Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Which quad should I get?

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum, and new to riding. Here is what happened, I just started riding with my friends last summer, Using their machines to get an idea of what i want, but i am more confused than ever. Here is what I have been on and my feelings about them Raptor 660, speed and tourqe feel good and controlable but the thing handles like a brink very top heavy. Yzf 450 This thing is insane fast, honestly way to fast for me the throttle is like an on off switch, handles incredibly very balanced. honda 300ex way to slow factory tires make it handle poorly. I have also road some dirtbikes mainly ktm 200 2 stroke. I like the feel of a 2 stroke motor, I do however like the reliability of a 4 stroke. Im not looking to spend a ton on a quad but I want to have fun I dont want to be bored and not keeping up with my firends. Oh I had road a utility quad, and hated every minute of it except the thing keeps you really dry when the tracks are flooded. Help we ride train tracks flat ground, woops, and trails. Every dealer I go to just wants me to buy their brand and doesnt give informative help just trying to sell me a quad.

Welcome to the site!

You should check out the 400 class or even the Raptor 700.

The Raptor 660s feel very tippy but the 700 feels much more stable and has very manageable power band. The 400s, there is the 400EX from Honda, probably the slower of the 400s but arguably the best trail quad of all time. The Z400 from Suzuki and the KFX400 from Kawasaki are both great machine too.

With your riding exp I would recommend a 400EX. They are a very solid machine and in time it can be built to go as fast as the 450s. So when you get to the point when you want more speed, and it will come, the 400 is very capable.

No problem!!!

You can find some great deals on a 400EX and they run forever.

I TOTALLY agree with Bot...maybe it's cause I own a 400EX...Mine is a 2000 model, I race it...I keep up with people in the woods just fine...depending on what they're riding they can sometimes get me in the fields...

Whats great about the 400ex is it's been around for so long that you can get almost anything for it to soup it up and make it yours....

Let us know what you're goin to get!! Check out eBay...some dealers are sellin left over models for under 4000!!

Is it smarter to buy a used 400ex or 250. From what I have read they feel similar and the 250r would handle better because of its lighter weight . I also have read that It is a lot more maintnence to upkeep a 2 stroke.

The EX is going to be more versitile in that you can ride it fast or you can ride it slow. Like Stoopidbot said, you have to keep them on the pipe, or you will load up and foul plugs. As far as maintenance goes, the EX may go longer before it needs any thing, but the 250R will cost less in parts as it has no timing chain, no cams and no valves. Both are great bikes IMO.

Well I gotta wait for my tax return to come in then Im going to look for the honda 400ex, I have also started looking at the suzuki ltz400 but my friend said suzukis are not the best machines they break down a lot. I cant really see this since they have been making them for so long I mean quality control guys must get fired for doing things wrong ( or maybe thats just the way I think).

I looked at some of those chinese made atvs they are crap inside and out. which quad has a lower center of gravity the 400ex or the ltz400 I want something that handles really great for woops and trails Im in New jersey so not to rocky plus the trails are very visible and upkept well. Oh does anyone in this ride in nj my buddies and I are always looking for more people to ride with. ( responsible only no wheelies across or down roads, keep it quiet around houses it is illegal where we ride and the cops dont give us grief because me make every effor not to be obnoxious)

I am with Bot I don't think you can go wrong with any of the name brands Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki all make 400 class machines. The Suzuki and Kawasaki motors are both made by Suzuki and it is very good quality machines not that the Honda is not I was just replying to what you said about Suzukis breaking down.

Thats is the opinion I am starting to get from most so its gonna be a 400. The only reason I like the idea of the 250r is weight. The lighter the machine the easier it is to throw around in the trails but we do take it slow every now and then so I dont feel like changing plugs in the middle of the woods, plus if I do stall I dont want to have a kick start to be playing with all the time.

I love my 400ex...like i said in my last post, i race harescrambles....I ride with a CanAm DS450 and a YFZ450....I can keep up with them tight in the woods but they can get me in a long field section....if its a short field section I can pretty much keep up with them well...

I really think you can't go wrong with gettin the 400ex....and I'm not only saying that because I own one...a lot of my friends own and race them as well...pretty good quality machines. If you do get one used ask a lot of questions....how someone takes care of a machine has to be a factor in what you are buying.

Agreed, the 400EX is not the same caliber as the new 450's. These new fourstrokes are quite a bit more performance oriented than previous ones. It would take some more serious work and probably some added displacement before you can start running with the 450's. On the other hand, the newer motors are more tempermental and less reliable.

Those questions sound good also inspect everything especially the air filter and make sure it looks good that will give you some indication of how the bike was taking care of. Then just ride it and make sure that it seems to ride ok and you can shift through the gears. I am sure someone can think of more.

If I were you;I'd make sure to get something with reverse.The 400EX didn't have reverse until a couple years ago.Another thing;if you go to the Kelley Blue Book website ( www.kbb.com ) you can see what atv's are worth before you go and pay too much.Hope this helps and welcome to the site

Edited by dirtdevil96
link didn't work