Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jason Magnone

1999 Suzuki LT-F160 Carburetor and wiring

As stated above working on a 1999 Suzuki LT-F160. I think I’m having trouble with the carburetor. I keep fouling spark plugs. Full disclosure, I did make a poor attempt to “rebuild” the carb (that’s why I think that’s the issue). No idea if the new parts are at the correct “settings” (gaps and such) I believe the starting point is 1.5 turns from bottom out on the adjustment screw (is there another adjustment I don’t know of?).  Doesn’t feel like I’m getting gas drawn through the carb (clogged jet maybe?), the plug isn’t wet at all (assuming why they’re fouling?) Not a great deal of experience working on carbs and not having much luck on finding a lot of info on the 160’s.

1st- by chance can I swap out the original carb (13200-02C03) for an LT 250 model (think the HA01050). They’re only about $30 apposed to $200. That would at least narrow down if it’s a wiring problem or carb issue.

2nd - The wiring has been minipulated at least a dozen times (before I acquired it, my cousin got it from a buddy kind of thing). Hopefully don’t have to dig into this too much as it’s currently a bit if a mess. 

I was told it ran last year... 

Any imput would be greatly appreciated

I would definitely pull the carburetor again and do a proper rebuild. You can look on YouTube if your not sure. There are a ton of videos there.  You need to really make sure all jets and passage ways are clear.  Pick up a small can of the compressed air with the small red hose on the tip to blow out the ports on the carb. 

Adjustments on two screws. 

1. Air/fuel screw should be about 1-3/4 turns out from a snug position and you would adjust from there as the bike is running.  Also a video on you tube for that as well. 

2. Idle screw and that’s only adjusted after your air/fuel screw is set.

There is one more adjustment on the carburetor and that’s the main needle jet. It’s the slide inside the carburetor that’s connected to the throttle.  There is a needle inside and it has a clip on it you have to make sure it’s not in a lean position.  Find out what notch the clip is on.   

Both of the screw adjustments need to be done with the air box on and closed up as of it were ready to ride.  

Pop a new plug in as well.  

Good call on rebuilding the rebuild. I believe I have carb all cleaned out and rebuild correctly. Will have to make the adjustments once I figure the no spark issue.  

Got a new plug and no dice. Figured I’d start with the easy/cheap replacement of the ignition coil. No dice again. So I went to YouTube and searched forums to narrow it down again. Apparently CDI units are a high commodity. Though I did come across an interesting one with replacing the primary coil coming from the  magneto.  So I did some preliminary testing on mine.

I have two upings of wires coming from the magneto.  3 yellow wires all on one connection and then a second connection with one blue and one green. Now when I connect the battery to the blue wire I get spark up at the plug. When I throw the fluke meter on the blue when trying to start it I barely get a reading. Am I correct in the assumption that I may be on to something with a bad coil? I have yet to do the research to see what the resistance should be on each of the coils, but thought I should throw out an update on where I’m at with it as your response was much appreciated. 

Great update and great work on the carb.  The wires you are referring to are the stator coil.  The three yellow that are bundled up are coming from the stator coil. The blue and green are from the pick up coil.  

Simple test, fluke meter on ohms. Test each one of the yellow wires to ground. Should get no reading on any of them. If so it’s a dead short and coil is bad. 

Second test is going from one yellow wire to the other.  You should get an equal ohms reading from wire to wire. And that reading should be with range of what’s listed in the manual. The pick up coil is the same test. There is an ohm range in the manual.  

Start there and see how that goes.  

Ok, after a slight distraction I finally got back to working on the quad. I did as suggested and started testing the ohms on the stator and pick up coils. Everything was checking out good (within the expected reading from the manual). I did notice I had the ‘ol random wire (red wire) that didn’t seam to go anywhere. After a little digging I found that It was part of the wire grouping that went to the coil. After unwrapping an abundance of tape I found where the failed “repair” was made. I reconnected the wire and bam I have spark. 

After putting everything back together I dialed in the carb and this quad is back up and running! 

Big shout out to Frank for pointing me in the right direction. Huge help man, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done brother.  Just paying it forward. 

Ride safe. 

Edited by Frank Angerano

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Matt John
      Charging issue?
      I have a 2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI. Yesterday, I start the machine and it says low power (10.6-10.8). This machine is on its second battery. This is a new AGM battery with 50cca more than stock.
      Should I look at the regulator or stator?
      Thanks!!!
    • By Sturgeon
      Hello everyone, did a search and not successful. Purchased new 2017 Sportsman 570 sp and my power steering is not working. Seems to have a mind of it's own. Works then it doesn't. Dealer says there's not a fix. Thought it was just me and it being a brand new machine with 4 hours on it. Dealership said it's this model only ? Not sure what a person in this spot is suppose to do and wondering are your thoughts mite be. Thanks 
    • By JacobSlabach
      got 7 atvs off CL recently for a good price.  one of which is a yamaha warrior.  anyone know where the vin is printed on this bike?  Haha good place to start as I do not know year or size yet.  The former owner says needs exhaust ans and clutch work.  he said it ran fine until the clutch cable broke and then I couldn't get the new cable adjusted right and it would grind gears.  things I see:  clutch cable locked up again, no brakes, carb leaking (green with algae around the bowl and has gelled gas stalagtights on it), aftermarket exhaust melted the airbox so I need something different and a new air box.  I would like the use the current exhaust if I can but I have a feeling its a redneck fix as it looks like there is an ace bandage holding it to the exhaust pipe (its an aftermarket slip-on exhaust), so I'm not sure about that- lets get the bike running first.  also, battery (looks brand new, what a shame) is dead, 0 volts.  Otherwise, bike looks to have not been wrecked, and plastics are ok (it sat outside under a 'tarp' for 3+ years since it was run last).  any tips and advise on where to start first would be awesome as this is my first clutched bike (manual).
      the clutch is my main concern- I've never rode a clutched bike so I dont even know what its supposed to feel like.  lol I'm spoiled on my automatic polaris 
    • By Derrick Lenz
      So I bought a brand new carb that was set and everything. Put it all together and it runs and idles good. The downside is the bottom of the bowl is leaking fuel not a small leak either. I bought one previous and it was a cheap one and it leaked as well so I figured I'd spend the money and by an OEM one and it still leaks. Should I send it into the mechanic and have them adjust the float? I mean for a new carb I was kinda disappointed. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
    • By Mudrecon
      Haven't got a service manual for this yet so I'm flying by the seat of my pants I made myself a shifter extension to go up by the gas tank took my foot shifter off to weld it and now when I put it back on I don't seem to be able to find neutral. Is there some asinine reason that you have to do something internally when you change or remove the foot shifter? It was a simple take off weld put back on and dog bite my pecker it's not working. I hope this is something simple I've done and that's something I need brain surgery for. Cheers fellas I know y'all will have the right answers
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By mmmPUDDIN
      I've had this machine for 2ish years, has ran great up until winter. Sometime during then, I managed to break the exhaust right before the muffler. The summer before it had a hard time idling, but we fixed it by cleaning the carb, and messing with idle. Near the end of last year, the only way for it to fire was the have full choke, and full throttle, and the engine bogged down and you had to keep on throttle for 25mins. Over winter, the throttle had dislocated, and I got it back in place. We got it running, and all was good. Spring came along, and now it doesn't start at all. A fluid is coming out of the exhaust, and I'm told it could be water from over winter. I checked the airbox, and the air filter isn't for this quad, it also is barely sucking air. There appears to be little to no compression, based on this. I'm pretty sure the engine is flooded, as the spark plug produces a spark, but is oxidized. I don't know how the previous owner treated it, or when it's last oil change was. A bolt on the engine has either oil or gas seeping through it,abd was loose. I tightened it and it consisted. The engine is basically positioned in the rear, and it needs a good clean, I don't have a pressure washer, so I can get the built on dirt off. any recommendations on how to get the beast started again?
    • By caperwing
      I just got this quad a few days ago and finally got it running. It has oil leaking and it seems to be coming out around a cylinder bolt. Not the valve cover but just below and to the rear. Is there supposed to be crush washers on that bolt? and what are those bolts supposed to be torqued at?
      Thanks
    • By RockOn
      So I bought a 2001 Quad Runner 250 for my son/wife. Sorry I run a Grizzly 660.
      I’ve rode it many times with no issue.
      My son’s first time out, I could always hear him but feeling he ran it red line in first gear a lot.
      So this is what it was doing during/end of the 2-3 hour ride:
      - halfway though noticed smoke (oil) coming from front of the motor sort of under exhaust manifold. Once back at the truck, it was really noticeable. Definitely oil burning off. I’m thinking from the top end maybe.
      So quick inspection:
      - No leaks or seepage of oil that I could see
      - I pulled the plug and it’s black but not wet
      - No blue/white smoke in exhaust
      - seems to still ride fine
      - Engine still has plenty of oil
      But now that I’m looking at it back at the house - it’s a hard/won’t start when hot. It starts right up cold no problem but once it stalls when hot, have to let it sit for 10-15 before it will start again.
      It wasn’t idling before that trip so I jacked up the idle a bit as well but I think that’s a carb clean/adjustment but...
      Any input is appreciated.
      Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By Thunt56
      How do I replace the pinion clutch shaft in a 1987 Suzuki LT230 quadrunner? It starts up on the first kick but when I put it in gear it wants to kick up. I can give it gas and put it in gear but my clutch lever isn’t doing anything. SOS
    • By Ray Roberts
      Hey everyone im new here, i have a problem with my 2001 suzuki quadrunner 500. When i start the bike up it sounds fine but a few seconds later the idle speed just keeps rising to where you cant put it in gear, and if im lucky it will climb down to where i can put it in gear but when i press the gas it immediately want to die. Please help me!