Quantcast

Aftermarket vs OEM Carburetor Comparison

Go to solution Solved by Gwbarm,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I bought my Suzuki Eiger, it was running poorly, I knew that when I bought it, it had an after market carb on it, I just took it off, and replaced it with another aftermarket, it ran much better, this was in August, ran it some not a lot, went to start it a couple of months ago and it started fine, fired right up, idled fine, but when I started to take off it stumbled bucked and really didn't want to take throttle. Im not blaming it on the Carb just yet, I know it has a bad vacuum petcock, it will run for about a minute in the run position and die, so I have been running it in the prime position and it has been doing OK until now. Just for my own piece of mind I bought a used OEM carb off eBay to rebuild and put on it. Ill see how that works out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rebuilding a carb is generally cheaper and not very difficult. One thing to remember whether you are Rebuilding or cleaning a carb is never force anything through a jet. Doing so will increase the size of the jet opening. Causing the jet to release more fuel than intended. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chinese carbs have gotten a bad rep, and thats because people like me get a bad one and complain, but recently i have gotten one that is OK, it does not compare to OEM but most people wouldnt notice it , i do, they are many good ones out there, but the trick is finding them. The best way is from word of mouth from people who has used them, or at least get one that has a company brand. If they go to the trouble of putting their name on it thats a plus.  I have always been impressed with the build quality, but the jetting is wrong, wheather it is fuel jets to air jets ratio, im not really sure.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2024 at 6:56 PM, Gwbarm said:

Chinese carbs have gotten a bad rep, and thats because people like me get a bad one and complain, but recently i have gotten one that is OK, it does not compare to OEM but most people wouldnt notice it , i do, they are many good ones out there, but the trick is finding them. The best way is from word of mouth from people who has used them, or at least get one that has a company brand. If they go to the trouble of putting their name on it thats a plus.  I have always been impressed with the build quality, but the jetting is wrong, wheather it is fuel jets to air jets ratio, im not really sure.

This is my experience as well. They come with incorrect jets and an improperly adjusted float level for the named application.  They seem to do fine once you manage to get them dialed in properly and install proper Mikuni jets.

Sometimes the chinese carbs are our only options unfortunately. 

I have had mixed luck. On a kodiak the previous owner put one on and then sold the machine because it ran so bad. I tried everything I could think of to get it to run right and never did. Found a used OEM and problem solved. 

Swapping jets and setting the float is minimum. Seems like they never cold start or choke right either. 

have gotten carbs where air passages were never drilled. Total fail. 

Seems like on lawnmowers they work much better. Not perfect but same scenario, OEM is just not available new or used so you have to make something work. 

I was fighting random problems with a 300 bayou. Bought a chinese carb just as a process of elimination. Ran pretty decent. So I swapped jets and been running it ever since. 

3 hours ago, Tiha said:

Sometimes the chinese carbs are our only options unfortunately. 

I have had mixed luck. On a kodiak the previous owner put one on and then sold the machine because it ran so bad. I tried everything I could think of to get it to run right and never did. Found a used OEM and problem solved. 

Swapping jets and setting the float is minimum. Seems like they never cold start or choke right either. 

have gotten carbs where air passages were never drilled. Total fail. 

Seems like on lawnmowers they work much better. Not perfect but same scenario, OEM is just not available new or used so you have to make something work. 

I was fighting random problems with a 300 bayou. Bought a chinese carb just as a process of elimination. Ran pretty decent. So I swapped jets and been running it ever since. 

It took a lot of work and rejetting but I've managed to get the Motoku clone carb running pretty damn good on my Quadrunner 250.  Part of the idle problem I was fighting ended up being a fuel pump issue, there was no fuel in the vacuum line but I think there was a pinhole leak in the diaphram. After replacing it I no longer have issues with it stalling every time at idle when warm.

• 1 month later...