Quantcast

2000 Big Bear pulls to the left

mga

Brought it in the garage yesterday because i was bored. Jacked the front end up and removed the left wheel. I checked everything i could see  to find why that camber is off so much. 

I posted the wrong angle of the wheel, it's actually out at the top, not the bottom. I compared the old A arm to the one i replaced, they're the same. I compared the hub to the one i replaced, they're the same...$160 for nothing. I looked at the frame from underneath, i could not find any significant bending. It's like either tho top A arm need to be shorter, or the bottom A arm longer. I know i'm missing something..... 

the wheel sits like this: "/".  not that extreme, but you get the picture.  This is really taxing my OCD to fix this! Being a former toolmaker and machine repairman, this bothers me. 🙂 The damn thing starts and runs great, except for that wheel.  I'll have to look at how the impact of what they hit changed something there. So, i'll bring it back in and continue to look for a cause. It has to be something with the frame, since i replaced everything else.

i believe i found the problem....ugh...the frame has a slight bend to it on the side that was hit. I took measurements from the rear of the frame on both sides, using the lower A frame as my focal point. I found the left side is off by a little over 1/2" to less than 3/4".  That's telling me the bend in the frame is what's throwing my camber off.

I took a picture of the bend. The normal bend is on the left side of the picture, the right side shows a sharper bend, which makes sense since that was the side that was struck.

I'm not sure how it would even be possible to straighten that out. I don't have the tools for that kind of work. You can see the right side is bent in. I'd hate to sell it because I'd have to tell any buyers the frame is bent. Somehow i'll have to deal with it. 

I'm wondering if i could make different mounting brackets for the lower A arm so that it would be in the correct position...(.thinking out loud here) I need to move it forward about 3/4". That theoretically should solve my camber problem.

IMG_4072.jpg.7f1b8492e7acf2117c12551be48193ed.jpg

Chain it to a tree and use a chain block to haul the bend out. Blocks of wood under it and big levers..  It'll bend.

To fix camber you need to move the bottom arm out, not forward.. Moving it forwards' going to effect the caster.

Edited by Mech
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

That really took a massive hit, it appears to be pushed up on the right side

it might be the way i was holding my phone...i was on my back upside down taking that picture.  But, i'll double check and see if it is higher. I'm getting frustrated with this damn machine!

Edited by mga

16 hours ago, Mech said:

Chain it to a tree and use a chain block to haul the bend out. Blocks of wood under it and big levers..  It'll bend.

To fix camber you need to move the bottom arm out, not forward.. Moving it forwards' going to effect the caster.

i was thinking of doing that. i've done that with trailer frames that were bent. I think i'd need two trees. One to hold the good side and one to pull the bad side out. At this point, what do i have to lose...right?

seems like i'm not the only one. I searched Youtube and watched a few videos of fixing bent ATV frames. The best one was they stood it up on it's rear, cut the frame and pushed the front side upwards until it would be in the correct position, then they welded a piece of tubing to the frame to make up the difference.  Nice idea, but, i'll have to get a welder first, or someone around here who knows how to weld.

My other option is a porta-power to force it back out.

My last option is the tree idea....which is what i'd probably do anyways with a 4 ton come-along.  ha ha

Edited by mga

Yes please don't cut it if frame is bent as such when you cut the metal will try to go back to it original form as most metal will because of memory of metal tube ,could heat with torch back and forth to release structure bend a little bit with the pull of chain block to solid structure of sorts ,yes cutting will be a whole big can of worms you don't won't.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i took a measurement from the rear axle nut to the front axle nut. The Right side measured something like 47", the left side (the bad side) was about 45 3/4". So, that bend in the frame pushed the wheel back maybe that far. If i can make up at least 1 inch of that i'll be happy. I still have to figure out why the right wheel's camber is so far off. (maybe the frame twisted?)

But, i also feel the lower A frame mounts might be off a little too. So far by playing with the idler arm, i got it to run fairly straight and it's not pulling to the left as hard.

This will be my winter project when i can strip it down, stand it up on it's rear and take some measurements before i pull on the frame.

I have revisited your photo of the bent frame, I have been thinking about what I would do in your situation, their are places that specialize in frame straightening, I wouldn't do that personally only because im cheap, plus you can sink a lot of money into old bikes in a hurry. I would probably use the 2 tree method with either a winch or com along, put some tension on it, put some heat on it  but not so much it will damage anything, then us a big hammer. Im not really sure how much tension it will need so a comalong and big chain might be better option. Don't want the small winch cable to snap when you are close by.  

• Like 1