Quantcast

Maintenance Items on King Quad 300

jatho

I'm relatively new to the King Quad 300's, what sort of things should I be servicing/checking every year or so to ensure the bike continues to run smoothly? i.e when the bikes in for an oil change what sort of things should I check over at the same time. 

I would change oil and filter , check front and rear diff fluid, inspect bike undercarriage for any obvious problems, check for loose suspension bolts. Check the spark plug to see how it running light tan is optimal, black is flooding, and shiny black is oil burning. Check for carbon buildup on the plug, replace if necessary. Check valve adjustment. 

Make sure the suspension bush bolts are tight and keep an eye on them. Perhaps even pull them out and grease them straight away. They seize in the bushes and then wear in the frame mounts till they are a major problem to get out and repair.

The service manual will have recommendations about what to service and how often, but Gw's covered most of the common stuff.. oils, airfilter, adjust the clutch..

I'd recommend leaving the valve adjustment alone unless you suspect you need to adjust them, they are mongrols for self adjusting after being adjusted unless you get them just right, and just right is not what you get just using a feeler and doing them as per the book. Once they are right, they stay the same and go for years. If they aren't noisy, and the bikes got good compression with the pull start, I'd leave them be.

Mines a 1991 and Ive had it for over 10 years and put 3000 hard miles on her. Besides changing the oil once a year there hasn't been much to go wrong. The valves got tight and I had trouble starting it cold last year so I adjusted them. Also the carb had a weird issue I've never seen before where the inside started leaking gas. The actual piece of the carb that the needle sits in started leaking and I could only tell if I looked in the carb with a flashlight while the bike was running. I bought a cheap chinese carb and the bike wouldnt run with it so I took the center piece out of that carb and cut it with a dremel to fit into my oem carb and it worked like new. Also just this summer the valve seals started leaking. I only use her to plow in the winter now so I'll replace those come fall. That's all the issues I've had and the wheeler has over 4500 miles.

If bike is older CHK to make sure your frame is solid, especially around joints ,have seen some that looked ok but had gotten water inside of frame and rotted itself from inside out. Most likely from owner putting it intentionally in water all the time thinking it's a boat. 

• 4 weeks later...