Quantcast
Jump to content

  • Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

    As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

stinky

Emergency communication and/or plan

Recommended Posts

Last time I was out with my 8 year old son we got separated just enough that we lost communication (helmet intercoms). I was looking for ideas as a "backup plan" for this situation. I'm considering FRS handheld radios. Any other/better ideas out there? Ideally I would put somebody behind him, but it's normally just him and I so that's not an option.

Edited by stinky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Some handheld radios have over a 2 mile range which is probably far more then what the intercoms have and they are not that expensive.

Mike

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your best bet would  likely be FRS/GMRS radios or  maybe  handheld CB sets. Uninden  makes some 40 channel ones that  are  very reasonably priced and need no license.

Depending on your and your son's interests   you might consider getting your HAM licenses. It's a bit of work to  get your basic licenses but it opens up  a whole new world of communication to  you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some times the problem with hand held radio's are they are kind of "line of sight" accessories, meaning, if you ride in any mountainous terrain with gulleys, valleys, etc, you might not get reception to the other users radio. But if the terrain you ride in is relatively flat or rolling with not to much terrain to "hide" behind, or you can get on a rise or ridge top (and your son understand this as well), then the radio's work great.

A couple more options you might consider, although they aren't cheap either, is the Garmin Rino 700 series GPS/Handheld Radio ... if both you & your son had one of these mounted on your ATV, you would be able to know exactly where he is (and he would know where you are) & you would be able to communicate with him.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/576031

 

Or maybe the Garmin InReach Hiking GPS/Satellite communicator (This is what I have) ... you can't talk on them, but you could text each other, you can text the wife if you're going to be late, & you can send an SOS if needed for help. (Might be a little to much for an 8 yr old thou)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286

 

Or maybe the Garmin InReach Mini ... again, it might be to much for an 8 yr old. But it is an option.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606

 

Anyway, these are some other options for you to ponder.

 

 

...

Edited by Gunny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, davefrombc said:

Your best bet would  likely be FRS/GMRS radios or  maybe  handheld CB sets. Uninden  makes some 40 channel ones that  are  very reasonably priced and need no license.

Depending on your and your son's interests   you might consider getting your HAM licenses. It's a bit of work to  get your basic licenses but it opens up  a whole new world of communication to  you.

I am a licensed HAM... or at least I used to be. I lost interest and let it expire 10 or 20 years ago. I hadn't thought about whether or not my son might have any interest in it. He's in Scouts so it would go along well with that... at least when he gets a little older anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunny said:

Some times the problem with hand held radio's are they are kind of "line of sight" accessories, meaning, if you ride in any mountainous terrain with gulleys, valleys, etc, you might not get reception to the other users radio. But if the terrain you ride in is relatively flat or rolling with not to much terrain to "hide" behind, or you can get on a rise or ridge top (and your son understand this as well), then the radio's work great.

A couple more options you might consider, although they aren't cheap either, is the Garmin Rino 700 series GPS/Handheld Radio ... if both you & your son had one of these mounted on your ATV, you would be able to know exactly where he is (and he would know where you are) & you would be able to communicate with him.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/576031

 

Or maybe the Garmin InReach Hiking GPS/Satellite communicator (This is what I have) ... you can't talk on them, but you could text each other, you can text the wife if you're going to be late, & you can send an SOS if needed for help. (Might be a little to much for an 8 yr old thou)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286

 

Or maybe the Garmin InReach Mini ... again, it might be to much for an 8 yr old. But it is an option.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606

 

Anyway, these are some other options for you to ponder.

 

 

...

These GPS radios are sweet. Probably overkill for us but something I will consider. We just ride in the Oregon sand dunes which is a pretty small area relatively speaking, and far from being remote.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stinky said:

I am a licensed HAM... or at least I used to be. I lost interest and let it expire 10 or 20 years ago. I hadn't thought about whether or not my son might have any interest in it. He's in Scouts so it would go along well with that... at least when he gets a little older anyway.

I am also a licensed HAM that has been inactive  for about 20  years.  Fortunately  for us, our  licenses don't expire. Our certificate  is our  license. I'd sure  hate to  have to  write  our equivalent  of your  Extra  license  and Morse  code again...  LOL..  All   our feds require  is we  notify them when  we change addresses ..  Got back  interested in  HAM when  I  got my  quad and joined a 4 WD  association  here . . Lots of the members have their basic licenses. now it is super easy to  get compared to  20  years ago. I have both  handheld VHF/UHf gear  as well  as HF and multi-band mobile antennas.  I just have to  get my  butt in  gear  and do some transceiver  and antenna  mounting.  I haven't set  up  my  base gear  since I'm  hoping to  make a move soon.  Things  sure have changed  since I was last active. More  modes are available , gear  is far  more compact and capable.   Here  is a link to the CB sets I failed to  post with my first recommendation.  https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO401HH-Professional-Handheld-Cancellation/dp/B00N43KM5S

If  you  get  back into  HAM there are some very  inexpensive  Chinese made  2 meter/ 70Cm band  handhelds  (144mhz / 440mhz) available as well  as some mobile  units.

FRS units are very  low  powered. The GMRS aren't  much more powerful and  are expensive to  license from  what I've been told so unless  you're planning on staying  very  close range even the  handheld CBs should outperform them. 

The  Garmin  GPS radios   work  on the GMRS  frequencies.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a licensed Ham radio operator.

Yes getting a tech license is a little hard but well worth it. I have access to many frequencies and different modes.

I carry a dual mode handheld Motorola radio, I can go digital or I can access local repeaters. One of the nice things is have 5 watts of power to get out. I use the same ear piece and remote mic that the police use. Talk while riding.

I also have a GMRS license $50.00 dollars for 5 years. It opens up options less than having a ham license but no test.

Feel free to contact me with more questions

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Buy a dog collar tracking device and strap it to the bike! 

I believe these collars require a data plan/connection which I think would work just fine where we go, but if I were going to have a "connected" device I might as well just give him a cell phone with tracking set up... which isn't a bad idea at all actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Topics

    • By catman23
      Posted Today, 01:22 PM
      Hey guys, looking for a little help on my 2006 outlander 800, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. 😀
      So I was out plowing the other day and the wheeler started acting up, spitting and sputtering as if it was running on 1 cylinder. It did NOT flash up that it was limp home mode. I brought it in the garage and put the heat on it ( the machine was completely pack with snow )
      Heated it up and she started right up and was running great. Before I brought it out I did a quick check for any lose wires and battery cables.  Long story short,,, as soon as it gets in some deep snow for a little bit it will start acting up again. It usually happens after really getting on it for a couple of minutes and when you stop and idle it will start acting up.
      I decided to let it idle for a little bit when it was acting up, it finally stalled out and I got a message that said no ECM connection. I was able to make this happen several timers.
      Here is a list of things I have done.
      Brand new battery
      Took both battery cables off and inspected them, cleaned and reinstalled
      Check Regulator output  
      Checked stator output
      Checked fuses in the front and the rear
      Checked all cables in the rear of the machine taking them off and cleaning them
      Unplugged every connection I could find on the machine and made sure they had no water or corrosion on them, added dielectric to all of them.
       
      After all of this, it is still acting up, once again, this only happens after it has been running for a little while. I also checked to see if the fan is working by bypassing the relay and it does.
      I do realize that the relay still could be bad and or the temp sensor.
      SO at the end of the day it is almost like there is 2 issues.
      1.       Runs extremely rough and will stall out in deep snow once up to temp. If it does stall out it says no ECM communication
      2.       Fan is not coming on by itself.
       
       
      If there is any other suggestion for me to try, your input would be greatly appreciated. 
       
      Thanks in advancve
    • By Brent Wright
      What was the last year of these quads?
    • By Brent Wright
      What's a good size to start a 10 year old on?
    • By 06kfx440
      I just got a 4 pack of helmet mics with speakers to talk to others while riding. The question is can they link to other devises or does it have to be the same brand. The 4 I have match. But any others like it?
       
       
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By Outkast7222
      Well been lurking for a couple years, figured its time to say hey! Been riding in MN since the early 80's been on just about anything and everything with a motor. If you are from the area hit me up! Currently riding a 2018 Sportsman XP 1000, but thinking of going to a General or possibly a Maverick Trail.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...