Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Wali

Honda 400ex WONT START HELP

I was riding my 400ex one day and when i shut it off to put it in the garage i tried to start it put again to drive it into the garge and it wouldnt start.I put a compression tester on it and its like 30 psi with out throttle and 0 psi WITH THROTTLE.

when i put my finger over the hole it fell likes its pulling my finger in more then its pushing it out 

Has good spark.When i took it into the shop the said it had 1oz of oil in it and a tiny pit of metal shaving(TINY BIT LIKE 30 flakes)

When i try to pull start (push start/roll start) it made a not normal sound  and wouldnt stay running.

If my bottom end is blow why would it still turn over fine,

Are my valves siezed or not working properly 

or is my timing off causeing valves to not open in correct order with fire 

PLEASE HELP all help is appreciated 

This could be one of so many things.  Engines that blow the bottom end can still run.  They knock like a son of a bitch and will run until the bottom end completely blows apart.  If there was very little oil then you must have a leak someplace and that could have caused this ? Check the oil plug and any seals as well as any oily places on the engine. 

Second item is the timing could have jumped and slammed the valves and piston together either putting a hole in the piston or bending a valve. 

Third item is the compression release has failed and that’s all it could be ? 

Based on the low compression I would feel theres a hole in the piston or a big crack somewhere or a blown head gasket.   

Pull the oil cap off, put the spark plug back in. Do not put the spark plug wire on! Crank the engine and see if you have air pressure coming from where  the oil fill cap is by holding your hand lightly over it. If so you def have compression leaking into the engine. 

You can also spray the engine down with a soapy water solution and crank the engine and look for bubbles. 

I would do these simple tests first and go from there.  

Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By seth baronie
      Need a stock drive clutch for a 2015 sportsman XP 1000. Part number 1322953
      [email protected]
      paypal ready
    • By Dana Hudson
      Hey everyone, hoping to get some help here... my kids 03 KTF 50 Quad has always ran great... they were riding it a couple of hours a few days ago and it died a couple of times (not normal) but started right back up. A few days later my 5 year old wanted to take it for a spin so I started it (2 pulls) and he took off.. he made it a couple hundred yards and it died and we havnt been able to start it since. I have new gas, good spark and 120 psi compression.. it will not start with starter fluid in the intake or even in the cylinder.. the fuel bowl has fuel at the carb... what am I missing? It’s driving me crazy!!
    • By bradleyheathhays
      So I got this '96 Jeep Cherokee XJ that cranks but doesn't start.  It's got around 180k on her but I keep everything in good shape.  Batt seemed strong.

I used to drive it everyday but this past year I've driven it only about twice a week.  It's been just slightly slower to start in the last couple of months, but just barely slower.  Was guessing it had something to do with aging plugs or something.

Drove it yesterday and everything was normal like always, sat overnight and today it cranked but didn't catch.

Any ideas on where to start?
    • By Elijah Stone
      Hi all new to the forum I have a Yamaha Moto 4 champ (100cc?) (YFM100) so I've been trying to get this thing to start for awhile honestly I'm running out of ideas so I'll start with the things Ive replaced and done first it was not trying at all and then I put a brand new battery then the terminals broke so I bought some nice copper ones fixed that up so now battery is got good voltage and all that I have checked all the plugs cleaned everything off so anyway it still wasn't trying but I couldn't get the crank case off and I didn't think using fire was a good idea lol so I busted the crank case off on the left side(if you are sitting on it) wierdly enough the flywheel started spinning I thought it was odd but went with it then I replaced the spark plug still wasn't getting spark so I replaced the ignition coil then it was getting spark next the carburetor was really gross I cleaned it out still wasn't working so I in turn decided just to replace it with a new one so I did (PS I never figured out how the fuel lines hook up if someone wants to help with that to lol) also for good measure put a new air filter so then I pressing the button Everytime I replace something and nothing so then I think what if it's the stator so I have no idea what a good or bad stator looks like but me being to rough I broke the wires on the thing but still no changes the fly wheel spins gets compression (I think) getting spark from spark plug idk other tidbits that might be useful I don't have a clutch line so idk if that has something to do with it I do have the break zip tied in to bypass the safety feature also the throttle cable is in fact broken and I'm working on buying a new petcock for my gas tank because my current one is broke I have very limited money this is supposed to be a project before I go to school for welding and automotive tech so I don't have any money to get a mechanic lol but I'm pretty confident in my ability to do anything u suggest any suggestions are welcome I'll edit and submit pics
    • By Rich1028
      Anyone riding this weekend?

who is riding,and where this weekend?

wife's quad is to be picked up sat. morning,then off to tire shop to have new tires put on,I'm thinking maybe a short blast up to leota trail on Sunday.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Trenton
      Hello. I am a new member as of today. I had a quick question to ask. I recently was driving mt HONDA RANCHER 2004 GPSscape 400 and my display stopped working. I was driving the atv and all of a sudden the speedometer and the service lights went out. Also the lights stopped working. I am still able to shift gears, change from 2wd to 4wd, and can still select if I want EPS or Auto. I have checked my fuse box and have changed a few of them around. It did not change anything. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what had happend. Thank you for your time- Trenton 
    • By Coral Breding
      I loosened the allen bolts on the carrier and when I went to put my driver in the alot to pull back and tighten the chain, I noticed the holes were facing the front of the bike. I tried to slide a driver in and tighten the chain but the thing would not budge. I nearly ripped the tip off the driver in the slot. Any suggestions? 

• By Ineedabrew
      Hello all,
      I have brought an 84 TRX 200 back to life and unfortunately whomever dug into it first removed the two trim pieces that go around the gas tank.  I was thinking someone on the site may have an old parts bike with these pieces lying around.....  If so, drop me a message and we can make a deal.  I just want to complete the bike!
      Thanks,
      Jason

• By Connor Tuftin
      I have a 1988 300 Honda FourTrax, All wheel drive.
      My brother and I were fixing up this quad. We put a brand new battery and fuses in and it was running fine until we put the quad into reverse. As soon as it was put into reverse all of the electrical cut out and power wasn't making it to the head unit anymore and both of the brand new fuses popped. We figured there might have been a short from the starter or solenoids, but they are all working properly. At this point we don't know where to start looking for where the short could be. I'm just wondering if anybody has had the same issue or knows of similar issues that could cause these electrical shorts?
    • By Hunter Aldridge
      Some times I get spark some times not can ride then it just dies and wont get spark it has new cdi box and stator but I don't know if it has the pickup coil I'm at a loss