Spooge

Question about shocks

I recently took the shocks (3) off of my Honda Recon to paint the springs. But Ive been thinking of getting different shocks, I want to buy take-offs (from another quad) that are longer or smoother shocks....

Im thinking that any shock would mount, right?

the recons shocks are about 13.5" in the front and 15.5" in the rear...

Where can I find the lengths of different shocks? which ones are smoothest? any recomendations?

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

How about 250 EX shocks???????What kind of ride are you looking for? Smooth will be hard to do for a short wheelbase quad.

The recon shocks are some of the least smooth already, how do 250ex ones ride?

If anything I would want shocks that are an inch or two longer

The recon shocks are some of the least smooth already, how do 250ex ones ride?

If anything I would want shocks that are an inch or two longer

You will need custom aftermarfet shocks for a smoother ride. You have one of the shortest quads out there, thats why you have a harsh ride. Honda Rancher is a longer wheel base , smoother ride than the Recon. What air pressure do you run in your tires?

How long are Rancher shocks? I want to get longer shocks than I have now (13.5" front, 15.5" rear)

the longer the shocks r the more the shock will be compressed which would make a striff ride

You will need custom aftermarfet shocks for a smoother ride. You have one of the shortest quads out there, thats why you have a harsh ride. Honda Rancher is a longer wheel base , smoother ride than the Recon. What air pressure do you run in your tires?
Reread the above please. Longer shocks will Not help. Custom adjustable shocks might help. I run 7 psi to 10 psi in the winter and 5psi to 7 psi in the summer. Do not go below 3 psi on stock Recon tires. That's what I do with our 07.

Longer shocks wont do anything with stock ride height I'd think they would just bottom out faster.

im kinda confused y do u want longer shocks? do u want longer shocks or a softer ride cause u cant have both and i agree with sparrows also

Yeah longer shocks won't help, if anything they will make it stiffer. Maybe some adjustable compression shocks. You could just run less air pressure in your tires and lower the ply.

Maybe get a budget lift, if they even make one for you quad, Or you can fab one yourself or have someone do it for you. then you can get longer shocks, or just do what everyone is saying with adjustable.

ok ok ok... forget the words "smooth ride" pretend I never even mentioned it.

I want longer shocks for higher ride height.... LIFT

I want shocks that will mount on my recon that are longer

I don't think just shocks would lift it.. that's not how a lift works.

Ive looked at a 2 inch lift. All it is is relocation type thing, longer brackets that reuse the stock socks. I was thinking longer shocks (1-2") would do the same thing

No, i don't think it will. you'll be higher but narrow. and probably really crappy ride. lol so 2 inch lift, shocks? maybe idk.

Come to think of it, Ive seen a 2 inch lift for $60.. thats gotta be a lot cheaper than a set of shocks (maybe not used?)

Shocks used would be a good deal, lift kit for 60 bucks, priceless hahhaha

Lift kit is the best way to go. A longer shock lets assume off a bigger utility quad might have to much rebound and make your quad dangerous. Because lets say you get used shocks off a 600 lbs Honda Ruby , your Recon is say 406 lbs. 194lbs difference could cause it to rebound bounce of control.

Likft kit would be a cheaper and better way to do it. Now for the negative. Will make it top heavy and will put more wear and tear on the shaft drive. You change driveline angle and it puts alot of extra stress on it.

Also do you plan on larger tires?

I would like to get larger tires... but not very just a few inches. I have 22s now (stock) and wouldnt go larger than 25 but Id really like 23/24s with a more aggressive tread, or maybe the same size with more aggressive tread so I dont have to deal with the disadvantages of a larger tire...

How much extra stress would a 2" lift really add?

I would like to get larger tires... but not very just a few inches. I have 22s now (stock) and wouldnt go larger than 25 but Id really like 23/24s with a more aggressive tread, or maybe the same size with more aggressive tread so I dont have to deal with the disadvantages of a larger tire...

How much extra stress would a 2" lift really add?

First I recomend 23 inchers and no lift. The Recon gets a lot of stress on the diveline , because of the steep angle drive shaft.

gallery_9579_11_37666.jpg

Heres my 07 with the 23x8x12 an 23x10x12 swampfoxs on it. No rubbing anywhere on it. No lift kit on it either.

The red one is a Recon, I pulled this off the Honda Foreman website.

That looks frickin sweet!!!

how much would a set of blingy wheels like that with 23's cost me?

That looks frickin sweet!!!

how much would a set of blingy wheels like that with 23's cost me?

Check websites and look around . Depends what you want on how much it cost. Plain jane $200 bucks to fancy only God knows how much.

hhhhmmmmmm, Im thinking this is the direction I want to go in but if a set costs around $500 (what Ive seen) I might as well sell my quad and throw in another $500 for a 4x4... hmmm