Quantcast

Slipping Clutch on King Quad 300

Valkman

1 hour ago, Mech said:

Valkman... if it runs fine in the wet clutches in your bikes then it will be fine in the wet clutches in your quad...

That is not necessarily true.  The wrong oil can run better in a clutch pack with tighter springs or different fiber composite or different riding style leading to a false sense of security with the choice of oil.

That's like saying if ATF type F runs fine in a ford then it will run fine in a GM or BMW or anything with a wet clutch.

Why do you think there are so many types of ATF?

1 hour ago, Mech said:

If it is definitely bad after an up shift only then it's likely the shift cable.. or linkage wear.

I don't know how you conclude that.  Clutches will slip in higher gears because the power exceeds the friction in the plates.  Shift to lower gear and the problem goes away because the gearing isn't sufficient to present a load greater than the friction of the plates.

I can make a perfectly good clutch slip simply by gunning it right after I shift into a higher gear but before I let off the shifter.  And measuring how long it takes to lock up gives me an idea of how good the clutch is.

1 hour ago, Mech said:

The standard/certification is just a nice assurance for people that can't read/comprehend or think for themselves.

Without a certification I don't know how anyone is expected to know anything about the oil.  One would have to send it off to be tested.

I'd rather argue with someone who knows nothing because at least they can learn, but someone who knows everything is impossible to teach.

Your brand of "help" is a menace to the community.  You advise using the wrong oil, you advise mistreating lithium batteries, you advise valve lapping procedures that were antiquated long ago, and you routinely clutter threads arguing with manufacturer recommendations, service manuals, published research from respected engineering journals, and basic common sense with no substantiation other than "believe me because I'm old."

You need a babysitter to follow you around being sure you don't wreck everyone's machines with your inability to admit that you don't know something.

1 hour ago, basmn said:

we all have opinions.  Right or wrong who cares...just ignore the ones you don't like and enjoy the ones you do.

If I had come on here asking about oil and someone leveraged their post count/reputation to convince me to use the wrong oil I'd be pissed after discovering the truth and then having to tear it back down and clean/replace clutch plates at my own expense.

If I had come on here with engine problems and was advised to lap a new valve into an old seat and then the new valve failed, requiring me to tear it back down and do it right at my own expense, I'd be pissed.

Same with expensive lithium batteries.

And the guy with the bad regulator Mech had him chasing his tail wasting money on new CDIs and who know what all would have happened if I didn't come along telling him about the known issue with regulators.  Then, rather than thanking me for expanding his knowledge base, he spent the rest of the thread arguing with me about further "tests" without specifying what tests.  He just wanted to argue because he can't stand being wrong about anything.

Now you suggest his consistent bad advice should be condoned because getting along is more important?   "Feels" over "Facts"?

If bad advice is sanctioned on the basis of differing opinions then I don't know what the purpose of the forum is.  We may as well talk about sports where opinions are opinions rather than demonstrable facts and let people solve their own mechanical problems because no advice is better than bad advice.

Valkman. I hope you get your issue sorted. Be ware of misleading  advice..read between the lines, use common sense and research. Forums are known to attract honest knowledgeable,  experienced people and of coarse dick heads ..choose wisely and good luck.

Unsubscribed

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, basmn said:

Valkman. I hope you get your issue sorted. Be ware of misleading  advice..read between the lines, use common sense and research. Forums are known to attract honest knowledgeable,  experienced people and of coarse dick heads ..choose wisely and good luck.

Unsubscribed

I know what you mean , opinion are like a$$ holes:spinny:.  Don't get me wrong this thread has been very informative and I greatly appreciated everyone's input,  but unfortunately sometimes when you ask a question some of these forums,  you might 2 helpful post out 20 post because everyone has to prove they're right!  Not to piss anyone off, but when someone give me advice I can decide how take it. So please tell me opinion,  and let other people give there's as well, with bashing them.

Thank you 

Edited by Valkman

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, thought I'd give you all an update.  Using some of Mech advice,  I determine it was indeed the clutch pack. I replaced and all is good! One thing of note though, there in a washer between the clutch basket and the backing plate for the clutch disk that didn't realize that was there, and it was out of place when I installed it. The washer then tore up the basket an the backing plate, so I had to pull it all apart again and I installed new replacement basket and plate. Oh wellI hope someone  learns from my mistake :cute:

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Edited by Valkman

Glad you got it sorted.  Well done. Perseverance always wins, giving up never does.

Always take things apart very carefully Valkman, and lay them out in order and direction of removal, that is, lay all the inner sides(or outer) downwards on the bench, and in their order.

It's never a good idea to just "rip things apart"(not saying you did), because we overlook indications of what went wrong(for one thing), and we too easily forget which way they came apart.

Take every part off one at a time, inspect it, and lay it out carefully..