Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

KINGSIZE

1998 Yamaha Timberwolf

Howdy,

I was given a 2008 Yamaha Timberwolf by my in laws a few weeks back. Of course my FIL said it hasn’t run in 8 years but all it needs is gas and oil!

That hasn’t been the case...so far I’ve replaced the spark plug, changed air filter, replaced battery, replaced fuel and oil filters, fresh oil and gas. I tried starting her up and no luck, it turns over but won’t get going.

Now I’ve moved on to cleaning the carburetor which I’ve heard is a common problem area. I can’t figure out how to remove the bowl at the bottom, any suggestions? I removed the four screws that I thought were holding it in place but the bowl won’t budge

Thanks and looking forward to getting her running!

Some photos of what I’ve got going on , this has taken over the garage

IMG_1653.JPGIMG_1651.JPGIMG_1650.JPGIMG_1652.JPG

Should come off, may have to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver, gasket may just be corroded on. Maybe light tap with a rubber mallet.  If it’s been sitting for a while, check the float, sometimes they get stuck from sitting for years.

Have you checked to see if it's making a spark?

usually a good smack to the fuel bowl with a screwdriver handle will bust it loose. 

if you need cheap parts they make a chinese copy, the jianshe 250. i use one of their CDI`s. Bought it for $30 instead of an original for $400 and it has been good for the last 4 years. i have also replaced the carby with a $35 chinese one that works good after i reused the original carbs jets and needle

Thanks for all of the advice. It is making a spark when holding the plug against the engine side and pressing the starter button.

I cleaned the carb bowl which still has minor corrosion and it’s still not starting. Does it have to be squeaky clean?

The needle, spring, and float all seem to be functioning properly within the carb l.

I’m thinking about taking it to a small engine mechanic because they may be able to diagnose the problem immediately.

Hey @KINGSIZE welcome to Quadcrazy. 
wen taking the carb apart to clean you have to break it all the way down to make sure all the passages are clear. Here is a topic on properly cleaning a carb, give it a shot and take your time. After this is done she will fore right up and it will be a matter a making some minor final adjustments to dial it in. 

Thanks for the suggestion Frank, that is a very thorough write up. Now I just need to find some time to get started on a detailed clean

No worries. Just take your time and you can do it.  It’s not rocket science brother.  Any questions ask away. You have a ton of support here.  

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chris2018
      I have a 1996 Kawasaki Mojave KSF250. I have no manual on it and it has a no spark issue. If anyone could give me a hand with this or would possibly have a manual would appreciate it. 
    • By Ted Aregi
      I've got a king quad 750cc has anyone converted the fuel pump relay to a stronger fuel pump relay on there king quad?
    • By Brandon Bollinger
      Doesnt seem to make the sound all the time. Mostly does it under load or going up an incline. Its kind of like a clunk and or grinding noise, Kind of hard to decipher. Today while going up an incline it actually stopped and it sounds like something spinning and then it ingauged again and it would move. I checked the clutches and installed a new belt before it did that also. Rear drive shaft seems ok where U joint is too. Has all new rear CV shafts and bearings and al new bushings in rear arms. Also flushed out the rear Diff with no shavings. Any ideas or where to check. 
    • By Ajmboy
      2017 Yamaha Sport ATV Lineup

2017 Raptor 700R SE
      With added GYTR front grab bar, heel guards and eye-catching color scheme the Special Edition Raptor 700R extends its reign even further.
      MSRP $9,099*
      2017 Raptor 700R
      With class-leading performance, styling and comfort, the Raptor 700R is the unrivaled King of big-bore sport ATVs.
      MSRP $8,399*
      2017 Raptor 700
      The undisputed champion of affordable big-bore sport ATV performance.
      MSRP $7,899*
        2017 YFZ450R SE
      Stand out from the crowd with the new YFZ450R SE, featuring GYTR front grab bar and an aggressive color scheme.
      MSRP $9,299*
      2017 YFZ450R
      The YFZ450R knows no equal and was born and bred to be the ultimate track tamer with championship-winning DNA.
      MSRP $8,999*
      2017 Raptor 90
      Boasting aggressive styling, mirroring that of the high-performance Raptor 700R, the Raptor 90 will inspire upcoming riders 10-years-old and up.
      MSRP $2,899*
        2017 YFZ50
      The all-new YFZ50 offers electric start, automatic transmission and parental controls in a package inspired by the legendary YFZ450R.
      MSRP $2,099*
    • By zont
      Hi, I have just purchased a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400 I think, the vin has worn off and I have located an engine number I think it is J312E-004674, could anyone tell me where the engine number might be please
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Sharon van den Berg
      We bought an old atv from friends to bum around on the farm with. VIN number is rusted off. Is there a way to determine the year model from the engine number? We only need the info to buy parts. Please help

• By Todd Barrett
      Hi all 
      I'm finding it rather difficult to find 10"x6" front rims. My question is will 12"x7" fit and will there be enough clarence when on full lock? 
    • By northern
      Just picked this up at a yard sale, runs and drives..color coded wires for battery were backwards, Meaning a red wire was used for negative and a black for positive....

Upon bringing it home decided to boost the battery and walked away giving it a small charge prior to starting it..came back to find battery slightly smoking and my Green light for power (neutral) was no longer lit up...Still starts when i pull start it with key on.
      Turn key on and no starter spin up, no lights
      Id like to get my Electric start working, What could be the problem, Where does one start.
    • By Steve Westby
      i have an issue with my brakes.it seems every time i ride through water or mud and then the brakes began to freeze up.I was wondering if anyone has total change the brake system from drum to disk or a different drum set up?
    • By Zacharia Maisonneuve
      i have a 1993 timberwolf yamaha and the compression is good and lights work but for some reason the electricity is not going to the spark plug(s)! i got a friend to check it out and they said its no use but im not giving up! please help with this!