Quantcast

Need help electrical problems

Hey mike, glad you posted your own topic. Easier to keep track of your problem this way. Ok so have you checked anything so far like the main fuses etc ? Did anything happen like battery issues etc? You want to look at the basic stuff first like all fuses including the main fuses that control the start and dash lights cycle. Then wiggle the ignition key, sometimes the ignition gets worn out and it’s in need of a new ignition. The contacts in the ignition get worn believe it or not and don’t make good contact. Wiggling the key or pushing in on the ignition switch in the on position works. 

Secondly is the neutral safety switches and the safety items that prevent a bike from starting. 

Are you handy with a tester because this will be one of those problems that will require some testing? 

I can get you a diagram for that bike once I know what your up against.  

You will also be able to download the manual yourself after 10 contributing posts on the forum.  

So if it were me I would start to check the fuses and main stuff first like mentioned above and let’s go from there. We also have a member that loves Polaris @JacobSlabach I’m sure he will have something to add here. 

Take a look at the things i mentioned first and see what you have going on. 

Let us know.  

You mentioned it will start if pulled or if you  bypass the starter circuit  and jump from the battery to the starter.. That  makes me suspicious of the neutral safety switch,  or  a relay  connected  to the starting circuit. First , do you  have  power  through the  key switch  when  you  have it turned to   start ?  check  that   you  have continuity through the  neutral  safety  switch, and then  through the  starter  relay. I'm sure  you'll find the fault somewhere in  that circuit. The  no  lights  might be related or another problem to trace down  after you get the  start  sorted out .

Edited by davefrombc
  • Like 1

The gear indicator switch. It’s located on the transmission. Should have a Red wire with a white stripe. Also should be a purple wire and a green wire with a white stripe? See if you can locate them. This way we can confirm that it’s the correct diagram.

That switch will lock you out of any starting capability if it’s faulty.   You can jump wires to test it and see if you get dash lights.  The red with white stripe and the green with white stripe look like it will bring the dash lights on if jumped together however you should only use a test light or ohms meter to jump these two Incase there’s and issue nothing will blow.

Also the ignition switch. Test the plug for power and see if you have 12 volts at the ignition. If so what color wire has the power it should be the red wire. 

378E2097-B3C4-425E-ACEB-DCF1499FE786.jpeg

your talking about the kill switch @Frank Angerano right?

so if you jump the relay, it starts?  I would say kill switch, ignition, or relay is you problem. 

If the kill switch is bad, then wont it cut power to the plug too?  I say try a new starter relay and see what happens.  easy to check the kill switch and key too tho!  ALWAYS try the simple stuff first even if its not likely...  pays off trust me. 

Also, make sure your battery is not hooked up backwards and the wires have good contact with the terminals.

• Like 1

Your welcome mike. But are you sure it’s the switch ? It would suck for you if you wasted time and money on the switch if it’s not bad. I was only pointing you in possible directions of what the problem could be. So unless you positively identified that as a problem you may be disappointed when you install it. I just want to throw that out there brother. 

Like @JacobSlabach said maybe a kill switch etc ? 

You can do some testing before buying parts to positively diagnose the problem.  Just want to let you know. 

• 2 weeks later...