Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

joevee1446

brute force battery 4x4 problem

Please help, someone - anyone.

I'm trying to correct some problems with a friends Brute Force and I'm down to the last one, that I know of.

The 4X4 fuse hast to be pulled when the ATV is parked or the battery will go dead. If the fuse is not pulled the ATV's battery will go dead overnight. However, when the 4x4 fuse is pulled the ATV can sit for days and the battery will NOT go dead.

Can anyone explain and point me in the right direction to fix the problem. I'm think the 4x4 relay is bad or there has to be some sort of short circuit. The 4x4 and switch work fine, it just runs the battery down when parked and I'm getting tired of having to pull the fuse every day.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Get a digital multimeter if you don't have one and start testing the circuit, I think you have the right idea, just start checking any connection in the circuit that you can get to. Check for voltage where there shouldn't be any. Switches and relays, the actuator itself. Relays are cheap, I would replace that and go from there. As a last resort, you can always just put an on/off switch in the curcuit, it is not the best solution, but it will keep the battery from dying and would be easier than pulling the fuse.

Get a digital multimeter if you don't have one and start testing the circuit, I think you have the right idea, just start checking any connection in the circuit that you can get to. Check for voltage where there shouldn't be any. Switches and relays, the actuator itself. Relays are cheap, I would replace that and go from there. As a last resort, you can always just put an on/off switch in the curcuit, it is not the best solution, but it will keep the battery from dying and would be easier than pulling the fuse.

Dirt Demon is right on the money with that, get a multimeter and test the circuit. Do you leave it in 4WD when turning it off? With the multimiter in place, test the 4wd on and off (before shutting it down). I'm thinking 4WD actuator or switch.

What year and how many CCs? 650 or 750?

Unfortunately you need to do some electrical troubleshooting like these guys said. Get yourself a good wiring diagram/manual and multi-meter.

If you're still having issues, try:

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.
is a great source of all things Kawie ATV...

Good luck...

-TomD

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2004 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 Auto Dead Electric Solved

dead  electric   2004 arctic cat 400 4x4 auto      wire was coroded off man in harness in front of  regulator      two  red  power wires  where they join  into  one   was pulling hair out on this     start removing  tape -  low and behold  problem solved 

By axleshaft1, in Arctic Cat ATV Forum

• 1 reply
    • 2001 Quadrunner 500 Running Problems

Hi all, Picked this bike up about a month ago, and started doing some work on it. I ordered a carb kit from China, but got tired of waiting for it so I went to the bike shop today and picked up a Shindy rebuild kit. Took the carb out of soak, it has been in there for a month, blew all the ports out, cleaned what I could with a guitar string, used air as best I could to make sure everything was clear. After I was satisfied the body was clean I out the kit in it. Got the floats set to 13mm as per the manual (well 12.87 on one side and 12.92 on the other, so close), set the pilot to a little less than 2 1/2 turns out (manual says 2 3/8 turns). Put everything back together and tried to start it, it started and had a week idle. I tried adjusting the idle screw and as soon as I turned it the bike died. Backed it out and tried again, same result. Left it backed out, started it again and gave it some throttle. As soon as the throttle is touch the bike dies. Changed the spark plug for a new one and checked the spark, good and really strong. I am thinking that I have a bad petcock and am not getting enough fuel to the carburetor. So when I press the throttle I am increasing air but starving for fuel, bike can't run on air alone so it dies. Does this line of thinking make sense? I am gearing up a bottle with a fuel line in it, so I can try gravity feeding fuel to the carb, just have to wait for the silicone to dry so won't be able to test till tomorrow.  If it turns out to be a bad fuel valve, I will most likely just replace it with a universal one. If I go this route, what do I need to do with the breather line off the carburetor that used to go to the OEM petcock? Block it off or leave it open? Any help, answers or other ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated. I have a fishing trip at the end of the month and would love to have my bike running by then. 

By Coyote251, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 11 replies
    • Kawasaki Brute Force 300 KVF300 Service Manual

View File Kawasaki Brute Force 300 KVF300 Service Manual Kawasaki Brute Force 300 KVF300 Service Manual Submitter NokNok Submitted 10/31/2018 Category Kawasaki ATV  

By NokNok, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • 2003 Arctic Cat 400 Auto 4x4 problems

Little history, when it would get hot it would loose power, backfire and quit. Let it sit for an hour and it would crank right up, that is why I suspect the coil is bad. It ran when I brought it home from hunting but now the starter isn’t working thus I’m thinking relay or fuse. Engine will turn over with pull start but won’t start. Also the winch solenoid just clicks but winch won’t work. I’ve replaced the rear axles, wheel bearings, brakes, ignition switch, tires carb rebuild and other stuff and I’m frustrated and tired of working on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

By Brutus25, in Arctic Cat ATV Forum

• 2 replies
    • How much $ should I put into repairing a dead ATV?

I bought a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 3 weeks ago for $2000 and the seller only gave a quick test drive to show everything worked. After 2 hours running it died on my son (he may have swamped it). It would not restart, so the local Polaris dealer picked it up and did not see usual signs of water intake. Back firing out the exhaust. They are pulling the head to look at piston/rings but they are not sure if there are gearcase issues. Roughly $1000 for them to bore out for new piston, more if gearcase issues. My question- how much $ should I throw at this? Just looking for an ATV to go with our 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400 that my boys can run around the yard with (no long trail rides). I can (but don't want to) put another $1000-2000 into this, or should I just call it a loss and sell it for parts? I still need to get another ATV and don't want to risk getting someone else's problems. Thanks for all and any help!

By Kevin_Leduc, in General ATV Discussion

• 8 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content