracking video ... ... I know most of you are looking forward to mud, however, I Love Snow. What can I say ...    So, here's a video from a couple weeks ago & I still have two more video's to post since right after that, my season ended ...    I hope you enjoy the video ...          ...
    • By Sonders
      Hey guys.  New guy here with my first Yamaha quad.  Traded for an 01' Kodiak 400 that needs some tlc.  It was running but idle is off, missing some hardware here and there, none of the lights work on instrument panel and front brakes didn't work were the main things that jumped out at me.  I drug it home and have started tearing into it.  Started with fresh oil change and flushed the dirty brown coolant and replaced with fresh coolant.  The carburetor is missing the side cover for the throttle cable and I don't see where I can buy just that cover without buying a complete carb, so went ahead and ordered a new one (hasn't arrived yet).  the Starter relay solenoid was crap and had to mess with it to get it to start half the time so replaced it.  I have a few questions as I'm going through this quad that I'll list below.

1. It has a cut plug on wiring harness under the instrument panel.  Can anyone tell me what this plug goes to?  There currently is not a plug running to the 4wd indicator light on instrument cluster so I'm wondering if 2 of the wires are for that possibly??

2.  Also in the front, there is a air duct under the rack and black plastic panel that runs down to the engine case.  Is there supposed to be some sort of cover or anything over it?  I looked online at parts diagrams and couldn't even find this duct or the duct that runs up by taillight in any of the diagrams.

3. this fuel line on top left side of carburetor; is this what goes to the gas tank cap or is it just a vent line for carb?  Follow up question, where does the line that comes off of the gas tank cap go to?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I work through this thing.  Thanks in advance for any replies.

• By bradleyheathhays
      So I put a headlight wiring kit from LMC Truck on my '96 Cherokee that circumvents the normal wiring and runs the headlights directly off the battery by way of a relay.  The kit runs the lights at 55/100 (low, hi) watts instead of the original 55/60.  One reason I did this was because the light output was terrible, and the other was because for some unknown reason the headlights would shut off after being on hi for a bit.  Never did this on low.  I've had the new wiring kit on for a few years now and it seems to have solved the issue.
      The problem I'm having now though is that this new harness is melting at one of the connections...

You can see only one of the wires is overheating while the other seems to be ok.  I'm guessing the hot one is used by the high beams.
      What could be causing this?  Could it be related to why the high beams used to shut off before I replaced the wiring harness?  A while back I asked about the shutting off issue on a number of Jeep boards but nobody had heard of this particular problem before.
    • By Thomas Giles
      I have a 2017 Sportsman 570 SP with a power steering issue. Dealer tells me my machine is one that is not covered by recall and offers no help other than bring it in they will look at it. Any ideas?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Don Colburn
      i bought a set of rims and tires off a 450 kodiak IRS its a 2013 factory rims and front rims are striking the calipers on my 2017 kodiak 450 anyone have any insight ,i thought they would just bolt on
    • By chuckufarlie
      I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS that just this past Sunday I ran through a bit of water.
      After the puddle the belt was slipping, so I pulled over and drained the ultramatic housing and the slipping problem went away. This was all in L and everything seemed to work fine. Later when I got on a road, I put it in H, but it still rode like it was in low... i.e. I had to rev it up a lot just to get to 30mph.
      When at home I pulled the ultramatic cover off to inspect, and it looked okay in there. Not much dirt, belt and everything are clean, but when I rev up the engine (with cage in place, of course), the belt doesn't get to the top of the clutch (maxes out about an inch or 1.5" from top of clutch, so maybe it is normal).. I put it back together but same thing... H seems like L still.
      Do you think the clutch needs to be further dissected for cleaning, or could this be an issue with the gear selector?

• By mothrottle
      My first long ride on my latest bike, an '18 Kodiak 450 EPS I bought slightly used failed. In the North woods I stop on a two track for a blowdown. I Shift into reverse, and instantly the engine dies. Completely dead. The shop tells me that the  40 amp main fuse(there are two, One being the main the other for the EPS) blew. These are the slow blow variety. The shop had to order the fuse,which tells me that blowing that fuse is rare. I hope they can find the cause. Anyone else have this happen?
    • By Aaron Wilson
      My 1996 Yamaha Kodiak 400 has a cracked CV Axle boot and the axle wiggles back and fourth if you pull on it. It also clunks if you go from forward to reverse fast with the tires turned hard one way or the other. Im thinking a new axle will solve the problem. Can you guys walk me through the steps of replacing the CV Axle, I have never done anything like this.
      Thanks
    • By Robert Ochoa
      Don't worry about hauling the ATVs. We have the helmets, goggles, and gloves covered too. Our equipment is well maintained and gassed up ready to go!
      We take the work out of your fun!
      Book your next adventure now!
      www.awesomeatvrentals.com
      https://www.instagram.com/we_are_atvs/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTAk9BABQNion2JJ_TfQXA
      we_are_atvs
      #fourwheeler #atvlife #atvriding #atv #4wheeling #fourwheeling #mudding #outdooradventure #atvs #mudlife #powersports #northcarolina #southcarolina #southcarolinalife #offroading #AwesomeATVRentals #yamaha