Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

joevee1446

brute force battery 4x4 problem

Please help, someone - anyone.

I'm trying to correct some problems with a friends Brute Force and I'm down to the last one, that I know of.

The 4X4 fuse hast to be pulled when the ATV is parked or the battery will go dead. If the fuse is not pulled the ATV's battery will go dead overnight. However, when the 4x4 fuse is pulled the ATV can sit for days and the battery will NOT go dead.

Can anyone explain and point me in the right direction to fix the problem. I'm think the 4x4 relay is bad or there has to be some sort of short circuit. The 4x4 and switch work fine, it just runs the battery down when parked and I'm getting tired of having to pull the fuse every day.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Get a digital multimeter if you don't have one and start testing the circuit, I think you have the right idea, just start checking any connection in the circuit that you can get to. Check for voltage where there shouldn't be any. Switches and relays, the actuator itself. Relays are cheap, I would replace that and go from there. As a last resort, you can always just put an on/off switch in the curcuit, it is not the best solution, but it will keep the battery from dying and would be easier than pulling the fuse.

Get a digital multimeter if you don't have one and start testing the circuit, I think you have the right idea, just start checking any connection in the circuit that you can get to. Check for voltage where there shouldn't be any. Switches and relays, the actuator itself. Relays are cheap, I would replace that and go from there. As a last resort, you can always just put an on/off switch in the curcuit, it is not the best solution, but it will keep the battery from dying and would be easier than pulling the fuse.

Dirt Demon is right on the money with that, get a multimeter and test the circuit. Do you leave it in 4WD when turning it off? With the multimiter in place, test the 4wd on and off (before shutting it down). I'm thinking 4WD actuator or switch.

What year and how many CCs? 650 or 750?

Unfortunately you need to do some electrical troubleshooting like these guys said. Get yourself a good wiring diagram/manual and multi-meter.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      Theres a horse farm I work/worked at and they have a Rubicon (500cc)  think its a 04.  Its been having starting issues.  First time it wouldnt start, the owner said it had a new battery in it (this is about a year ago I guess..).  I replaced the solenoid and then the starter.  the battery was dead so I jumped it and then it started fine after the battery charged.  about a month later, same problem.  I swapped the solenoid back out with the old one(still had it)- nothing.  the owner had another battery she said was good, swapped that out and it fired up.  Now, today, same problem again... owner says the starter was sluggish and then the battery went dead.  Went out and jumped it again and it ran fine (its a carburated atv so its not fond of under freezing temperatures...).  the stater is working cause when I got there, the battery had 7-9v on it (multimeter said it was rising and falling (with the key on)).  I jumped it off  our van and rode it around for say 5-10mins.  when I shut it off again, battery is reading 14v with key off and 13v with it on.  thats as far as I've gotten..  I asked the owner to let me know if anything else happened later on..  What I'm wondering is if its just the battery, or maybe is the regulator rectifier not working letting the battery be overcharged cause it to die?  And then again, the bike could have sat with the key and headlight on overnight for all I know..
    • By JacobSlabach
      Got a 04 Sportsman 500 that wasnt running- owner said it needed a stater and a new battery.  It ran rough (been sitting out in the weather for a while).  A friend and I started by adding a new battery and it would start barely with the choke and his hand over the air-filter.  I decided to install the new battery in the holder on the side.  we had it on the rack because the old on was still in the bike.  I tried to be nifty by turning the battery to put the terminals in an easier spot to get to, but forgot to reverse the cables too.  In a sentence, I reversed the positive and negative on the battery like a dummy.  When we discovered my mistake and corrected it, we turned on the bike, but the display did not light up and the key did not turn on the starter.  jumping the solenoid worked the starter, so we thought the solenoid just burned up when I reversed the pos and neg...  new solenoid and no difference.  what have I burned up?  Also, the shifter does not seem to do anything in the trans.  it slides back and forth like its stripped in the trans.  any help would be appreciated!!
      I think the biggest issue right now is the electrical.
    • By Wolds Alpacas
      Hello - I just found you today and hope this forum might help with a number of issues with several quads I have...
      I have a Kawasaki KLF185 Bayou which is in bits - bought as such and never managed to get going.  I have not had a spark and tried two OEM CDI's on it.  I have replaced the coil and plug and checked the wiring to CDI.  I have also tried to use other CDI's (DC ones) run from the battery.  Nothing, still no spark, so I have managed to find a new pickup coil and hope that resolves things - any input on this would be appreciated.
      I also have a Yamaha YFM225 which sounds really noisy exhaust wise.  It had no baffle so I bought and installed that but it seemed to make no difference.  There are no leaks from the manifold or exhaust but the damm thing just sounds so loud!
      Thirdly I have just ordered a Suzuki King Quad 300 which should be here this week - it is described as "with slow running needing attention"  I am as a matter of course going to put a new spark plug in, change the oil and oil filter and blow out the air filter with compressed air - anything else I should consider?  Also, the headlights do not work - I want to change them out for LED ones anyway though. 
      I notice that there is a library here, but until I have engaged ten times here, I am unable to download anything.
      Thanks in advance.
    • By Ajmboy
      With this cold snap, I noticed yesterday that the battery on my grizzly was a little weak. even clicked a few times before I got it to start. I'm thinking of picking up a batter tender/ trickle charger so was wondering what people use to keep their ATV battery charged up. I was looking at these on amazon. They both have good reviews.

or this one

Kind of like this one because if the accessory plug

• By STEP MONSTER
      as soon as key is turned on 30 amp fuse blows. replaced battery & starter relay. no luck.
  • Similar Tagged Content