Quantcast

Yet another 07 Artic cat 400 with no spark!?!

Murph

So i recently acquired an 07 400 auto, paid $1000 and only has 900 miles on it, the thing is in fabulous condition, unfortunately it has had a good bit of work done to it, and everyone loves picking up on an unfinished project. So here is what i've got. It supposedly has a new stator in it (looks like it does), it came with two more, one is worn out, like the tops of the poles are smooth, and the other one looks used, but the flywheel is not harmed. it came with a new cdi box (Procom PE-C-AS/K400-A) not sure if this is compatible or not, but when i plugged it up, i think it may have blown the ign fuse. it came with a new (UP2) voltage regulator. and the spark plug coil is not stock, have the old broken ones, everything works but no spark, it has an new aftermarket left handle switch cluster, also have the old one, and i don't know if it is supposed to have more, but there is only one diod in the fuse box, i have a wiring diagram, as well as all of the manuals, the red green wire At the cdi only has 9 voltes, and the wiring diagram says that it is the "Revers". I live about 30 minutes away from a atv junk yard, so if i can't figure it out, i will just take a day and start swapping stuff untillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll it works, PS. if you had a 00 Polaris 500, and an 07 cat 400, which one would you keep? so far the Polaris is winning, cause i've fixed it, but just curios? here is a question, how many volts should i be getting from the magneto when turning it over, the book says the blue and green wires should have over 5 volts, but doesn't say if thats running or not?  Yes I have tried, swapping the wires the stator wires to revers polarity , he bought OEM and China,   my stator/magneto tests fine accept for voltage the green and blue wires on the four pronged plug, which are said to be magneto trigger wires? One blue/- green/+, and the book says it should be over 5 volts, but is that when it's running, starting, sitting? I get a slight change in volts when turning it over, like .5 .7 volts? ps. this is just a bunch of my comments from the artic chat forum, so i wouldn't have to retype it all. any info  wanted.

It has a new ignition, left switch cluster, stator, starter solenoid, china spark plug coil but no power getting to it, spark plug, cdi,  but i just looked it up and it does not work for this model, it's for 04 05 400's, I have the old one but it makes a constant slight ticking noise(may be the problem). Not an expert on electrical, but am going to learn whatever yall say, so say it right, lol, i know a lot about atv's but this is my first Cat, i know a lot about how they have electrical issues. now i'm a high schooler, that doesn't mean i don't know what im talking about, but try not to use abbreviations, lol haven't learned all of them. but so far i have bought 7 complex  non running atv's and have fixed them all accept this one, and forums have played a big role, so any info will be recorded. thanks, and am looking forward to being apart of this forum!!!!!!

If you don't have the service manual and wiring diagrams, you can get them here for free:

https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Arctic-Cat-ATV-Repair-and-Service-Manuals/

The manual will give you all the information about what voltages are needed for spark and so forth.

I owned this model machine, One thing they are known for is the harness wires rubbing on the frame. I have had several electrical problems with mine because of wire damage.  Strip off the plastics and go over the wire harness carefully. You can get some of that spiral wrap to protect areas of the harness. I did this and it solved the problem.

You may have to open up the harness and inspect the wires to be sure., Using a meter to ohm each wire end to end will be helpful. The schematic will give you all the wire color codes.

I also do know the CDI box shouldn't "tick" so its a good bet it is bad.

Mike

The voltages spec'd are when engine is cranking. Test the voltages with a dva adaptor. Test trigger and pickup coil for dva voltage and resistance, also check if there is resistance to ground with each wire. I have seen several junk new flywheels installed in this engine so be aware.

It's best to check the stator and trigger coils by testing their ohms. A lot of cheap digital meters don't record very short voltage waves such as you get when cranking the engine over. They might show nothing, or give really erratic readings. If you have an old fashioned analog gauge(with a needle), they are better for checking voltage outputs.

It's best to get the book and get the correct ohm or voltage readings, but as a general rule, stators have very low ohms, perhaps one or two at most, and the trigger coils are mostly in the low hundreds, perhaps from about eighty to one fifty ohms. Those are general figures for all makes. Most of the time, if you check there is continuity, and no shorts to earth, and some voltage coming out of the stator and trigger, then you can assume for the time being that they are ok, and go on and look at the other things, such as wiring.

• Like 1

Your 07 arctic cat 400 auto has DC ignition so the trigger coil is what the cdi is looking for  ..  ALSO the Procom PE-C-AS/K400-A when it blows the fuse,  tells you its the wrong one -  if you check the manual for the wiring diagram you will see 12v on your bike is going direct to ground on that cdi as it's wired for a different model  -  you need the correct service manual  with correct pinout on your plug at the cdi  -  this is common,  the trigger coil will have 3+ peak voltage  you will have to find a manual  I  will post the page if able.

I added a pdf on the wiring for the 2007 ,  note check the wire colors on your auto to the pdf  you can rotate and zoom in, that cdi fits the dvx model  I  think,    if you contact the company they will provide the cdi pin out but really they should have provided the correct one.

07 ac 400 auto.pdf

• Like 1