Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

james p

2000 polaris magnum 500 spark problem

Hey all new member so I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post, but I'm having trouble with a 2000 polaris magnum 500 I just acquired. The quad ran when I got it but was having problems that sounded like the camshaft, and sure enough camshaft lobe was pretty much gone, so we replaced the camshaft and exhaust rockers and now the quad doesnt have spark. We had the quad running right before we tore the old camshaft out and now no spark. Anybody else ever have a problem similar? We've been checking for loose wires, checked grounds, and double checked timing but cant get it figured out so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks 

Hey all new member so I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post, but I'm having trouble with a 2000 polaris magnum 500 I just acquired. The quad ran when I got it but was having problems that sounded like the camshaft, and sure enough camshaft lobe was pretty much gone, so we replaced the camshaft and exhaust rockers and now the quad doesnt have spark. We had the quad running right before we tore the old camshaft out and now no spark. Anybody else ever have a problem similar? We've been checking for loose wires, checked grounds, and double checked timing but cant get it figured out so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks 

Hay James welcome to Quadcrazy. My guess would be that something is not connected the right way. Maybe one of the prongs on a plug has slipped out of the back, possibly a bad connection someplace. Maybe a plug is not connected etc. Check all fuses and grounds as well.

You can start by double checking the obvious suspects just to be sure nothing burnt up. Stator coil tests, secondary coil tests and regulator coil tests.   

Is it possible that the battery was connected the wrong way for a split second ? 

Have you double checked the ignition switch and kill switch are ok ? If you disconnected the battery prior to the work then there should be no problem.  If something got shorted out then it’s good to be a process of elimination. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By TheDOM
      Help, new to atv.  Polaris given to me.  Ran when got it.  Couple years later it backfires when it warms up.  Runs great cold!  Also starter won't even turn over.  Any direction would help.
    • By Admin
      Looking for Polaris ATV VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Number Decoders? Once you find your ATV VIN number off the tag on your Polaris ATV, you can go to all kinds of websites that have VIN Decoders available. The best ones are backed by the Polaris ATV manufacturer, however there are plenty of aftermarket Polaris ATV VIN Decoder websites on the web. This topic will stay pinned and if you find any to add, please do it with a reply. 
      The following Polaris ATV VIN Decoder websites are available where you can just enter your VIN number and it will shows you some of your ATV model details:
      CycleVin.com - Use Our Off-Road Vehicle Search to look up ATVs and more!
      KBB.com https://www.kbb.com/vehicle-history-report/ 
      CARFAX https://www.carfax.com
      autoDNA https://www.autodna.com
      VinAudit http://www.vinaudit.com/
      decodeTHIS https://www.decodethis.com
      VINCario https://vindecoder.eu/
      NICB Theft Check https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck 
    • By oxidized_black
      Victory VIN Decoder @ Motoverse.com
      CycleVin.com - Use Our Off-Road Vehicle Search to look up ATVs and more!
    • By JonBat68
      I have a 99 250 Quadrunner. Currently has no spark. It would run for 5 minutes, then shut off. After it cooled down about 20-30 minutes, it would start again. I ordered a new stator and found the old one was damaged (copper windings broken)  I installed the new stator, filled with oil and now it has no spark. Any assistance would be helpful
    • By jwline
      Friday evening went riding, rode for a good hour or so everything was fine. I went to take a short ride to the restroom (less than 100 yds away) and all of the sudden everything flickered and then just died out. Accompanying the problem I noticed the killswitch completely locked up. Once daylight hit took the killswitch apart to find it had shorted out and melted the plastic inside. Has anyone else had anything similar to this and if so what did you do to fix the situation? I have a new killswitch on the way to replace the obvious problem but was wondering could there be a bigger issue at hand. We tested with a voltage meter to make sure everything was still getting power from the battery and as far as we could tell it was.
      Any advice/info would be GREATLY appreciated.
      Thanks.