Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

86 Suzuki LT230 Quad Sport backfire / jetting

ttomkat510

One thing to watch out for on a used machine is you can't go by what number size jet is in it now, If some gorilla used a torch tip cleaner to clean that jet in the last 22 years its way over jetted now. sometimes just getting a new jet that is actually what it says it is will cure the problem.

Proper jetting takes patience and some trial and error. Each machine is different so even the pros are just guessing, Educated guesses but still a guess for the most part.

Internet mechanicin is easy,....If I screw up I just log off, Fine tuning is most definitely "Hands On":biggrin:

i have a 86 lt230 quadsport with a D.G pipe on it, i got it used a couple of months ago. the bike will backfire out the pipe when you let off the throttle, like a flame!!!! it show by the plow it be running rich, any help on what jet and what size jet to go up to?????its a stock carb. thanxs

Ok,,,,,So you got this thing and Started riding it and it was Backfiring....

When you looked at the plug was it right after you were idling it???

stock carb with stock jets, i know because i just but a rebuilt kit in it, we are lets say 220. feet about sea level, i did a plug test and it came out black and wet, so i think it running rich. if that help any????

So Since Acquiring this 2 months ago and Since opening this Thread you Rebuilt the carb yourself with a stock rebuild kit....Did you put the Stock Exhaust on????

You Say you did a Plug Chop ,,,,, But I need to know HOW you did a plug Chop....

Did you Start With a NEW PLUG?

I would assume with a Plug as you Described it would be a little hard to start???? I think I would start with a Pilot Jet/Air Screw and work my way up to full throttle....Your pilot jet (or slow jet) controls the idle circuit,,, or from zero to one-quarter throttle opening.... The pilot jet and air screw control the amount of fuel and air going into the engine at slow engine speeds.... It's very important to tune these circuits because they control throttle response and starting.. .The pilot circuit has a major affect on how well your Bike starts

No Disrespect,,,But its upsetting that you have probably 60 (Maybe more cause Raptor8 is a Marvel Of Longevity) or so Yrs of Carb Knowledge talking to you and we could tell you all the Tricks but you probably still wont get it Dialed in.....

Please try to answer ALL the questions in your next post.....

Thanks,,,,,

Oh,,,,,Sorry Bot.....I have Spewed worthless info in a Thread once again.....Maybe our new mod can clean my mess up.....LMAO!!! Give him a chance to work his magic...:yes:

Edited by mywifeknowseverythin

dont act like your god or something mr my wife knows everything,i thought forums were to help people out, just because you have 60 years good for you, you most not have lots of time for anything else or someone else walked you trough that 60 years, not eveyone is as smart as you, cause your GOD when it come to quads or you most just know everything, but if you need to know about me, i got the quad 2 months ago, i leaved in NY city my whole life, not many places to ride but in the street, its hard to ride a quad up 5 th ave, so when i would visit my friends upsate they had trikes and quad so i learned to ride alittle bit, now i move to CT and bought a quad, a starter bike. the bike is in good shape, just having the backfire problem, i dont have the stock pipe for it, i did the plug test with a new plug, run it in 5 gear wide open, turned it off and coasted home, pulled plug and it showing moist black, running rich, stock carb, sock jets, now can you help me mr. GOD that you must be, and by the way if you can read, then read this:

The ATV Mechanics Corner Is it broken? Do you need some help with your atv? Try to get the fix in here

dont act like your god or something mr my wife knows everything,i thought forums were to help people out, just because you have 60 years good for you, you most not have lots of time for anything else or someone else walked you trough that 60 years, not eveyone is as smart as you, cause your GOD when it come to quads or you most just know everything, but if you need to know about me, i got the quad 2 months ago, i leaved in NY city my whole life, not many places to ride but in the street, its hard to ride a quad up 5 th ave, so when i would visit my friends upsate they had trikes and quad so i learned to ride alittle bit, now i move to CT and bought a quad, a starter bike. the bike is in good shape, just having the backfire problem, i dont have the stock pipe for it, i did the plug test with a new plug, run it in 5 gear wide open, turned it off and coasted home, pulled plug and it showing moist black, running rich, stock carb, sock jets, now can you help me mr. GOD that you must be, and by the way if you can read, then read this:

The ATV Mechanics Corner Is it broken? Do you need some help with your atv? Try to get the fix in here

Listen dude......It wasnt meant to be disrespectful....I think I even Posted those same words..

No Disrespect,,,But its upsetting that you have probably 60 (Maybe more cause Raptor8 is a Marvel Of Longevity) or so Yrs of Carb Knowledge talking to you and we could tell you all the Tricks but you probably still wont get it Dialed in.....

Now tell me where in that I say that or Implied that I was God???? There is no way that I have 60 yrs.....Its the "Group" as a whole that is trying to help you does.....Next time take a Freaking second to let what you read soak in before your Fingers Burn up the Keyboard....

We aren't Armchair racers here.....Keyboard Quarterbacks or the like.....I was only trying to express my Frustration by not being able to be Hands On with your problem...And it is true.....You probably wont get it right..Too many Variables to be handled over the net....

Good luck to ya.....

Let's all try to settle down, we are trying to help you. Jetting is one of the most difficult things to do over the net. One option that might be able to get you as close as possible would be to contact DG. This info is straight off of DG's website.

I bought a DG exhaust. Should I re-jet my carburetor?

A: For jetting, we recommend increasing your main jet one size richer. However, this is a basic rule. Once the exhaust is installed and the bike is ridden initially- you should check the spark plug color. The easiest way to check if jetting is accurate is by pulling a spark plug. If the spark plug is white, the bike is running too lean. If the spark plug is black or wet, the bike is running too rich. Ideally, you want to see a light golden brown. Your local dealer generally carries those jets in stock.

With a more free flowing exhaust the stock jets should be giving you a lean burn not rich. So with that I would rule out all other causes before you go pulling the carb. a dozen times. The first things you should ALWAYS do is check your basics, Are the valves adjusted right, Is the air filter clean and unobstructed (a mouse nest up in the snorkel tube?) How is the compression? Also the diaphram on the slide could have a pin hole. A sticky choke cable or non-seating enrichment valve will also get you chasing your tail.:wink:

One more thing would be to inspect the packing in the exhaust to see that it is not saturated with fuel/oil or something else that may be cause more back pressure.

Edited by Ibrokeit
added

An aftermarket pipe on that model of Suzuki will have the most severe problem of backfiring you have ever seen. First off buy a complete jet kit. Most come with a chart to give you an idea where to start. You will have to play around with it to get the right jetting. I owned one back in '85. That's how we done it back then.

P.S. Personally I had better luck with a Cobra pipe , than DG, or White Brothers pipe. But again that was back in the day.

Edited by BuckBilly

I think what they told you is right all the way.

Buy a book or go online and find a parts manual- see what size jet is stock- you sahould go bigger of course with a pipe.

Did you try calling DG and see what they say since it is their pipe? They may be able to tell you what to buy.

You might try dropping the needle one step and installing a NEW spark plug. watch it closely tho! make sure air filter is clean of course.

let us know how it goes!

Hang in there, the bunch of us will get you close! Itis a guessing game even when it is right in front of you.

If BuckBilly OWNED one, thewn he is the man to listen to first- there is no substitute for hands-on experience.

Edited by Raptor8

• 8 months later...