Quantcast

2003 quadsport z400

I got this 400, that wouldn't start. It would try, but wouldn't catch. I checked the valves and the L intake was tight at .002. The compression came in around 120. It didn't improve after a couple of drops of oil into the cylinder. So,I figured it was the valve causing the problem. So, I got the valves squared away, but it still won't start. I checked the spark and it seems like it's getting an intermittent spark. It fires a few times then nothing. If l let up on the button and then hit again immediately, it will fire a few more times, then repeat. So, what am I looking at as a possibility? Electrical issues are not my strong point. LOL

Oh, and also the camshaft timing seems odd to me. I watched a couple of utube vids and both pointed out a "3" on the intake cam sprocket and a "2" on the exhaust sprocket. The one I'm working on has neither. Each sprocket has EX on one side and IN on the other, not directly opposite each other, either. Someone had painted IN/EX on the sprockets and put some white dots on them where they line up with the top of the cylinder head. IDK if these are some aftermarket camshafts or what.

Thank you. It seems like the spark is ok with a new plug. But also when I crank it over it struggles when ever it hits the compression stroke. I thought it was a weak battery so I got new larger lawn equipment battery, fully charged, and I hook it up via jumper cables and it does the same thing. You think the starter is bad/weak? It pops and acts like it wants to start, but, it seems if it was spinning faster, it would. I wonder if I could bump start it with a truck or quad? That might answer that question.

1 hour ago, Frank Angerano said:

Honestly if that engine is having trouble at the top of the stroke plus the backfire makes me thing the timing jumped a spot.  I would double check before you keep cranking.   

I may have to take a look at that. It did the same before I took it apart and checked the valves. Someone has had it apart before that, tho. Read my 2nd post. It doesn't have marks on the cam sprockets like described in the Y.T vids that I watched. 

Hmmm IDK. If you look at the diagram that you put up, and also on the video, you will notice on the intake cam that the keyway is at about 1 oclock and 11 oclock on the exhaust. Now, look at the first pics I put up before I took it apart. On the intake the key is at about 11 and on the exhaust it's at about 3 oclock. Fuuuuuuuu... something smells here. LOL

Believe it or not you can do that but it has to be a running bike Un fortunately.  I’ve seen and tried after watching.  When the bike is running up to par I’ve seen a person put marks on the flywheel and on the engine casing. After hitting it with the timing light it worked. Crazy stuff but yes.  I have to try to find the video.  It wa s a good idea. 

I honestly think your cams are off, hope I’m wrong. But I think you have to go back and look at what was done and try to locate some information on the cams you have or replace with oem cams and sprockets.   

Lol take a deep breath and maybe a step back. To much time at it will make you crazy. My feeling is that spring is exactly what I think it is. But I could be wrong.   If it fell down Into the cylinder it could have easily been mangled up in the cam chain into pieces and basically been pumped through the engine.  I’m thinking along these lines like I said earlier based on the top end work.  I would change the oil a few more times with cheap oil to make sure you get it all out.  You can use paint strainers to catch any debris as you drain the oil and re use the oil over to keep flushing the system.   Once it’s all clear put a better grade oil in. 

If it’s just the small spring chances are it’s not going to do much.   Go through all the gears to make sure it’s shifting, you can do that just by rocking the bike back and forth and go through the gears.  

Stick with the timing to make sure it’s correct  and get it fired and listen to it run. Take it from there.   That pic I sent you is a cam  that’s for your machine.  

The only other option is to pull the engine off the frame and set it on a bench and tare it down.   Not sure how far you want to go but it is what it is. 

Lastly is the previous owner: did he or she give you any background on this machine ? It seems like you don’t have much background history with it as to what was done etc?

• Like 1