Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Trevor B

Polaris Predator 500 Help!!

Hello. I got this fourwheeler to fix for my buddy. It wasnt starting at all when I got it so I opened the valve cover up and checked the timing and the timing was way off. I set the timing bolted all back together and it started. It only stays running with very little throttle applied. There is a weird noise coming from the engine and it smells like its burning and also smokes from the headers. I posted a video idk how helpful it will be but I need some advice on the next step. I want to say it's the piston and rings, but I'm not too sure was also thinking something was up with the valves. Thought I would get some advice before trying anything. Thanks!

• Like 1

What kind of weird noise? And smoke coming from the exhaust is mostly a valve cover leaking. Unless your valve seals are bad but you would get a lot of blue smoke from the exhaust.   

How far was it out of time because if it was far out then then the piston and valves could have kissed causing a bent valve condition.   

If it doesn't idle, you probably just need to rebuild the carb. Likely dirty pilot jet.  The video doesn't really sound that bad, motor sounds good to me.  Of course, video never really tells the whole story either....

i definitely hear the tick in the vid, i would double/triple check your timing and valve adjustment...  maybe you adjusted it to the wrong tdc?  its a 4 stroke so there are two.  could be a belt valve, but sound to me like its out of time currently.  why did he bring it to you?  did it jump time on him or just wouldnt start one day or stopped while he was on the trail or what?

Edited by JacobSlabach

Sounded like the exhaust was leaking at the head also you might try checking your crank bearings rod bearing and wristpin for play....what plug are you running?

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.