Quantcast

Fluids for my Yamaha Big Bear ATV

Catharpin

Hi,

I have a 2001 big bear 400 4x4 and was wondering what kinds of fluids I need to use. The guy I bought it from said it had all synthetic so I would like to stick with that.

For the engine oil can I just used mobil 1 or similar synthetic?

What about the differentials?

Thanks!

-Brian

Yours has the Wet brake in the rear. You have to out wet brake gear oil it. If you have put regular DO NOT RIDE IT! You can get it at the Yamaha dealer I think it's called friction modified....just ask them. Also any Kawasaki or Suzuki dealer has it as well. YOU can get 80w-90 gear oil for the front at auto zone.

That's just for the rear, your motor oil can be synthetic, lighter oil for summer, heavier for winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed, go to the dealer and just ask them, what you need just to be sure. They will have every thing you need there too. I always use synthetic oils in all my machines.

DD, what type of synthetic oil do you use? Do you get it at the atv dealer, online or auto parts store?

I've always used Valvoline ATV 4 stroke oil (not synthetic though). Valvoline.com - ATV 4-Stroke Motor Oil

th_vv749.jpg

I've seen some dealers carry: Full Synthetic ATV oil LINK

5w30.jpg0w30s.jpg0w40s.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By 86ccord
      Starting this build thread to keep up with everything on my build and hope to motivate someone!

I picked up this 2008 Yamaha Big Bear 250 2 weeks ago. A guy that I hunt with parked it at the hunt club for a year or so before I asked him if he wanted to sell. He said " fill my feeder and throw some batteries in my cameras, and you can have it". Sounds like a deal to me! 
      I have attached some pictures of how it sat under a tarp in the woods and when I got it home and cleaned up a little. 

• By JohnnyB
      Greetings, 
      Have a 88 LT80 that been sitting for a couple years. Bought a new piston, cylinder and head. Installed these, rolled it over and it quickly locks up.  Took carb apart. It was full of what appears to be 2 cycle oil. Cleaned it, but keeps locking up and 2 cycle oil continues to seap from exhaust port.  When i installed new cylinder, I noticed crankcase was full of oil.  I'm now wondering if that oil is what's getting sucked up into cylinder.  Should there be no oil in crankcase?  If that the case, how is crank and rod lubricated?  Sorry, never worked on a 2 stroke. Thanks!
    • By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Spritee1
      having an issue with the unit when running under a load up a hill or in high gear, seems like the belt is slipping, there is a clapping sound coming from the primary clutch like it releases and snaps back in. i don't think I should have a noise like that. this is a friends unit and he has already replaced the primary twice with the same result.
      not sure where to look next
    • By mga
      I see quite a few ads for that  Tribotex additive. It's kind of expensive, has anyone used it it their ATV or any other vehicle?