Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Bayou 220 Top end rebuild: NO start. 90% there. Could be timing?

Hey there all,

First off thanks for the board. My Bayou 220 has survived 3 teenagers and is on its 4th now. Up until  recently it has been a virtual tank....until I decided to fix it;)

Noticed some smoking from the engine block (not exhaust) so figured it was time for a quick top end rebuild. Now that I have it all back together, it fails to start. I've pulled the starter rope until my arm is tired. 

So I will be as detailed as possible and hopefully get some help.

Completed:
-New Head gasket
-New Valve seals
-New piston (standard)
-New rings (standard)
-All new seals
-Cleaned up head and valves (didn't do any resurfacing, as it all cleaned up pretty easy)
-All torqued to spec

-Piston ring gaps all checked out
-Valve clearances (Intake: .18mm, Exhaust .20mm). Not too tight, not too loose.

Pros:
-Engine IS making decent compression
-DO have spark
-Will fire for a split second if I drop some gas in the spark plug hole and pull start. Will NOT from carb and or intake valve. 

Timing:
So I followed the guide of: TDC
-Flywheel aligns on the “T” mark on the engine site hole
-Cam gear mark aligned with the cover mark

Seeing as this is my first time doing a top end rebuild on an ATV. Here are my questions and concerns:

-I didn't realize (dummy me) that there are 2 TDC's. 1- Compression, 1-Exhaust. 
How do I know if I'm on the right one?

-Does the cam need to be aligned a certain way when put back in? I just aligned the cam gear dimple with the cam and put it in. No alignment. 

Thanks ahead of time. I feel like I'm 90% there, but I'm missing an important step for completion. 

What's it sound like when it fires? Does it backfire from the exhaust? PO through the carb? The pin or dimple on the cam locates the cam shaft and the timing mark should look like the pic. With the timing lined up mark at the "T" Mark. Did you check the compression with a compression tester? What was the reading?

Capture+_2020-12-19-15-09-16.png

• Like 1

When you say it fires for a second, do you mean it starts for a second or so, or that it makes smoke and a noise but not spin the motor ?

If it spins the motor when it fires then the compression and ignition timing will be correct. If it burns the fuel and makes smoke but doesn't spin the motor up then you might have the ignition timing not matching with the cam timing. I'm not familiar with that motor but some motors you can time the cam and have comression but have the ignition firing on the wrong position, by which I mean it might be firing when the pistons at the top but the exhaust valve is just closing and the inlet just opening.. not on the compression stroke.

You can probably check that by taking the sparkplug out and turning the crankshaft by hand and checking the spark occurs when the piston's near top on the stroke that has both valves closed.

If that's correct then I'd suspect no fuel or a vacuum leak on the inlet. How long was it apart ? Any chance a mason bee could have made a nest in the fuel line or carby inlet ? Any chance you have a split in the rubber inlet manifold? Or a blocked exhaust stopping air being drawn in...

Edited by Mech
  • Like 1

@Dave Randolph 

Thanks for the response. Pics attached. The timing/cam is lined up as perfectly as I could get it. On the compression stroke.

To be clear the ONLY time it "fired" was when I poured a bit of gas directly into the cylinder from the spark plug hole. Will not fire through carb. And when I say "fired" it made only a quick pop for a half second. Nothing actually started. Put on a new carb. Still nothing.

Checked the compression. Ranged from 90-100psi. Very low, yes,. But as I understand it, the motor hasn't really even started, or moved more than a couple revolutions, so the rings aren't seated and it can't really build compression. What are the chances its the valves? Not completely sealing. I have a hard time believing that, as I would think something would run at this point...but I'm new to this so you never know.

@Mech 

"Fires" just meant it did make a pop when I poured some gas directly into the spark plug hole, and pulled the starter rope. As I attached, the timing is lined up as perfectly as can be on the compression stroke. Wasn't apart for long, I checked every hose for blockage. I highly suspect the valves at this point. Just running out of options. It was running (badly) before I rebuilt the top end...now nothing.

20201220_125641.jpg

20201220_125630.jpg

Edited by 92BayouB
  • Like 1

That valve timing looks right. But perhaps it's not timed to match the ignition. Have you tried turning the crank back from firing by half a turn, with the sparkplug out and attached to it's lead, and then turning the crank forwards that half turn as fast as you can with a socket or spanner? Lots of cdi will make a spark with a half turn.. If there is no spark near tdc then turn the crank till both valves are open and it's at topdeadcentre, then turn it a half turn backwards again, then forwards as fast as you can with the socket again and look for spark again.. It might be firing when the pistons at top but with both valves open, the exhaust just closing and the inlet just opening.. It's a long shot because I'm presuming the ignition trigger is on the crank, and mostly those sorts fire every rotation..but some only fire after two turns..

That should be enough compression to get it spinning, and as you say, the compression will come up once it's had a run, but if it isn't spinning even once when it pops then I'd suspect it's firing on the wrong stroke of the piston.. Also the way you describe it, as a pop, that doesn't sound like a proper firing with compression huh.. it should really make a good hard bang..

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 6:39 PM, Mech said:

That valve timing looks right. But perhaps it's not timed to match the ignition. Have you tried turning the crank back from firing by half a turn, with the sparkplug out and attached to it's lead, and then turning the crank forwards that half turn as fast as you can with a socket or spanner? Lots of cdi will make a spark with a half turn.. If there is no spark near tdc then turn the crank till both valves are open and it's at topdeadcentre, then turn it a half turn backwards again, then forwards as fast as you can with the socket again and look for spark again.. It might be firing when the pistons at top but with both valves open, the exhaust just closing and the inlet just opening.. It's a long shot because I'm presuming the ignition trigger is on the crank, and mostly those sorts fire every rotation..but some only fire after two turns..

That should be enough compression to get it spinning, and as you say, the compression will come up once it's had a run, but if it isn't spinning even once when it pops then I'd suspect it's firing on the wrong stroke of the piston.. Also the way you describe it, as a pop, that doesn't sound like a proper firing with compression huh.. it should really make a good hard bang..

Ok, so I think I understand what you are saying, so let me give you an update.

Pic below is my basic timing drawing.

-IF its all lined up (timing correct) as it is...shouldn't the sensor/magnet on the flywheel match up exactly with the pickup coil for spark? Looks exactly that way in the manual.
- I DO have spark. Have checked.

My suspicion is:

-the valves not sealing properly
-not making enough rotations on the pull start alone to get it enough compression.

I'm gonna have to find a way (hookup the wiring harness mess to the starter & battery) or do the ol power drill/turn the crank method. Keep you updated. Thanks.

BAYOU220-TIMING-SPARK.jpg

• Like 1

Well you see the thing is, if it fires every time the crank turns, it's going to be sparking at tdc on compression, and also at tdc when the exhaust valve is just closing and the inlet is just starting to open.. right ? And that would/could cause backfiring out the inlet..  So that thing is probably set up in it's electronics to only fire every second turn, and perhaps that's your problem, and what I was trying to ascertain with all that turning back and forwards..  Try and check somehow that the spark really is happening at tdc(or a bit before), on the compression stroke...

Snap !

• Like 1

And the compression you have should be enough to get it going..  Engines will start and run down to about 80 lbs..  60.. probably not or only with a real fast spin or tow.

If you don't grind valves it's always a good idea to tip the head upside down and fill the combustion chamber with petrol and it should stay in there.. if petrol leaks out the valves need a grind..  Simple check for next time..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

SOLVED:

Actually feel silly for saying this. Turns out I just hadn't turned it over enough to build compression. Only 1 or 2 pulls of the pull start didn't cut it.

Hooked up a car battery directly to the starter....cranked it hard for 10 seconds...and there you go. 

Just pulled started it for good measure too. First pull...fired right up. 

Edited by 92BayouB

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Sha35297
      So, I got this 07' Polaris Outlaw 90 in the shop to rebuild top end and transmission. Replaced all bearings and gears in the transmission. Replaced cylinder and piston with brand new parts. Put the engine back on the frame and fired it up. Started great, but had a taping sound in the lower crank case. pulled the flywheel cover off and found the flywheel was wobbling and hitting the stator. I then replaced the stator and flywheel with brand new parts. Timing is all set on the timing marks now, but when I turn it over it kicks back when it fires and ends up stripping the starter idler gear. I've replaced the starter gear once already and now have to replace it again. Is it possible that the timing marks on the flywheel are off or maybe this flywheel is not for this exact model? Thinking of advancing the timing to try it, but don't want to keep going through idler gears.
    • By Randel1
      I'm having a problem getting a CDI unit that works. The parts list calls for a  4XE-85540-00-00 CDI unit. The one currently on the ATV works but there seems to be a problem with the spark advance curve. It will idle fine an rev. to about 1.5K then  starts bogging down sputtering, popping and basically running poorly. If you can get it above 2200 RPM it runs better. I have ordered and returned about 5 replacement modules that will not work at all. The unit currently on the bike has no part numbers or identification other than a Mitisibuchi logo. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems with replacement CDI's and if so what is the fix? So far I have not found a replacement CDI that will supply an pulse to the Ignition coil.
    • By Brent Mason
      I have been trying to get my Griz600 running right for 3 weeks ! Grandsons used it and it quit running , no spark ! New stator etc and started but ran terrible ! Found a burnt capacitor on cdi . Installed used cdi and burnt it also but ran same as other cdi . Came to conclusion wire harness had short so stripped it and found some bad spots fixed and another cdi ran terrible again ! Bought another harness and same rough running ! Checked spark timing with light (put tdc mark on case and on pull start hub) and when it starts timing right on but will jump 25+° retard ! When timing is on tdc marks it has no power ! The stator is new but I am wondering if the pickup coil is triggering incorrectly ? Also had top end apart when I first started having trouble and although rings were good I installed new rings . Also new timing chain and check the valves , they were good also . It kind of seems to boil down to the last stator I installed new ? I have done trouble shooting on quite a few cars , trucks , dirt bikes and ATVs but this is frustrating me ! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas ? Carb was new last yr and I checked it ! I
      IMG_4379.MOV
    • By 1911Neil
      I had a quad fall in my lap a couple weeks ago. The only things I knew about it was it was a Kawasaki Bayou 220, was in pretty rough shape and was free. I couldn't say no to a fun little project. I've been looking a different ATV forums gathering quite a bit of info and decided this was the one I wanted to join.
      Thanks to this forum, I found the VIN under about an inch of mud and cross referenced it to be a '98. It had been sitting outside for at least 5 years and was told it ran when parked, but had no brakes. Squirrels or mice had been chewing on the handlebar controls and it's generally just kind of beat up.
      So far, I've gone through the carb (not near as bad as I expected), freed up the brakes (will probably need new cables), replaced the spark plug, air filter, petcock and put a new battery in it.
      The gas tank had been empty and looked clean so I put some fresh gas in it and tried to crank it today. I got a neutral light, but the starter button did nothing. I tried pull-starting it and it wouldn't fire. I checked the plug and wasn't getting a spark. I started digging and found some potential issues and some definite problems.
      I have a wiring diagram I found on here but it's just a picture or scan out of a book and hard to read. I don't see a reference to a black/yellow wire, which is my first problem.
      First, it that a factory crimp? One of those wired looks like it goes to the connector in the 2nd pic. Is that just a spade lug type connector? I pulled on it with some needle nose pliers but it didn't seem to want to come off. In the 3rd pic, should there be a fourth wire?
      I've read through and bookmarked the threads Andrew Baker and Arizona have going but I figured I needed to start with these obvious issues first. I have lots of pictures, so if there is something else you want to see, just ask. If I don't already have a pic, I'll take one.

• By Tahj
      I am looking to see why my 2005 Grizzly  660 won't crank. I have set the valves but suspect a loose timing chain.
      When working to remove the valve cover I found a "cap tensioner case" - parts #25  - #299 on Babbitts site.
      The  cover seems to bridge the valve cover and the cylinder head. What the hell is it and what surprises will I  find if I remove it?
      Uncharted territory for me.