Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

kfx450r

Diagnose my problem please!

Well, i'll start by listing a few experiences. Went to ride at a friends house..the bike was ran hard, and it was letting off a weird smell when it stopped, my friends dad said it smelled like asbestos or w/e and it was either the clutch or the breaks.

The next day I hit another riding spot, was dragging and my bike seemed to lose power and just stopped when i shifted from 3rd to 4th, but i went to drag just fine the rest of the day.

Soo could my clutch be slipping or something? And what in the world is that smell.. Also my bike seems to get stuck in neutral ALL the time..never when its not running but when im just riding and go from 1st to 2nd it always gets stuck in neutral..like to click to neutral u have to pull the shifter lever all the way up unlike all the other gears where its in the middle.

Sound like the clutch is burning up to me, that would be the smell. :yes:

I'm thinking clutch, what on earth did you do? I've run mine hard for over a year and not a single problem.

..I ride hard :wink:

No but seriously lol i have no idea wtf I did..but i think your right..the clutch could be burning up even tho i have no idea what that means..but it could also be the break..Im not letting that go but i would think its the clutch.. Hows your neutral bot? do you often hit neutral going from 1st to 2nd?

Yeah, I hit neutral some times. That's because of my shifter placement. No funny smells. How's your clutch cable. My friend actually had his set to tight one time and it caused the clutch to be engaged. Not enough to notice when riding but enough to burn his clutch up.

i dont see how u would burn a new quads clutch unless you were riding the clutch or u had the clutch cable adjusted to tight, make sure u have a little play on the clutch arm on the motor, like 1/4 of in inch is ok. if u have no freeplay in the cable that would cause the prussure plate NOT to close all the way causing the clutch plates to slip. that smale was your friction plates. i dont see the basket being grooved because u just got your quad so the basket shuld be fine but i would check it anway just to make sure it aint.

i dont see how u would burn a new quads clutch unless you were riding the clutch or u had the clutch cable adjusted to tight, make sure u have a little play on the clutch arm on the motor, like 1/4 of in inch is ok. if u have no freeplay in the cable that would cause the prussure plate NOT to close all the way causing the clutch plates to slip. that smale was your friction plates. i dont see the basket being grooved because u just got your quad so the basket shuld be fine but i would check it anway just to make sure it aint.

Ok, thanks for all the posts but im so confused..so what do you guys suggest I adjust to fix the problem? Or what should I do

Well, i'll start by listing a few experiences. Went to ride at a friends house..the bike was ran hard, and it was letting off a weird smell when it stopped, my friends dad said it smelled like asbestos or w/e and it was either the clutch or the breaks.

The next day I hit another riding spot, was dragging and my bike seemed to lose power and just stopped when i shifted from 3rd to 4th, but i went to drag just fine the rest of the day.

Soo could my clutch be slipping or something? And what in the world is that smell.. Also my bike seems to get stuck in neutral ALL the time..never when its not running but when im just riding and go from 1st to 2nd it always gets stuck in neutral..like to click to neutral u have to pull the shifter lever all the way up unlike all the other gears where its in the middle.

geez and i thought i was a quad killer:rolleyes:

How is your clutch cable? Do you have any play in clutch lever?

The clutch lever on my handle bars isnt too tight.I can probly pull it in a good half inch to an inch before it gets tight.if you know what i mean.

Ok well i just figured out my clutch is slipping..pretty damn gay 4 weeks old..I went on the street cruised in 4th and 5th, pinned it and it lost some power before it starting going again.

it mustve been installed incorrectly or a defect in the part. because ur stock clutch should last a couple years at the least. i would make them cover it.

it mustve been installed incorrectly or a defect in the part. because ur stock clutch should last a couple years at the least. i would make them cover it.

I talked to the dealer they said its not covered by warranty..to replace it that is..and i think it kinda is my fault..I mean I never RIDE the clutch but i do ride it to take off..which usually lasts a few seconds..which ive heard is too long..and i ride the clutch all the way into my truck to load it so ..Im just ordering a new clutch for it, friends gonna help me put it in along with my pipe and jets etc. and I'll change my riding habits. Can anyone recommend a good clutch kit for me to buy?

Try sending an Email to Honda. Your dealer won't help.

Thats alot of hassle tho, and they clearly said the warranty wouldnt cover to replace it..and sounds kinda believable because the clutch going out is due to mostly the rider..I guess i just F'd up. Imma just get a good heavy duty clutch kit now since it isnt that expensive..and my friend can install it. Even if the dealer did replace mine..warranty doesnt cover the labor..here atleast, and tis 70$ an hour, so why go back to stock replacement?

Thats alot of hassle tho, and they clearly said the warranty wouldnt cover to replace it..and sounds kinda believable because the clutch going out is due to mostly the rider..I guess i just F'd up. Imma just get a good heavy duty clutch kit now since it isnt that expensive..and my friend can install it. Even if the dealer did replace mine..warranty doesnt cover the labor..here atleast, and tis 70$ an hour, so why go back to stock replacement?

get a Hinson clutch if you dont mind spendin the extra $$$$$

I had a buddy with a a Suzuki DR350, his clutch went out after a month and a half. Dealer was no help. He got a hold of Suzuki and they sent a rep to him. He personally checked it out and Suzuki rebuilt his whole tranny.

I had a buddy with a a Suzuki DR350, his clutch went out after a month and a half. Dealer was no help. He got a hold of Suzuki and they sent a rep to him. He personally checked it out and Suzuki rebuilt his whole tranny.

I like to ride my bike everyweekend..and Im getting a new pipe early next week..I couldnt stand to have my bike out while they rebuilt anything..Im pretty sure its just the way i rode..like i said I ride the clutch everytime i load it, the whole time, and i think i ride it too long when i take off. Im just going to replace it with a Sparks Heavy Duty Clutch Kit i think or a EBC..there good and pretty cheap, dont wanna drop like 600+ on a hinson lol EDIT: I dont wanna spend 900+ on a hinson lol

I like to ride my bike everyweekend..and Im getting a new pipe early next week..I couldnt stand to have my bike out while they rebuilt anything..Im pretty sure its just the way i rode..like i said I ride the clutch everytime i load it, the whole time, and i think i ride it too long when i take off. Im just going to replace it with a Sparks Heavy Duty Clutch Kit i think or a EBC..there good and pretty cheap, dont wanna drop like 600+ on a hinson lol EDIT: I dont wanna spend 900+ on a hinson lol

Jus given suggestions bud :laugh:

Learn to let go of the clutch sooner! Riding styles

Will definatly fix that but ..i cant see how my bike would ever be able to be ridden up the ramps without riding the clutch..it always dies..