Quantcast

2003 quadsport z400

Reading this  thread rang a bell  for  me.  In page one Hewas mentioned the  keyways are  opposite of what the videos show when the  marks are all  lined up...  I  suspect the  previous owner lined the  marks up   as per Frank's diagram , but instead of  using the  exhaust  cam to  start  (  #1 lined up  with head gasket ) he  used the intake cam. All  3  would be lined up as illustrated ,  but 180 degrees out of time .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, the update.... The camshafts are old Stage 2 HotCams. I sent them off to H.C and they are going to put some marks on them so I can time them properly. In the old days. H.C's put paint marks on the camshafts for timing purposes. They wear off over time. They're doing this at no charge. Just shipping. I think it's $15 total. ANyway, the pcs of metal debris that came out of the engine is the starter sprague or starter  clutch. Ya.Came out in many many pcs. Not good. However, I have removed the head and the valves look good and piston and cylinder look great. 

This thing right here is what is broken.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LTZ-400-Quadsport-Starter-Clutch-for-Suzuki-LT-Z400-03-14-LTZ-400Z/231436719164?hash=item35e2b4143c:g:gvoAAOSwwTlUnK5g

This is what's left! 

20190909_163904.thumb.jpg.2a3d6964eab5844c66c03b4d8b0af57f.jpg

20190909_163335.thumb.jpg.c6fab05fe6c3e10bf990756e3e1761fc.jpg

20190910_120254.thumb.jpg.3bf83ba0ab2e92941f677e993d87dc62.jpg

Edited by HeWasRidinDirty

On 9/11/2019 at 4:12 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Wow that’s a lot of parts.  Great work on the research! Happy to hear the top end is in good shape. Hopefully all else is well and you can slam that thing back together when you get the cams back.   

Great update.  Let us know how it all turns out! 

Welp, it's going back together. I did my best to flush out any remaining debris. I spoke to HotCams yesterday and the cams are on their way.

20190917_171846.thumb.jpg.b74481cd7a531196ec5103e570e016e5.jpg

20190918_140447.thumb.jpg.c2f23718b04d0edd5a87f2b6c424dcd0.jpg

Inspector Woof says my work is a bit ruff, but, he signed it off! Lol

20190918_141620.thumb.jpg.a5b2976f5e3208b55595c92d1222f3b5.jpg

15 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

It’s not all it’s barked up to be this ATV thing! 

Looks like your well into it, how’s it going ? 

I had to order a new woodruff key yesterday........so, I'm stuck until tomorrow. Tomorrow is riding day!!!! So, it'll have to wait until saturday. 

7 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

You need to get you a spare bike. Just a fixer up to have around.   At least it’s something to ride. Nothing worse then waiting on parts.   

No,no,no, I'm riding tomorrow! I prefer 2 wheels, but,  I do it on all 4 sometimes! 

20180826_091221.thumb.jpg.529b87cac0c65f76b603384371132f1e.jpg

1 hour ago, HeWasRidinDirty said:

I found the specs for a 2009 ltz 400. This one is a 2003. IDK if they're the same. I have a tester.

Frank, I had a bit of an erratic spark before I took the stator and flywheel off. Do you suppose that all the metal pcs that were flying around in there had anything to do with that? And, I might just put it back on and check the spark. Will not having any oil in it have any effect on the performance of the stator? And I don't think that cranking it over for a few seconds with no oil will hurt anything. IDK. I will put assembly lube on the camshafts and rockers tho. 

On 9/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Nice work, sorry brother been busy with work.  Fuel out of the carb sounds like a bad float adjustment or the float is cracked. 

Keep up with the progress! 

You guessed it. I adjusted the float and it's all good. I rode it around a bit yesterday. Runs pretty damn good! I'm gonna drain the oil from the engine into a nice clean container and see if there is any more debris in it. And, it needs a new a battery. damnit! Freakin $90. 😧

Two signs that the engine has a major problem: 1) silicone seal on the alternator cover; silicone seal is not gas and oil resistant - the cover is supposed to have and needs the paper gasket that seals the cover to the engine - 2) those metal fragments, need to try to determine what they are and where they came from.

I'm guessing the pulse generator or the stator and possibly both are damaged and need replaced.

One thing that signals tampering of the engine design is the slotted holes on the cam gears and the generic grade bolts holding the gear to the sprocket.  Someone was attempting to degree the cams and used over the counter parts to secure the parts.  The metal fragments don't look like anything that is common to engine assembly.  My guess is it is something dropped into the engine during the cam degreeing attempt.  If it were mine, I would tear the motor completely down and assemble it properly using correct parts.  During the process you might find where the metal fragments originated and can replace the missing or damaged part.

2 minutes ago, Steve A said:

Two signs that the engine has a major problem: 1) silicone seal on the alternator cover; silicone seal is not gas and oil resistant - the cover is supposed to have and needs the paper gasket that seals the cover to the engine - 2) those metal fragments, need to try to determine what they are and where they came from.

I'm guessing the pulse generator or the stator and possibly both are damaged and need replaced.

One thing that signals tampering of the engine design is the slotted holes on the cam gears and the generic grade bolts holding the gear to the sprocket.  Someone was attempting to degree the cams and used over the counter parts to secure the parts.  The metal fragments don't look like anything that is common to engine assembly.  My guess is it is something dropped into the engine during the cam degreeing attempt.  If it were mine, I would tear the motor completely down and assemble it properly using correct parts.  During the process you might find where the metal fragments originated and can replace the missing or damaged part.

That's all been covered. You gotta read the entire thread, noob. 

LOL. I'm just messin with ya. I  think I got it all sorted out thanks to Frank and some others. 👊

• Like 1

Yeah - I just realized I was on the first page of the thread - I've seen the full time line now and glad to hear you got it ironed out.  I have an 03 LTZ400 that has a knock in the engine - I plan to tear it down this winter and fix whatever is causing it.  Maybe I'll post the project here as I do it.

3 minutes ago, Steve A said:

Yeah - I just realized I was on the first page of the thread - I've seen the full time line now and glad to hear you got it ironed out.  I have an 03 LTZ400 that has a knock in the engine - I plan to tear it down this winter and fix whatever is causing it.  Maybe I'll post the project here as I do it.

Ya, that would be an interesting thread. This engine sounds really good. Snappy as hell. 

On 9/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Nice work, sorry brother been busy with work.  Fuel out of the carb sounds like a bad float adjustment or the float is cracked. 

Keep up with the progress! 

Hey, I think I'm going to pick up a new battery today for the 400. Now, since this thing with the aftermarket cams doesn't have the auto-decompression, should I look for a battery that has a little bit more cranking power? It looks like the stock battery is 8ah. Is that the number that I need to look at? Thanks, dood. 👊

The oem battery will work fine. You can upgrade the cranking amps but I don’t think you need to.  If you do just check your dimensions of the old battery and compare it to the new. All the batteries show the dimensions.  

Today’s batteries are a lot better so the oem should be fine.    Just go with a name brand and remember you get what you pay for.  

4 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

The oem battery will work fine. You can upgrade the cranking amps but I don’t think you need to.  If you do just check your dimensions of the old battery and compare it to the new. All the batteries show the dimensions.  

Today’s batteries are a lot better so the oem should be fine.    Just go with a name brand and remember you get what you pay for.  

I got a battery  just like the one that was in it. It's charging now.

I drained the engine and the plug is clean.

20190930_111345.thumb.jpg.d7c6038eee4c8449bc2d1095fb0d95c7.jpg

And the oil. Very clean

15698677656731457619151.thumb.jpg.8cb98233eacb60ad179a82cd3da52896.jpg