Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

1987 Kawasaki Bayou KLF300 Not charging

Back again with another headache, maybe you guys can help me out. 

Picked up a 87 Bayou 300 not running of course, all stator wires melted 

on the motor and also no spark. I checked the pick up coil ohmed out good. 

traced the wires and led to no cdi box, yes missing. So ordered it and while waited 

fixed the stator wires, had to wire direct to harness. Get the cdi installed and after a lot

of other things started it up. Battery dead so used a batt charger to start it. Now when i shut

off the charger the motor died. So i check charging voltage...nada. I see voltage regulator is 

old and catalist leaking so i replaced it. Same thing no charge. I check stator and no voltage 

with it unpluged from harness while running. Soooooo i replace stator. Now Stator wires have

23v and up to over 50v at higher rpms. So i know its charging now. Connect everything back up and 

no charge voltage at battery! Still dies when i shut off charger. All 3 yellow stator wires have good voltage, checked

harness from stator to regulator and is good. The white wire has battery voltage at regulator, the brown wire has battery 

voltage at regulator when key on. The Black/yellow stripe has good ground. I get 3 volts at battery when i shut off charger. 

If i connect old regulator i get 7 volts when i shut off charger. Do i have a defective new regulator? Im stumped. when i 

figure this one out i have a big wiring problem on another one ill let you in on.  Az

Double  check  wiring.. In many DC  circuits  with multiple  wires at a connector white  is  ground.  The  black/ yellow  and  white might  be  swapped..   Only a guess since  I  don't have access to  a wiring diagram  for your  quad.

• 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
    • By tomlad
      hi all first post  just found forum and the manuals / wiring diagram BIG THANK YOU
      im struggling to find the vin number on my frame? I m told left side of frame , lower, nr. in front of the gear pedal ?? haven't found it yet , is it numbers stamped on the frame or a commission plate ??
      main prob. no spark no power to coil , off to study the wiring info I've just found
      thanks again. tom
    • By BrunoNogueira91
      Hello, I am restoring a bayou 220 here in Brazil, I have a question regarding the rear brake activated by the lever on the left side. The ex-owner connected it in place of the reverse cable and as this is incorrect, could someone show me through pictures where I correctly connect the rear brake cable? Another thing, every time you reverse, is it necessary to activate the reverse key?
    • By Brent Wright
      What's a good size to start a 10 year old on?
    • By 92BayouB
      Hey there all,
      First off thanks for the board. My Bayou 220 has survived 3 teenagers and is on its 4th now. Up until  recently it has been a virtual tank....until I decided to fix it;)
      Noticed some smoking from the engine block (not exhaust) so figured it was time for a quick top end rebuild. Now that I have it all back together, it fails to start. I've pulled the starter rope until my arm is tired. 
      So I will be as detailed as possible and hopefully get some help.
      Completed:
      -New Head gasket
      -New Valve seals
      -New piston (standard)
      -New rings (standard)
      -All new seals
      -Cleaned up head and valves (didn't do any resurfacing, as it all cleaned up pretty easy)
      -All torqued to spec
      -Piston ring gaps all checked out
      -Valve clearances (Intake: .18mm, Exhaust .20mm). Not too tight, not too loose.
      Pros:
      -Engine IS making decent compression
      -DO have spark
      -Will fire for a split second if I drop some gas in the spark plug hole and pull start. Will NOT from carb and or intake valve. 

Timing:
      So I followed the guide of: TDC
      -Flywheel aligns on the “T” mark on the engine site hole
      -Cam gear mark aligned with the cover mark
      Seeing as this is my first time doing a top end rebuild on an ATV. Here are my questions and concerns:
      -I didn't realize (dummy me) that there are 2 TDC's. 1- Compression, 1-Exhaust. 
      How do I know if I'm on the right one?
      -Does the cam need to be aligned a certain way when put back in? I just aligned the cam gear dimple with the cam and put it in. No alignment. 
      Thanks ahead of time. I feel like I'm 90% there, but I'm missing an important step for completion.